The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Raymond? Do We Really Want Him?

CanucksJay

I support the team and was ecstatic when Raymond scored. As a Canucks fan, I don't care how they score. If every goal is off a d-man's butt, I will take it.

but the guy is right. Garret said like 3 times about how Raymond's shot was going wide and get a fortunate bounce of Stuart.

Raymond's heart and desire ins't the problem. I know the guy gives 100% every shift. The problem is what he actually brings to the table.

The fact is,he spent half the game last night on his hands and knees. (Seriously? How many times did he fall down?)

And then he took a poor shot that was missing the net from the half-boards which got a fortunate bounce.

As a fan we'll take it but at the same time, I think you'd be pretty naive to say that was his best game All Season because he scored a fluky goal.

No idea why you felt the need to put 2 unrelated quotes together to make it appear one was in response to mine when in fact it wasn't and then say that one (both?) was wrong instead of just posting your own comments to stand on their own, but ok...

If you'd actually read my post instead of assuming "naivity" on the part of anyone who doesn't agree with your obvious anti-Raymond stance you'll see that I didn't actually mention his goal at all, only said last night was the best game I've seen from him this season. And I stand by that. Lucky bounces/deflections are a part of the game and even a crappy shot is always better than none. And that goal perfectly illustates why. That being said, I don't get my opinions second hand and from what I saw I don't think it was going wide. It may not have had much chance of getting past Howard without the deflection, but again, that's part of the game and the very reason every team in the league knows to shoot at the net whenever they can because lucky deflections count just as much as pretty goals.

Raymond was all go last night and unlike previous games where he seemed unsure of where to go in anticipation of the play, last night he seemed far more sure of himself and far more confortable anticipating the play. He made several nice plays to take away a puck or hold up a player at center ice and he was active along the boards throughout almost the entire game.

But hey, if you don't think last night was his best game of the season which game do you think he played better in?

I thought your opening post was bad, but congrats on unseating it.

Garret did say the shot was going two feet wide. Of course we all know that Cheech never exaggerates...I looked for a replay that showed the shot going wide, but it never came. The only thing that Garrett had right was that it hit the defender. Kind of like Kes' goal against the 'HawksBTW:

I don't know what game you were watching, but you obviously had your hater glasses on. Raymond did play well last night, with or without the tying goal. And he most certainly did not spend "half the game on his hands and knees".

Not only is this thread unoriginal, but it is inaccurate as well. Nice first post. You'll fit right in around here....

I'm pretty sure his best game of the season was the 1st or 2nd game back from injury against Colorado.

That was when I was extremely surprised by his drive as he made the ballsy plays like planting his feet and driving to the net. Going after rebounds aggressively, etc

Obviously Half the game is an exaggeration but I would be quite certain to say that he fell down more than any other Canuck yesterday

Also Kes' goal against the hawks was from a prime location so defender or not, Kes has the ability to score from that shooting spot and we've seen it many times. Raymond's shot on the other hand, had ZERO chance of going in if it didnt hit the defender and changed directions. Did we even have a screen in front of the goalie? The guys took a wrister which was missing the net from the half wall with no screen.

The fact that you compare that to Kes' shot makes me think you have no idea what you are talking about

No we really dont.

Sorry but I have to say I dislike Raymond last night i thought he finally hit the net with a shot upon further review it was going the usual 3 feet wide and happend to bounce in. Yes Raymond brings speed and has potential and just had surgery and blah blah blah..

Regardless i still think he is not as great as alot of people make him out to be. He's had the same potential every year and really done nothing to improve on driveing to the net or geting in the dirty areas to score goals. He is a outside player and is hardly even effective at being that. I hope we dump him at trade deadline and get someone who will make our team better ex. a depth D men or a more efective grinding forward who can be strong on the puck and finish most of his chances unlike Raymond.

"he hates Coho"

You said he hated Hodgson, implying knowledge of a personal dislike. Where do you get off putting something like that on here. You may be justified in giving any opinion you like on what happens on the ice but you are NOT entitled to attack a player's team camaraderie unless you provide proof.

I say again, provide a source or retract it.

You may or may not be aware of the damage you do to a players reputation by stating some twisted personal opinion and proffering it as fact.

lol my opinion is gonna due harm to his reputation that's funny . I didn't mean he hates him literally. I was just saying that it really seems like he won't pass to Cody. There has been times the last hand full of games where it looks like Cody is open yet Mason doesn't pass.

Lighten up! This a discussion board , no need to get all agro

I do like his defensive abilities. This was evidenced by 2 GREAT back-checks in the Chicago game.

Is that all we need in a 3rd liner?

I disagree about the chemistry with Kesler. They are both shoot first guys and they dont use each other effectively.

I dont think he was our best forechecker in the playoffs. I thought there were many other guys ahead of him like Torres, Hansen, Lapierre without counting the stars like Kesler and Burrows.

Lucky goal defected off Detroit d-man's pants. During play-by-play, John Garrett said his shot would have missed the net by a foot and the d-man was trying to get out of the way but it deflected off him into the net.

CDC people say Raymond's shot always misses the net. Well this shot was another off target attermpt that got a lucky deflection.

raymond doesnt bring enough to the table for a third liner... and with hodgson and hansen playing the best hockey of their careers, i dont see why we need to keep this fast skating puck hog any longer. theres plenty of 3rd line players that could really gel with hodgson, hes already got a better shot and better hockey sense than raymond.. might as well put him with someone who can pass.

Hodgson 30 points in 51 games

Hansen 26 points in 51 games

Raymond 13 points in 26 games

So Raymond is producing about the same as two guys "playing the best hockey of their careers" without the benefit of offseason training, training camp, preseason and the first 25 games of the season while coming back from a serious injury....yet he's not good enough for our third line? Sure.

Now look at the past month...

Raymond, 2 goals and 5 points

Hansen, 2 goals and 6 points

Hodgson, 6 goals and 10 points

Hansen also brings similar speed, equal checking and a much more physical game to the table.

Hodgson with more goals than either of them have points, PLUS several clutch goals and a shootout goal, is in another league from those two, or even anyone aside from the Sedins right now.

Archived