The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Raymond? Do We Really Want Him?

CanucksJay

Guest gumballthechewy

I've been waiting for a thread like this.

After Clutch made the Burrows thread and that other guy made the Bieksa hate thread, they both stepped it up big time.

I hope this marks the start of the turnaround for Raymond.

As a third liner player he is excellent defensively in the playoffs. We have no one right now in our system even close to being as capable and ready to play. Not every single player lights it up in the playoffs either.

I mean you could be critical of Higgins too and say he's way slower than Raymond, doesn't have great puck handling and is not overly strong on the backcheck. Should we get rid of him too?

You forgot to mention that he also has chemistry with Kesler. They look great together when they are both on their game. Flying all over the ice. So, he can step to that line and play too which is a bonus, he already knows the players and the system.

Lastly this is all kind of regurgitated crap, like Luongo always bellflops. You can't always cookie cutter everything. Raymond doesn't do your little play scenario every time either like others have tried to insinuate over the last couple years.

Oh yeah, he was probably our best forechecker in the playoffs last year as well.

I like how he plays. I like guys who back check, particularly when they are wingers. In the new NHL where two line passes are permitted and the "stretch pass" is so common, his speed and defensive responsibility are under-rated - and those things are constants - scoring is not - not even for the best of players.

Also I keep hearing this thing - his style of play doesn't suit the playoffs... By that logic Zetterburg, Datsyiuk, and Lidstrom don't "suit the playoffs" - they are skill and finesse guys... who have SC rings. As a matter of fact - if you look at Lidstrom, he never hits anyone (a few years back he had 1 body check in the entire playoffs), he doesn't block shots, he has never had a single fight, and he doesn't cheap shot anyone. Nevertheless, he is on a short list of the all time best defensemen...and not bad in the playoffs either.

I do like his defensive abilities. This was evidenced by 2 GREAT back-checks in the Chicago game.

Is that all we need in a 3rd liner?

I disagree about the chemistry with Kesler. They are both shoot first guys and they dont use each other effectively.

I dont think he was our best forechecker in the playoffs. I thought there were many other guys ahead of him like Torres, Hansen, Lapierre without counting the stars like Kesler and Burrows.

When healthy he can put up about 50 points a season. That's second line numbers since he was on the second line the past couple years, he is on the 3rd line now and is still putting up numbers.

And anyone who thinks he is our WORST PLAYER, we are pretty lucky! Be happy with what we have.

I like how he plays. I like guys who back check, particularly when they are wingers. In the new NHL where two line passes are permitted and the "stretch pass" is so common, his speed and defensive responsibility are under-rated - and those things are constants - scoring is not - not even for the best of players.

Also I keep hearing this thing - his style of play doesn't suit the playoffs... By that logic Zetterburg, Datsyiuk, and Lidstrom don't "suit the playoffs" - they are skill and finesse guys... who have SC rings. As a matter of fact - if you look at Lidstrom, he never hits anyone (a few years back he had 1 body check in the entire playoffs), he doesn't block shots, he has never had a single fight, and he doesn't cheap shot anyone. Nevertheless, he is on a short list of the all time best defensemen...and not bad in the playoffs either.

he hates Coho , for some reason he never passes to him . He seems to always try to do it all himself in the offensive zone and then puts himself in a tough position , which leads to a turnover or a shot 5 miles off the net. Yes his back check is great but that's about it

Lucky goal defected off Detroit d-man's pants. During play-by-play, John Garrett said his shot would have missed the net by a foot and the d-man was trying to get out of the way but it deflected off him into the net.

CDC people say Raymond's shot always misses the net. Well this shot was another off target attermpt that got a lucky deflection.

he hates Coho , for some reason he never passes to him . He seems to always try to do it all himself in the offensive zone and then puts himself in a tough position , which leads to a turnover or a shot 5 miles off the net. Yes his back check is great but that's about it

I support the team and was ecstatic when Raymond scored. As a Canucks fan, I don't care how they score. If every goal is off a d-man's butt, I will take it.

but the guy is right. Garret said like 3 times about how Raymond's shot was going wide and get a fortunate bounce of Stuart.

Raymond's heart and desire ins't the problem. I know the guy gives 100% every shift. The problem is what he actually brings to the table.

The fact is,he spent half the game last night on his hands and knees. (Seriously? How many times did he fall down?)

And then he took a poor shot that was missing the net from the half-boards which got a fortunate bounce.

As a fan we'll take it but at the same time, I think you'd be pretty naive to say that was his best game All Season because he scored a fluky goal.

Archived