The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Raymond? Do We Really Want Him?

CanucksJay

Booth vs Calgary (clock times of shift not noted): https://docs.google....5iTEYzMWc#gid=0

Raymond vs CGY (clock times of shift not noted): https://docs.google....V1OXZsQ1E#gid=0

This doesn't include OT when not a lot happened (imho). You could probably give Raymond some defensive points and Booth a +1 pass reception for corralling that lob pass at the end but I didn't bother. Oh and I can't remember if that Raymond set up for Edler was in the 3rd or OT but if it was OT give Raymond an extra +1 offensive positioning, +1 passing & +1 scoring chance, otherwise I've tallied it as a 3rd period play.

Oh yeah, I couldn't tally hits/blocked shots because I was doing it on the fly but I got most of the other stuff and I only noted def/off positioning as a plus or a minus if it impacted the play (otherwise being in proper position is simply expected). I'll be interested to see how close I get to Bodee's.

Booth vs Calgary (clock times of shift not noted): https://docs.google....5iTEYzMWc#gid=0

Raymond vs CGY (clock times of shift not noted): https://docs.google....V1OXZsQ1E#gid=0

This doesn't include OT when not a lot happened (imho). You could probably give Raymond some defensive points and Booth a +1 pass reception for corralling that lob pass at the end but I didn't bother. Oh and I can't remember if that Raymond set up for Edler was in the 3rd or OT but if it was OT give Raymond an extra +1 offensive positioning, +1 passing & +1 scoring chance, otherwise I've tallied it as a 3rd period play.

Oh yeah, I couldn't tally hits/blocked shots because I was doing it on the fly but I got most of the other stuff and I only noted def/off positioning as a plus or a minus if it impacted the play (otherwise being in proper position is simply expected). I'll be interested to see how close I get to Bodee's.

Here is my analysis of the game. The times I have posted is the time that was left in the period. I didnt initially write the times for the 1st few shifts but decided to write it in so that it was easier for everyone to follow

There was WAY too much info to follow the guidelines.

I felt like my assessment was fair

First Period

Raymond

1)Chips puck out of zone past Jay Bo (1st shift)

2) Comes up with puck off face off, takes shot (2nd shift)

Next face off, Bouma wins puck battle and Flames rush up ice

Decent job on pressure on defensive zone to get puck out despite skating past the puck which was kept in at blue line

3)Great backcheck and good defensive help followed by great rush and a nice shot 12:10

4) Good job going to the net on the 2-1 8:55

5)Decent play defensivly 7:40

6)PK Good job following Brodie at the point 4:20

Booth

1) Beats d-man down and take aggressive shot from bad angle (1st shift)

2)Bad pass off Backlund across ice, goes to the net afterwards (2nd shift)

3)Nice hit on Gio aloong the boards in the offensive zone (3rd shift)

4)13:22 Good forecheck pressure to get the puck turned overand then goes to the front of the net

12:49 Good challenege along boards at blue line to help get puck out

5)Rushes outside on Jay Bo but realizes cant beat him and button hooks. Poor chip in which Flames control easily. Booth follows up by hitting the d-man 11:23

6)Unnoticable shift

7) Couldnt get puck out of zone, good defensive play at 2:47 in front of net. Inability to get puck out eventually leads to Flames goal

1st Period Analysis

Raymond's defensive play was good and he had a good scoring chance by skating to the middle of the ice with speed, nice release

Booth was pretty unnoticeable. Played the body more but his inability to get the puck out resulted in the lone goal. I don't know how much of the goal was his fault but I'm pretty sure if I had my Raymond hate goggles on and Raymond did what Booth did, I'd be tough on him so to be fair, I will say Booth should have won posession of the puck against the pinching d-man and either reversed it or chipped the puck out.

Edge: Raymond

2nd Period

Raymond

1)18:22 Raymond forechecks but cant come up with puck (skates by it instead of staying with it) which leads to counter rush up ice

2)Good shot at 17:50 with traffic in front of the net

3)12:45 Good Stick in neutral zone on PK

4)11:40 Good pressure on dman to turn puck over and get the puck out

11:20 Good backcheck on Kotstopolous

1:30 Good shift, skated with speed, made poor pass that was fortunate not to be intercepted

Booth

1)19:50 Good job playing the body

2)16:35 Falls to ice and misses chance to get puck out of the zone leading to pressure in the d-zone

3 16:17. Good job controlling pass of the skates, button hook and nice pass to Daniel

15:45 Loses puck battle to Gio

15:35 Bad pass broken up by Backlund

9:40 Good pass to Duco in the slot while being triple team along the boards setting up a great scoring chance

6:36 Skates past prime shooting area and takes poor shot from bad angle on PP

5:00 Nice pass to the point followed by aggressively going for rebound hacking at Kipper

4:43 Nice forcheck on Gio allowing Canucks to keep puck in followed by good board battle with Gio behind the net where Booth protects puck and comes to the faceoff circle. He then goes to front of the net to create screen

2nd Period Analysis

Raymond gets bumped up to Booth line but so far while Raymond has been solid defensively and had the 1 good rush, Booth has been more physical and been more of a net presence being noticeable on the ice.

