The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael Gillis is grossly overrated

Lemieux

This guy is grossly overrated.

He has come up with bad contracts after bad contracts.

Overpaying Ballard, Booth, Sundin (thank goodness he did not take the 2-year $20mil contract), Demitra (RIP), and Luongo. These are good players, but definitely not at the salary that they are making. Now they are really stuck with Luongo, an older goalie with more and more mileage. This guy was overused in Florida, and you just don't see him playing at the same level 2 or 3 years down the road. This situation has caused the whole Schneider thing. Schneider looks like a young solid number one that could carry the Canucks into the next decade. He has solid moves, unlike the Sieve Cloutier. He's a calming presence. Because of the no-trade clause to Luongo, Schneider has to be moved.

People defend Gillis and say that he had got the Canucks into the finals. The main pieces, i.e. Kesler, Sedins, Edler, Bieksa, Salo, Burrows were all pieces from the past regimes. The only guy that Gillis could truly claim to be a valuable asset was ehrhoff.

Gillis is really sacrifing the future of the team for immediate gains. It's really sad to see.

Hamhuis, Malhotra, Higgins, Lapierre, WEISE

If you try and make every contract a steal, you will end up with nobody on the roster. Much like the way this organization was run before MG got here. Give to get is the way. He has convinced top end talent to sign here for less than market value and instilled a environment of winning & accountability. I would much rather have Booth over Sturm & Samuelsson. And yes, Ballard over Mitchell. Willie was given a contract, but it is not MG's fault that LA targeted him and offered him a larger contract. A couple of million dollars is hard to turn down.

So what is the complaint? You don't like lou's contract? Get in line. There are many on here who do not. Yet few remember that both the team and the player have outs in said contract if things are not 'working out'.

Fact of the matter is, MG has done more for this team moving forward than Nonis or Burke has ( not saying that they did nothing, but not as much).

And if not Mike Gillis, I would like to hear who your replacement idea is.

Hi.

I'm a CDC member but I should be the GM cause I have the ability to go to the future and criticize the decisions that turned out bad but at the present time, it was a great decision. My ability to use hindsight is uncanny. Now I will throw out a bunch of stupid ideas and then in the future I will go back and ignore all the stupid ones I threw out and then only take credit for any that pan out and say "I told you so"! I will use my amazing hindsight ability to know who should and should not be drafted and which drafts will pan out. I will make zero mistakes and I will be absolutely perfect or god forbid, some kid who has never played a hockey game will criticize me on an internet forum.

Also, I will start making up false information about contracts that I have signed without knowing the full extent of the outs that I have provided myself and the team. I will give one of the top five goalies year after year a cap hit that ranks 8th amongst NHL goalies but then proceed to whine about the extent even though there is a buy out option.

After that I will I will take this team that made it to the Stanely Cup finals and is in contention again and disassemble it to add players that won me the Stanely Cup finals in NHL 12 for the Xbox.

I believe that everyone on the 1st page (didn't bother reading more) has some good points and some bad points.

Gillis:

Pros:

- filled up remaining roster spots with quality players (NO Green, Carney, Goren, Santala, etc.)

- keeps the core together while adding ("stars") on for the ride , takes a risk (Sundin, Booth, Demitra)

- signs quality UFA's and makes good trade deadline moves (Higgins, Lapierre, Hamhuis)

- year after year , he keeps our team a contender

- brings in players that can help improve a players game (Sundin, Ehrhoff)

- trys to convince players to stay for cheap (Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Hamhuis, Salo)

- ^ sometimes isn't pushy enough, or isn't willing to add in clauses (Bieksa)

- hires quality staff (coaches, personnel , Gilman)

- improves our prospect pool (Hodgson, Rodin, Schroeder, Sauve, etc)

Cons:

- overpays for core players (Luongo, Bieksa, Demitra)

- trades for overpaid players that will help NOW, but possibly hurt us in the future (Booth, Ballard)

- slow to address needs (top 6 forward, finally Booth came along; size, not much other than Alberts, Bitz, and Bieksa)

- not very involved with the media (makes us all guess, and sometimes make stupid proposals)

- is sometimes too low key (Boston comments towards us, refs going against us, etc.)

