The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael Gillis is grossly overrated

Lemieux

This guy is grossly overrated.

He has come up with bad contracts after bad contracts.

Overpaying Ballard, Booth, Sundin (thank goodness he did not take the 2-year $20mil contract), Demitra (RIP), and Luongo. These are good players, but definitely not at the salary that they are making. Now they are really stuck with Luongo, an older goalie with more and more mileage. This guy was overused in Florida, and you just don't see him playing at the same level 2 or 3 years down the road. This situation has caused the whole Schneider thing. Schneider looks like a young solid number one that could carry the Canucks into the next decade. He has solid moves, unlike the Sieve Cloutier. He's a calming presence. Because of the no-trade clause to Luongo, Schneider has to be moved.

People defend Gillis and say that he had got the Canucks into the finals. The main pieces, i.e. Kesler, Sedins, Edler, Bieksa, Salo, Burrows were all pieces from the past regimes. The only guy that Gillis could truly claim to be a valuable asset was ehrhoff.

Gillis is really sacrifing the future of the team for immediate gains. It's really sad to see.

who are you to say anything at all? wow! my gut hurts laughing so hard at this post! you are not even smart enough to know who he signed and who was signed elsewhere!

This post is beyond pathetic, it's really sad to see!

You may want to get your facts straight.

Ballard and Booth weren't signed by Gillis.

Sundin's contract was so worth it. He developed Kesler and the twins into who they are today.

Demitra was a bit of an overpayment, but he was a free agent.

Luongo's contract is a bit long, but when he signed it he was a top 3 goalie in the league. His cap hit is still very great though. It's sad that we're losing Schneider because of it, but we'll be trading him for assets to use in the future.

And Gillis didn't inherit Art Ross twins, 41 goal scoring second liner, defensively amazing offensively great Nashville cast off, a top 2 and still young defenceman, or a young centre with huge potential.

He drafted, or developed, or signed these players that are the core. So shut your face about Burke/Nonis building this team. They laid the foundation, but Gillis built the powerhouse.

To be fair, its not like Gillis doesn't know how much their salary and cap hit is prior to acquiring them.

you got to be kidding me... Gillis is really sacrifing the future of the team for immediate gains? when he traded for booth he traded two 30+ player for a young power forward... so that's ruining our future? When everyone said to trade HOdgson, he didn't and look where is Hodgson now? Didn't he also drafted Connauton, Sauve and signed Tanve? Aren't they the top three D prospect in our system? Why don't you look at all the amazing contract that is actually done by Gillis. Both Sedins for only 6.1m, Kesler for 5m. How are these contracts considered bad? Plus is MIke Gillis, time to get your facts straight.

Anyone who says Sundin was a bust is an idiot.

Not only was he one of our best forwards in the playoffs, but it was pretty much about a month or two after he got here that Kesler broke out in a big way. Not to mention pretty much everyone else on the team credits Sundin with teaching them so much.

Also, we had the cap room and gave up nothing for him. Seriously, is the OP retarded or something? Getting Sundin is probably one of the best things Gillis has done.

you got to be kidding me... Gillis is really sacrifing the future of the team for immediate gains? when he traded for booth he traded two 30+ player for a young power forward... so that's ruining our future?

lmao sammys like 35 and has a cup ring he was the most expendable guy on our roster , hes a great player but gillis made a good move

how anyone could look at that trade as a bad one i dont know

This guy is grossly overrated.

He has come up with bad contracts after bad contracts.

Overpaying Ballard, Booth, Sundin (thank goodness he did not take the 2-year $20mil contract), Demitra (RIP), and Luongo.  These are good players, but definitely not at the salary that they are making.  Now they are really stuck with Luongo, an older goalie with more and more mileage.  This guy was overused in Florida, and you just don't see him playing at the same level 2 or 3 years down the road.  This situation has caused the whole Schneider thing.  Schneider looks like a young solid number one that could carry the Canucks into the next decade.  He has solid moves, unlike the Sieve Cloutier.  He's a calming presence.  Because of the no-trade clause to Luongo, Schneider has to be moved.

People defend Gillis and say that he had got the Canucks into the finals.  The main pieces, i.e. Kesler, Sedins, Edler, Bieksa, Salo, Burrows were all pieces from the past regimes.  The only guy that Gillis could truly claim to be a valuable asset was ehrhoff.

Gillis is really sacrifing the future of the team for immediate gains.  It's really sad to see.

First off, nothing says he HAS to keep Luongo. You don't think Luongo would waive his NTC to go to an eastern contender? He'd still have a chance to win and he'd be a lot closer to his family during the season.Secondly, I'll be the first to agree that Gillis has made some questionable moves. The Ballard trade was one of the worst deals in club history, and that's saying something for this team. Now, he did overpay on a few free agent signings like Sundin and Demitra, but 95% of the time, when you dip into free agency, you have to overpay to beat other offers. Just about every GM in the league had overpaid to land the services of a UFA at one point or another.However, let's not throw the baby out with bathwater, here. The trade that brought Ehrhoff here from San Jose was a great trade, and was due exclusively to MG's patience. While the Malhotra signing was viewed as an overpayment at the time, until Manny was hurt last year it was be touted as one of the best UFA signings of that summer.I criticize Lou as much as anyone, but getting him for a 5.3 million dollar cap hit given what he could have earned on the open market was a great signing. As was getting the Sedins for 6.1 per each, and Kesler for 4.9.And while the jury may still be out on the Booth deal, you can't possibky say it was a bad move. Gillis surrendered two aging players who are both UFA at the end of the season and who are both coming off major injuries for a younger player who is signed for a few years and a depth centremen with plenty of experience who could still major a mjor factor for Vancouver moving forward.MG has his warts...everyone does. But as long as he keeps this team pointed at the Stanley Cup, he has my vote. He's certainly better that any of the jokers and clowns we've had to this point, save maybe Pat Quinn. Then again, Quinn didn't have to operate with the restrictions of the salary cap.

Mitchell averaged 72 games in the 3 years before the concussion year, so I don't see how he wasn't reliable. That's a pretty good number for a defensive d who plays a physical game. One concussion and you treat him like sh*t? That's not a good move. The Canucks made an average of $2-3mil cash per playoff home game. Sources say that they made 40-50mil in playoff receipts alone last year. If they were concerned about the cap, they would've been able to bury his contract in the AHL. It would've been a good insurance policy.

my nine year old has a better idea of how the cap works than you! What do box office records have to do with cap space! And please explain how a gm can bury a contract in the AHL I'm sure all the GMs out there would love to know your secret! And how is offering a free agent with a head injury that he may or may not recover from 1.5 mill ,"treating him like sh*t ", In today's cap era? All it means is that means is that the other team had more cap space to take the risk of signing him!

Archived