The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks being held back

Erik Karlsson

Canucks are being held back by coaching imo. AV's system he uses is getting too easy to coach against for other teams, especially when they decide to play disciplined, there goes our gameplan of winning by our power play.

How many times have we seen AV get outcoached in the playoffs? If Burr didn't score that goal last year AV wouldn't be here. Kesler also carried our team through the Nashville series.

Our team is one of the most skilled in the NHL they aren't winning because of AV. I mean if he's not going to give the best rookie of the month more ice time especially when the Sedins look dead tired and not there like last night, atleast put him in the shootout where he has been our most effective shooter, but no, not even after his breakaway goal last game.

He doesn't even run the power play Newell Brown does. His job is to get the team ready to play a full 60 mins and play good 5 on 5 hockey, but it seems our team never plays for a full 60 and we are one of the worst teams 5 on 5, how is that possible with all the skill and speed we have?

One of the worst coaches I've ever seen at changing his gameplan on the fly, I could probably do a better job. :lol:

Think about it, if the canucks got a new well respected coach, Ballard,Hodgson,Kesler and some other players will all have some more jump to their game, atleast that's how I see it.

Anyways that's my rant, I guarantee we would of made it to the finals with any coach last year if we still had Brown running the power play, hopefully Gillis can get some help at the trade deadline because obviously he won't fire AV this season.

Canucks are being held back by coaching imo. AV's system he uses is getting too easy to coach against for other teams, especially when they decide to play disciplined, there goes our gameplan of winning by our power play.

<p>So what coach do you suggest we replace him with?  I challenge you to find one candidate (whether they currently have a job or not) who runs a team that never takes a night or shift off, is always running smoothly, never has an off game, and never goes through slow stretches.  A team where every single player is always 100% effective, and never has a slump. And NHL 12 on easy mode doesn't count.

Are you talking about yesterday's game? If so, you don't know crap.

Detroit Vancouver games are played at a whole different level and the Detroit were playing it better than the Van players yesterday, plain and simple. They wanted it more and were sacrificing everything to get it, similar to a playoff game like the last couple times we played them.

AV was the one that tried something different and somehow manufactured a point out of that debaucle and a real chance to win a game in which the players played like crap.

I don't care what anyone says about the system. Not getting a shot until the 13 minute mark of the second with any NHL system has got the lie with the players.

More evidence might back up your argument more.

I like AV, but the one thing he needs to change is communication with players. Some of the best coaches in the league are 'known' communicators : Trotz, Laviolette, Babcock. It's well documented AV doesn't communicate with his guys. Relationships fail, businesses sink, and parents raise neglected kids if there's no communication. The Canucks are a business - players are people, AV needs to communicate with his players.

Detroit lost 7-2 to Montreal. Boston got swept in all four games against Carolina (only one game was close). Chicago lost 8-4 against Edmonton.

ALL teams have tough stretches that they go thru. ALL teams have 'bad' days - you might have had one once, too.

AV and MG are going to make moves that in 20-20 hindsight, they shouldn't have.

We are tied for 3rd in the league. Guaranteed to win our division. +36 on GF/GA. Louie played marvellous in reg and OT. Kesler is scoring. CoHo is scoring. Sedins are top 10 in scoring. Sami is skating.

What more can you ask for? The playoffs are a few months away....

Our team is one of the most skilled in the NHL they aren't winning because of AV. I mean if he's not going to give the best rookie of the month more ice time especially when the Sedins look dead tired and not there like last night, atleast put him in the shootout where he has been our most effective shooter, but no, not even after his breakaway goal last game.

Guest Lelongooo

I know what you mean OP it's terrible. The canucks are in 3rd place in the NHL and 2nd place in the western conference. I've never seen the canucks as brutal as they are right now. And what about the time the canucks made it to game 7 the stanley cup finals. Alain Vigneault with the Jack Adams like c'mon, that's a terrible honour, may as well have given him a trophy of a horse butt. I can see why you think he's terrible!

Are you talking about yesterday's game? If so, you don't know crap.

Detroit Vancouver games are played at a whole different level and the Detroit were playing it better than the Van players yesterday, plain and simple. They wanted it more and were sacrificing everything to get it, similar to a playoff game like the last couple times we played them.

AV was the one that tried something different and somehow manufactured a point out of that debaucle and a real chance to win a game in which the players played like crap.

I don't care what anyone says about the system. Not getting a shot until the 13 minute mark of the second with any NHL system has got the lie with the players.

This team has been playing poor hockey since the boston game, and still managed to go 5-2-2. When a team can do that, I don't think there's much you can complain about.

Like other people have said, every team goes through slumps throughout an 82 game season.

I've never been an AV fan (got so tired of hearing the fan prattle of him that I left this board years ago, hoping the Jestiers (sp) of the world would be more tenacious than me) but am a big Hodgson follower, so for sure I'm biased on this topic. Still, biases are formed for a reason (or many) and even the biased have valid points...

What I can't fathom from last night's game is how certain people have referred to AV being so great for juggling lines in the 3rd after players such as Hodgson were "invisible" for the first two periods - I mean, how does that logic work exactly?

For periods 1+2, AV promoted the uninspiring Raymond rather than the productive Hodgson, ostensibly because Coho is a center - except that he then moved CoHo to wing anyway, centered by Manny. Huh?

Even with 1 winger sick so that it was necessary to have a defense play wing, AV somehow managed to keep Rookie of the Month (and top scoring Canuck for the same month) down to 3:19 in the 1st period, and make him virtually "invisible" for the 2nd - invisible unless one was looking at the bench where Hodgon was left sitting until 10:33 into the 2nd, at which point he was permitted his 1st of only 2 shifts for the entire period. Little wonder the kid had barely gotten onto the ice before another was scored against his line - how does any player get into the flow of the game with new linemates when he's getting only 2 shifts in the period?

We're down a winger, the defense fill-in is limited to less than 3 mins on the ice, Raymond, Hansen, Booth, etc. all with 17-20+ mins each, but CoHo can't get on the ice for more than 2 shifts in a period?

How is that good resource and time management??? If a coach can't find ice time for our most (currently) consistent and productive player even when down other forwards, how is that a good coach???

Exactly the AV love on these boards are rediculous, he is terrible at developing young players, wouldn't give Shirokov or Grabner a chance, Grabner was killing it on the 2nd line until he got injured and then he never got another fair chance..

He almost ruined Hodgson with his comments a few years back, but Hodgson is a special player and that's why he's still doing so great under the lousy ice time he gets here. Raymond should never get more ice time than him, simple as that.

People say he developed Burrows and Kesler, LOL, Burrows was just a grinder, the SEDINS helped develop his offensive game, and Kesler developed all on his own, look at his work ethic.

Archived