- is slowly ruining our team for the future, unless he has a plan (long-term contracts, big money deals, too many prospects to choose from)

- seems afraid of admitting he is wrong

I feel that this list, is what Gillis is.

- Don't know how you consider Lou and Bieksa an over payment? - sure, he trades for some over paid players...but that's because he can pick some of them up for less than their real value. He also has many core players signing for less giving him the luxury to do so... - every team has issues picking up certain components for their team... it's supply vs demand. We had an issue regarding a top 6 last year...he addressed it this year. But, we don't know what other issues he dealt with prior to Booth. There are too many factors involved to say that it is MG's fault... maybe the other team wants too much? maybe the other team doesn't want to make Van better? multiple teams offering for the same player... etc. btw, the Booth deal was a steal and I don't mind if MG decides to show a little patience if he can do another trade like that.- he is not MG of the people of BC or the fans of the Nucks. His only concern is the team and organization and if he only wants to focus on them and make them his only priority, that's his decision. If he doesn't want to let his opponents know what's happening, by ignoring the media, his choice, but this doesn't make him a bad GM. - How is he slowly ruining our future? no basis for this.- seems afraid to admit when he's wrong? Sturm comes to mind, he was wrong in acquiring him and let him go immediately.... should he have done something after Sturms first game?Your list for pros I can agree with, but your cons... your reaching.

Considering Gillis has acquired Hamhuis, Malhotra, Lapierre, Higgins, Weise, Tanev, Booth, Sameullson, Demitra, Sundin, Ballard, Ehrhoff and a few more he really has built this team from a borderline playoff team to a team that other team's are jealous of.

Also I'd like to compare this season's lineup to the 2007-2008 team which was the last Vancouver team to miss the playoffs (it was also Dave Nonis's final season as GM in Vancouver)

2011-2012: http://canucks.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

2007-2008: http://canucks.nhl.c...ertySelection=5

I know which team I'd prefer to have

Overpaying Ballard, Booth, Sundin (thank goodness he did not take the 2-year $20mil contract), Demitra (RIP), and Luongo. These are good players, but definitely not at the salary that they are making. Now they are really stuck with Luongo, an older goalie with more and more mileage. This guy was overused in Florida, and you just don't see him playing at the same level 2 or 3 years down the road. This situation has caused the whole Schneider thing. Schneider looks like a young solid number one that could carry the Canucks into the next decade. He has solid moves, unlike the Sieve Cloutier. He's a calming presence. Because of the no-trade clause to Luongo, Schneider has to be moved.

People defend Gillis and say that he had got the Canucks into the finals. The main pieces, i.e. Kesler, Sedins, Edler, Bieksa, Salo, Burrows were all pieces from the past regimes. The only guy that Gillis could truly claim to be a valuable asset was ehrhoff.

Gillis is really sacrifing the future of the team for immediate gains. It's really sad to see.

You make an excellent case.....

... for the reinstatement of the minuses!!

Seriously, if the minus button was still here that green 14 would be more than offset by about 80 minuses right about now!

Where's the love for all the GREAT work he's done in resigning key players to (IMO) below market value contracts and extensions??? Specifically I'm referring to the Sedins, Burrows, Bieksa, Salo, Hansen, Kesler, AND Luongo! Look, for the cap hit Luongo is a good deal regardless of what you think. And before you think he's only got a few good years left well that's pure speculation on your part. Look at the level Brodeur has maintained into his 40's? Luongo could do the same... we don't know. And yes, if we could move him then Schneider would be cheaper... at least for now. If Schneider continues to play like this then it's not long before he will demand as high (or likely higher) a contract as Luongo is getting... ever think of that???

Gillis is pretty much single-handedly responsible for the creation of this great team culture and made this team a place good players want to come and stay! Yes, there's been the odd player that didn't pan out, but is that MG's fault? Not very many people had a problem with Ballard's contract until he came and failed to produce as he had in Florida. You can't even regret that 1 year for Sundin as it is well documented that he had a huge influence on the Sedins and helping them emerge as players and leaders on this team (especially Henrik). And Booth is WAY to early to draw any conclusions on at this point but he has been playing much better of late.

