The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael Gillis is grossly overrated

Lemieux

Ahahaha!! You should have given me a minus - as a tribute to Mario = Floater = Cherry-picker!

Yah ok buddy, you have obviously never watched Mario play. He dominated from the get go. He made all of his teamates better (see Rob Brown) and drug the penguins kicking and screaming from last place in the league (when he was drafted) to back to back Stanley cup winners in the early 90s. At 1.88 ppg over an NHL carrer that was plagued with back injuries and cancer, he won the Art Ross 6 Times, the Conn Smythe Twice, the Hart 3 times and the Calder I guess they give these awards to Overrated floaters Huh?

You have zero hockey creditability after your assinine assesment of one of the greatest players to ever play the sport.

Yes, I did grow up watching Mario play... if you remember that this thread is about Mike Gillis being over-rated, and keep my comment in context (did you notice the name of the OP? or the fact that he claims Ehrhoff was Gillis' only notable acquisition, kind of ironic as well considering your name is Hamhuis' Beard?) - you might have a sense of humour about it... your first comment was quite funny, this one you seem to be getting your left Bulin in a knot...

Yes, I did grow up watching Mario play... if you remember that this thread is about Mike Gillis being over-rated, and keep my comment in context, you might have a sense of humour about it...your first comment was funny, this one you seem to be getting your left Bulin in a knot...

Your comment has zero context to this thread, what did Mario have to with Gillis in the first place, you brought it up and now you tell me to stay on topic?

Not to mention the OP could have taken his name after Claude Lemieux or maybe he is really into politics and took his name after Pierre Lemieux or maybe he goes to UBC and loves his Economics Professor Thomas Lemieux, you don't know!

Well for the original topic the op is just wrong, how many GMs brought us to one win of the Stanley Cup. Not to mention the OP just focuses on the trades and signings rather than all the other stuff MG has implemented from scouting to player health regimes. I think MG has the respect and appreciation of the players and coaching staff. My only knock against GM MG would be that since he was an amazing player agent before he became GM, I think some other GMs really still hold a grudge over that and therefore are maybe more hesitant to trade with him.

This guy is grossly overrated.

He has come up with bad contracts after bad contracts.

Overpaying Ballard, Booth, Sundin (thank goodness he did not take the 2-year $20mil contract), Demitra (RIP), and Luongo. These are good players, but definitely not at the salary that they are making. Now they are really stuck with Luongo, an older goalie with more and more mileage. This guy was overused in Florida, and you just don't see him playing at the same level 2 or 3 years down the road. This situation has caused the whole Schneider thing. Schneider looks like a young solid number one that could carry the Canucks into the next decade. He has solid moves, unlike the Sieve Cloutier. He's a calming presence. Because of the no-trade clause to Luongo, Schneider has to be moved.

People defend Gillis and say that he had got the Canucks into the finals. The main pieces, i.e. Kesler, Sedins, Edler, Bieksa, Salo, Burrows were all pieces from the past regimes. The only guy that Gillis could truly claim to be a valuable asset was ehrhoff.

Gillis is really sacrifing the future of the team for immediate gains. It's really sad to see.

regards,

G.

Mike Gillis grossly overrated??

Mario Lemieux is one of the most overrated players of all time??

I swear a couple of you must drink then come on here and proceed to just humiliate yourself in public.

minus.png

QFT and Awesome Sig!!!

OP is spot on. Modern day sports media are just lackeys for the home team so you never hear any real criticism of Gillis but there is lots to go around. Just because he studies their bowel movements it doesn't mean he's some super GM. It's been a revolving door of hacks around the core that he inherited. We would be Columbus if it wasn't for the previous regimes.

This guy is grossly overrated.

He has come up with bad contracts after bad contracts.

Overpaying Ballard, Booth, Sundin (thank goodness he did not take the 2-year $20mil contract), Demitra (RIP), and Luongo. These are good players, but definitely not at the salary that they are making. Now they are really stuck with Luongo, an older goalie with more and more mileage. This guy was overused in Florida, and you just don't see him playing at the same level 2 or 3 years down the road. This situation has caused the whole Schneider thing. Schneider looks like a young solid number one that could carry the Canucks into the next decade. He has solid moves, unlike the Sieve Cloutier. He's a calming presence. Because of the no-trade clause to Luongo, Schneider has to be moved.

People defend Gillis and say that he had got the Canucks into the finals. The main pieces, i.e. Kesler, Sedins, Edler, Bieksa, Salo, Burrows were all pieces from the past regimes. The only guy that Gillis could truly claim to be a valuable asset was ehrhoff.

Gillis is really sacrifing the future of the team for immediate gains. It's really sad to see.

calm down, Schneids is a canuck and he is an RFA this offseason: which means Gillis could match and keep him.