Edge: Booth

3rd Period

Raymond

16:19 Poor icing by Raymond. I think he tried to spring Booth but was way off

16:10 Draws penalty (dive but we'll take it)

12:02 Raymond comes in fast on the forecheck but bails by not initiating contact and trying to jump out of the way while trying to step around Butler on the forecheck

11:56 Goes to front of the net freeing up space for booth's rebound goal

10:56 Great work along end boards outbattling 2 Flames and stalling while linemates are changing. Eventually Hodgson comes in to take the puck

1:15 Nice forcheck on Jay Bo, good working protecting puck in the offensive zone. Circles and takes shot that gets blocked but Bitz almost puts it in.

Booth

6:38 Nice tip pass to Kesler

13:50 nice forecheck

11:58 Nice hit along the side boards and frees up puck to the point and then goes to the side of the net for rebound goal. Nice hands and quick release on rebound

3:35 Loses battle with Iggy, eventually gets puck out and then makes nice pass to Hansen to create scoring chance

0:35 North South with good speed, pass a bit off the mark to bieksa but still creates a good chance, eventually makes way to front of the net and causes panic leading to turnover to Hamhuis at the point

3rd Period Analysis

Raymond loses spot on 2nd line while AV juggles to find scoring. Puts Hansen in to replace Raymond but this could be to even out scoring as Raymond's looked pretty good tonight as well.

Booth continues to get stronger as the game goes on and mix of physical play and net presence scores him a goal.

Edge: Booth

OT

Raymond

3:38 Great pass attempt to Edler in OT

1:00 Great final shift in OT

Booth

0:03 Great job to take the lob from Edler to break in at end of the game.

OT Analysis

While Booth had virtually no playing time, Raymond looked great in OT with the open ice. Used his great speed to create offensive chances and made a great play to Edler which was broken up on a good defensive play by Cammi.

Overall analysis:

Both players had a good game.

I felt that Raymond was solid defensively more consistently than Booth. Raymond seemed to have more jump in the 1st as well as the OT when the ice was wide open.

Booth was definitely more physical and played more in the tougher areas of the ice (along the baords and in front of the net)

I can't give Booth too much of an advantage on his goal because the location of the ice where Booth scored the goal wasn't really in a tough area. Booth was fortunate on the bounce and roles could easily have been reversed with Raymond shooting the puck and Booth occupying the space in front of the net (like Raymond did) but who knows if Raymond would have had the quick hands to get the rebound and hit the net with it.

I was happy with the play of both players and I don't think either one clearly outplayed the other.

While Raymond was solid defensively, aside from that rush in the 1st period and the OT, he was non existent in the offensive zone.

Booth on the other hand was harder on the forecheck more consistently and went to the front of the net more to hack away at rebounds etc.

If you look at that in terms of salary, I would have to say the you got more bang for your buck with Raymond than Booth but in the end, Booth did pot the tying goal and was more of a presence offensively.

I'm not really sure why we decided to compare the 2 players because I think they bring different elements of the game.

Raymond had a game that would be considered an "A" for a 3rd liner but if he was top 6, his offensive production was not enough to warrant 2nd line time (which might be why AV demoted him)

I dont think he brings enough offense to be a 2nd liner but he plays the 3rd line rold quite sufficiently. He doesnt lay the body but he seems to get the job done defensively.

Are we good with that going into the playoffs?

A solid 3rd line defensive player who has the ability to chip in occasionally with a goal or 2?

My thoughts still remain the same. If MG can hold a gun to his head and make him sign a long term deal at the deadline at a bargain price (like he did to Burrows) I think we keep him.

However, if we get a solid offer in a trade for him (bonafide top 6 winger) or a top 4 d-man and May Ray has no intentions on taking a long term cheap contract, we trade him.

It was in OT.

I suppose we have to consider that there was more room out there, which definitely favors a speedy, shifty player like Raymond, but it was a very nice set-up and only a heads-up defensive play by the flame on the back check kept the game alive for Calgary.

Overall, I thought he played pretty well (even though he didn't find the net) and judging by the amount he played in OT, so did the coaching staff.

Archived