You're WAY off base here man.

I concede that Hamhuis is a good signing, but he did it while offering a ridiculous $1.5M contract offer to Willie Mitchell, the horse. He unfortunately suffered a concussion while playing like a warrior, and they treated him like sh*t. Could've at least helped contain some of the bad Bruins in the playoffs. Now, that role belongs to Andrew Alberts, which is scary to say the least.

At the point of negotiating contracts with Willie Mitchell it was uncertain if he'd be over the concussion at all or what his actual health was, Overall a one year deal definitely made sense to me.

I believe he signed his contract with Tampa halfway in August well after the free-agent frenzy (not 100% sure on that though)

I'd give him an 8.5 so far in his tenure. Id give Howson a 2 for example. But im willing to shell out a 9 if he impresses me with the Shnieder trade.

Pluses. Team culture.Rre-upped the Sedins and Kesler for discounts. White for Ehrhoff lol .. Got Humhuis. Picked Hodgson instead of Beach thank the gods.

Cons. Got Ballard for 2 first round picks basically. Sundin at 10 million for two years. Would have ruined our team most likely. Unless he knew he would only play the one year and that was for publicity or something. Strum? wtf

What people don't realize is that we had the 10 million in cap space when we signed the Sedins. We could actually afford Sundin. He was the best player available, and we had cap space. Despite not producing a ton up front, the Sedins, Burrows, and Kesler all scored significantly more after he arrived.

Guest The Brown Burrows

- Don't know how you consider Lou and Bieksa an over payment? - sure, he trades for some over paid players...but that's because he can pick some of them up for less than their real value. He also has many core players signing for less giving him the luxury to do so... - every team has issues picking up certain components for their team... it's supply vs demand. We had an issue regarding a top 6 last year...he addressed it this year. But, we don't know what other issues he dealt with prior to Booth. There are too many factors involved to say that it is MG's fault... maybe the other team wants too much? maybe the other team doesn't want to make Van better? multiple teams offering for the same player... etc. btw, the Booth deal was a steal and I don't mind if MG decides to show a little patience if he can do another trade like that.- he is not MG of the people of BC or the fans of the Nucks. His only concern is the team and organization and if he only wants to focus on them and make them his only priority, that's his decision. If he doesn't want to let his opponents know what's happening, by ignoring the media, his choice, but this doesn't make him a bad GM. - How is he slowly ruining our future? no basis for this.- seems afraid to admit when he's wrong? Sturm comes to mind, he was wrong in acquiring him and let him go immediately.... should he have done something after Sturms first game?Your list for pros I can agree with, but your cons... your reaching.

When I made my list I tried to include what most say about everything.

The Luongo contract is just too long, cap hit is fine.

I decided to put Bieksa on the list because he comes with a big IF. His consistency is why I listed him. His market value that season was very high but he really isn't worth nearly 5 million for a full season (taking in consideration other d-men that have good/bad contracts).

As for media, I decided to put that down for CDC... (if he was like Burke maybe this place would calm down, I really don't care if he talks or not, like you).

I believe he is slowly ruined the future because after a while every great team goes into a depression (unless we are the Red Wings). It doesn't mean we will become the next Oilers or the Flames but we could miss the playoffs after our core is past their prime (if Gillis decides to trade our core when they are older, Sedins, Kesler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Burrows we might be okay. Hodgson is our only bright spot so far (Schneider will be traded... unlikely Luongo is going to be sent packing). We have a boat load of prospects but they all come with a big question mark like all prospects do (yes, even Tanev though I think he will be a regular next year). Basically we might be heading towards some 80-90 point seasons after 2015/2016. Nothing wrong with a few "rebuilding" years but it's very unlikely that we will stay amongst the elite like the Wings have (Colorado and Dallas are the perfect examples). Ignore their ownership issues. I think that this might make you think :picard: but I don't think our franchise (with our luck) can stay as one of the best for more than 5 if not 10 years (I believe the Wings have made the playoffs more than 20 times in a row, or they are really close to that feat). I used the Wings as they are MG's model team.

