The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael Gillis is grossly overrated

Lemieux

This guy is grossly overrated.

Gillis is really sacrifing the future of the team for immediate gains. It's really sad to see.

OMG MG hasn't won any Stanley Cups yet, he's overrated, a bad GM for sure.

You could do much better, just sign Stamkos Crosby Ovechkin to 3M each = Win.

While I do agree about some points (bad contracts), I think Gillis has highhandedly changed the culture of this team. It's not an easy feat. The hockey business is a linear culture, he went outside the box and looked for alternative solutions. He's given this team an identity, and made it an attractive place for free agents.

Why is it important that he makes this place a destination for free agents? In part, cause this teams current drafting strategy is not good. Only 1 player (Hodgy) is currently playing on this team under Gillis's regime. Yet they have multiple players from other teams (Hammer, Lappy, Higgins etc) brought into the fold. While it can effective bringing in free agents/non draftees etc, it can also be costly (giving up draft picks). Drafted players are more likely to stay within the same org., and more likely to take discounts (no Ehrhoffs).

I love the way Nashville drafts and brings players into their organization. This team does NOT spend to the cap - 90% of their roster are draftees, yet they currently have an almost identical record/PP etc as the Canucks right now.

Bad contracts. While every GM has made questionable decisions, the Ballard one will live in infamy. Forget the 1st round pick given up, this team is ready 'now' 'last yr' to win the cup. Edler currently does not have a d-partner who can eat equal mins, and Ballard/Rome are not trusted to eat more than 16 mins TOI. Yet, Canucks have an exorbitant amount of $$ tied up in the highest paid 5th defensemen in the league. In the cap era, each player's value has to somewhat 'equal' their cap hit. Ballards contract is crippling this team, if Gillis can't get rid of it, and injuries happen in the playoff, I'm more than concerned.

Other than those 2 concerns, Gillis is likely one of the best GM's in the league. Let's all thank our lucky stars we don't have Pierre Gauthier :)

people keep forgetting that lu's contract has outs for both lu and the team....plus if both parties agree on an out earlier, that could make the term shorter too.....if lu's wife talks lu onto going back to florida and florida agrees, he could be moved there...

too many people keep getting hung up on term...gillies is doing a great job, despite how so cdc'ers think...

people keep forgetting that lu's contract has outs for both lu and the team....plus if both parties agree on an out earlier, that could make the term shorter too.....if lu's wife talks lu onto going back to florida and florida agrees, he could be moved there...

too many people keep getting hung up on term...gillies is doing a great job, despite how so cdc'ers think...

wow wow wow wow

hold up

cdc'ers think?

Sundin's contract was so worth it. He developed Kesler and the twins into who they are today. Demitra was a bit of an overpayment.....Luongo's contract is a bit long.... His cap hit is still very great though. It's sad that we're losing Schneider because of it, but we'll be trading him for assets to use in the future. And Gillis didn't inherit Art Ross twins, 41 goal scoring second liner, defensively amazing offensively great Nashville cast off, a top 2 and still young defenceman, or a young centre with huge potential. He drafted, or developed, or signed these players that are the core. So shut your face about Burke/Nonis building this team. They laid the foundation, but Gillis built the powerhouse.

Gillis inherited the twins.

Gillis inherited Kesler.

To say that Gillis developed the twins and Kes is a stretch.

Sundin was worth it? That is a laugh.

Now Sundin developed the twins and Kes,not Gillis.Maybe both did it together?

Sundin played in 41 Canucks regular season games.

I doubt Gillis or Sundin developed the twins at 28 years of age in 41 games.

The only goalie with a longer NHL contract is Di Pietro and we all know how that is going.

Twelve years is eternity in the NHL,especially a Canadian market.

http://www.therichest.org/sports/forbes-highest-paid-hockey-players/

Hamhuis was a great pick up and so was Ehrhoff.

Gillis has been innovative and refreshing as a GM.

My respect for Gillis is in the fact he is unconventional and has blazed a path to assist both his players and his owners.

He has made plenty of mistakes and his ego is large.Let's not ordain him as a god when he clearly is human with large tendancies to screw up royally like the rest of us mere mortal peons.

Ballard was acquired at a time when we where lacking D. And it was not clear Hamhuis was going to sign here..... MG. has created a atmosphere where players are willing to sign here for less than there market value.(twins, hammer,Kesler, Lou. Burrows, kb)... So quick people forget that we had a very inexperienced minor league stud at the time of Lu's extn and he hadnt developed into what he is now.