Now the thing i wanted to comment on was Sundin. If anything could be said to be a bad idea luring Sundin here with that offer was maybe the closest to a 'mistake' from your whole list, but hear me out for a moment. He ended up coming for 5million, due to the pro rated contract, and he scored 28 points in half a season, Further, the Godfather of European Players *he was the first none north american to be drafted in the number one spot in 1989* is from Sweden, and his coming here may have played a heavy part in the Twins re-signing with us in the offseason. Perhaps it was a back room deal, we will never know. "We will re-sign if you bring Mats Sundin here and pay him 5million, Mats will then help us fund the ice complex in Ornskoldsvik, nudge nudge wink wink" I am just supposing, and have no source, but the thing is, we don't know how big an impact Mats had on the back to back trophy winning twins staying in Vancouver.

Also your troll thread about firing Luongo could have gone in any other luongo thread, lol.

OP is spot on. Modern day sports media are just lackeys for the home team so you never hear any real criticism of Gillis but there is lots to go around. Just because he studies their bowel movements it doesn't mean he's some super GM. It's been a revolving door of hacks around the core that he inherited. We would be Columbus if it wasn't for the previous regimes.

If we still had the previous regime, we would have depth guys like Bulis, Chouinard, Cowen, Isbister, et al instead of guys like Higgins, Lappy, Malhotra and Booth, I'm sorry these character guys Gillis got aren't even in the same Hack league as the Burke and Nonis' depth pylons.

While I do agree that Gillis inherited much of the core, he still had to sign them all to reasonable cap friendly contracts which he did very well.

Hamhuis'Beard

I think you are protesting a bit much - other than that sarcastic comment, the rest of what I said was actually fairly reasonable.

No - Mario is not the most over-rated player of all time - that was a tongue-in-cheek comment that mirrors the claim that Gillis is "grossly over-rated". Yes, I assumed that Lemieux refers to the most notable Lemieux in hockey history, and given this is a hockey site, it didn't occur to me that the OP may have chosen that name because of a UBC professor - you got me there. I'm going to give you a plus one for that one.

Of course Mario was great, but he did have a little help dragging the Penguins out of last place - a few of the guys who played for the 1991 Penguins (their first Stanley Cup) - Ron Francis, Bryan Trottier, Joe Mullen, Mark Recchi, Kevin Stevens, Jaromir Jagr, Barry Pederson, Larry Murphy, Paul Coffey, Tom Barrasso... Pretty much a championship team with or without Lemieux.

A revolving door of hacks? If that is the case, the entire NHL is full of hacks...

Everything Gillis does has a point.

Sundin was brought in at that high price to show that Vancouver was a prime destination for free agents.

I'd say it's worked in attracting people: Booth and Ballard are definite upgrades over Chouinard and Carney.

Wasn't Booth traded for Samuelson?

Hamhuis'Beard

I think you are protesting a bit much - other than that sarcastic comment, the rest of what I said was actually fairly reasonable.

No - Mario is not the most over-rated player of all time - that was a tongue-in-cheek comment that mirrors the claim that Gillis is "grossly over-rated". Yes, I assumed that Lemieux refers to the most notable Lemieux in hockey history, and given this is a hockey site, it didn't occur to me that the OP may have chosen that name because of a UBC professor - you got me there. I'm going to give you a plus one for that one.

Of course Mario was great, but he did have a little help dragging the Penguins out of last place - a few of the guys who played for the 1991 Penguins (their first Stanley Cup) - Ron Francis, Bryan Trottier, Joe Mullen, Mark Recchi, Kevin Stevens, Jaromir Jagr, Barry Pederson, Larry Murphy, Paul Coffey, Tom Barrasso... Pretty much a championship team with or without Lemieux.

One player =/= a championship team! but Lemieux was a pretty great foundation to work with. If the pens never drafted Lemieux would they still have a team? I think the answer is no but that is just my opinion.

As for your Original post I actually agree with everything you said except that one line about Mario.

Hamhuis'Beard

Name one player who's one a cup entirely by themselvs... And if it weren't for Lemieux the Penguins would have moves out of Pittsburgh...

General manager's dont have a crystal ball to see how players turn out, they make calculated risks and gamble's that try to maximizie performance, while minimizing potential long term detriment to the team.

I think you should take a look around the league, and say Gillis is doing a bad job compared to other GM's

yes he has made some questionable signingings but it is easy to say that once the dust settles, how about the sedin's burrows, hansen, salo contracts and tell me he is doing a bad job!

Overrated? No.

MG has donea terrific job of creating a culture and climate that players want to play in and that increases the chances of the Nucks being in the top performers of the league for many years to come.

He sin't likely to make a block-buster move becasue 1) it is extremely difficult to do with so many buyers and so few sellers right now and 2) he feels the current group is pretty close to where he wants the team to be.

My concern with where he has the Nucks is that the team is s near the cap with its current roster and has so little room to move without giving up significant assets. That we are spending to the cap limit (almost) and still have some "holes" in the depth/balance of the team is a concern to me.

To be facing Nashville with $42.M in aquisition room and Detroit with $13m heading to the deadline is scary. These teams are able to pick up some serious talent without having to let go of much if any of their current roster. How will the Nucks stack up if these teams add significant talent to their D or top 6?!

Archived