For the last point. Sturm is a good counterexample, but he doesn't seem to admit it. It was a mistake to sign Sturm (I don't think any other GM would have signed him that early, especially on July 1st for that type of money. Getting Booth is good and all but it still wasn't a part of Gillis' plan. He had to make a move because he looked like an idiot messing up our cap with a useless player. We basically traded Booth for Sturm straight up. Reinpecht was a throw-in as they took on Sturm.

As long as Gillis brings us a cup, we'll all be happy :towel: When next season starts however........... it'll be a bunch of :picard:

Oh wait so we have one of the best goalies in the league for 12 years(he will most likely not play those last few years) for an extremely good cap hit, mea while the cap continues to go up making the contract even more of a steal. Im not seeing the bad in this contract... Besides both parties have an outclause halfway through the contract of one or the other isn't happy. So please enlighten me on how this is a bad contract. May i remind you if the term was 5 years we would probably have a goalie with an 8+ M a year cap hit, resulting in having less money to sign other depth players that make this team so good.

People need to shut up and stop complaining about luongos contract.

Actually no one needs to "shut up" because you say so. I simply stated the contract is to long. MG has spoke out against these very contracts numerous times. On to you saying he likely will retire before the contract ends, well thats speculation on your part which kinda makes it a moot point, don't you think?

Finally there is no quarantee the cap will keep going up, infact owners want it to come down. Now I don't agree with the op, but I also don't agree with the contract MG gave Luongo. You sir should also make a proper arguement, rather then having your facts based on speculation and your own opinion.

I do think Gillis has done a good to great job, but some on here make him out to be the greatest g.m ever, while not recognizing some mistakes he has made, which all g.m's do.Some only look at the good deals and trades but not the bad ones while making their arguement, namely you. But to be fair the op is doing the exact same thing.

Cheers.

Gillis is overrated by alot of fans and the media for sure. I do think he was a huge improvement over Nonis though. Gillis has made some great signings/Trades:

- Samulesson: he was great the first two seasons as a Canuck and with a low cap hit

- Ehrhoff: Great signing, even smarter when he rejected his agents demands, Ehrhoff had no heart in the playoffs

- Malhotra: a great signing for cheap ( before the eye injury )

Lapierre: Another cheap effective player that jumped right into the line-up as if he had been there all along

Then more recently Higgens and Booth, who have both looked great. The good definately far outweigh the bad with Gillis' performance so far. I will be disappointed if he trades Schneider this season because I think they need him for depth in the playoffs. I'd prefer if he waited to package him with Raymond next season in a deal.

Gillis is overrated by alot of fans and the media for sure. I do think he was a huge improvement over Nonis though. Gillis has made some great signings/Trades:

- Samulesson: he was great the first two seasons as a Canuck and with a low cap hit

- Ehrhoff: Great signing, even smarter when he rejected his agents demands, Ehrhoff had no heart in the playoffs

- Malhotra: a great signing for cheap ( before the eye injury )

Lapierre: Another cheap effective player that jumped right into the line-up as if he had been there all along

Then more recently Higgens and Booth, who have both looked great. The good definately far outweigh the bad with Gillis' performance so far. I will be disappointed if he trades Schneider this season because I think they need him for depth in the playoffs. I'd prefer if he waited to package him with Raymond next season in a deal.

He never signed Hoff. He traded for him as San Jose had to dump cap. It was however a good trade that Gillis made.

Say what you want about the contracts but you can't really be upset with the cap hits they give. Sure Luongo's deal is long but he only counts 5mil against the cap. If Kesler, Burrows, or the Sedins hit the open market do you not think they'd get more then what MG gave them to stay in Vancouver. He did sit back and brilliantly wait for Hamhuis to come to him. Also sometimes the best moves you make are the ones you don't make. I remember a few years ago when everyone on these forums were screaming for MG to trade Bieksa and a high draft pick for Mike Fisher. Would you make that trade now? We also have young talent like CoHo, Lack, Schroeder, and Tanev either already playing for us or will be in the near future. He may not be the god that some claim him to be but he is one of the better GM's in the league.

Archived