3251384_ca50d4534a9177548fef17bb9e2d8499.jpg

But seriously, stop trying to defend your points Lemieux.

I browsed and saw pretty much every point to be made already made against your argument.

So by your estimation, Burke and Nonis did such an amazing job preparing our team, that 5 years later, despite an incompetent GM and I'm assuming what you think is a bad coach, we are top of the standings (nearly this year) second year running. That has nothing to do with our current management?

You can point to a few things you may disagree with him on, but the pros obviously have outweighed the cons. And even his bad moves, are logical, and not as bad as hindsight can make them seem. Ask some other teams how they feel they are right now... I'm sure Montreal, Calgary, Florida (up until this year), Carolina, Columbus and countless others are feeling. They are in a bad place. The Canucks are not.

Even the argument that are prospects pool is low isn't fully valid. We haven't been a bottom feeder for some time, so all the high ones disappear. We didn't have good drafting before he came here, not we have a better pool. Hodgson, Tanev, Schroeder, Jensen, Connauton, Sauve, and Rodin isn't that bad.

Yep... MG sure has failed as GM of the Canucks. He only built the team that went to the finals last year and is second in the west this year.... yep, i call that failure. :picard:

When you look back fine, some of his signings wern't good. But I feel real confident in his management.

I don't know why you are being so hard on him.

How could anyone think Luongo's contract is bad? Top 5 goalie in the league yet his salary isn't even in the top 5 of goalie cap hits and not even in the top 60 of players cap hits. It's 12 years long so we could get that kind of bargain. Other teams have done that with their superstars as well

it's not bad, but it could be halfway thru

Gillis only covinced

Daniel Sedin

Henrik Sedin

Alex Burrows

Ryan Kesler

Dan Hamhuis

Kevin Bieksa

to sign before or as UFA for LESS than market value to remain apart of a winning organization who happens to be known league wide as world class. The reason we're able to keep the entire core of this team at less than market value is in large part to how Mike Gillis does business.

Go find me a GM who hasnt made a signing, draft pick, or trade that hasnt worked out as good as they thought it would... oh wait, such a person doesnt exist.

The OP is clearly without a flippin clue.

Brian Burke was in Sweden, ready to pounce on the Sedins when MG flew out there to make sure they stayed here. That could've been the deal breaker for the Canucks (where would we be without them??). I'd consider that pretty significant.

.......I celebrate the securing of the Sedins.

"We are not actively shopping our two highest-scoring players," Gillis told reporters near Parliament Hill, where no one ever lies.

If Gillis, who was to meet with player agent J.P. Barry here Thursday night to discuss the Sedins, signs the twins to long-term extensions, it will be nearly as surprising as trading them. Two months ago, at his first press conference in charge of the Canucks, Gillis offered only a tepid endorsement of Daniel and Henrik and said: "I don't think the group of forwards right now are ready to compete. I don't know if they [the Sedins] are players the team will be built around moving forward. That evaluation process will go on."

Canucks general manager Mike Gillis and assistant Laurence Gilman flew to Sweden earlier this week to meet with the brothers and give them LAST-DITCH offers.

"Daniel and Henrik Sedin are this club's offensive leaders and players we want to build around," Gillis said in a statement.

"Their level of performance in every area of the game is exceptional — both Daniel and Henrik are committed to winning and we want them to succeed as Vancouver Canucks."

"We really like it in Vancouver, and that's where we wanted to stay," Henrik Sedin said Wednesday on a conference call.

"Coming down to the last few days, we've been in Stockholm with our agents and our families and we walked through our possible options."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Draft/2008/06/20/5935176-sun.html

Two league sources told Sun Media yesterday that the Canucks have shopped twins Henrik and Daniel Sedin around the league ahead of tonight's draft at Scotiabank Place.

The sources say Gillis has decided the Canucks simply aren't good enough and wants to make a big deal to change the culture in the dressing room.

are you high? Luongo is an amazing goalie, and has many good years to come, he is only payed 5 million which is not that bad for a gold medalist. Sundin, yes he was overpaid, but he did ok in the playoffs and showed good leadership. Booth, he is a great player who is doing better now once he settled in with the team. Pavol Demitra....... how dare you. And yes, ballard is overpaid for a 3rd defenseman, but he is starting to do better

Well said......

Archived