The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is Hodgson on the 4th line?

JensenFan2011

So Mason Raymond has earned the right to play top 6 and Cody hasn't? Malhotra has eartned the right to play 3rd line center and Cody deserves 4th? Based on what? Cody has better stats and has shown himself to be far more effective than either of these 2 and is relegated to 10 minutes on the 4th line.

Whatever happened to AV playing the players that had earned their ice time regardless of past success or contract? Icing the best team every night?

AV reacted to Cody's winning of the rookie of the month awatd by immediately cutting his ice time and demoting him. Any chance Cody had of showing his stuff and taking a shot at rookie of the year has been stripped by AV. He's an a$$.

I also don't why people get up in arms over the lable of the '4th line'. Go look at Hogdson's icetime the last 5 games, other than the Calgary game, he's mostly had more than his season average. The fact is that most nights they're getting him out there for 13-14 minutes.

I agree that AV doesn't handle every young player properly, I thought they managed Grabner poorly, but Hodgson is being brought along just fine. Certainly people will bring up the handling of Kesler, Burrows and Hansen but those players came in with the idea of being able to play a 2 way game. I think Hodgson is that type of player and under AV I think he will flurish.

I don't know of any other NHL coach who would reward their Rookie of the Month with a demotion to the 4th line, and let's not kid ourselves, it is the 4th line. This acknowledgement by the NHL, as well as Cody's inclusion in the NHL All Star weekend is a feather in the organizations cap and a compliment to Cody. Then AV pulls a boneheaded stunt like this. I hope that Cody continues to put up points on the 4th line and shoves it in AV's face.

Chill out everyone. AV is doing three things here. # 1 he is show casing Mason Raymond for the trade deadline. # 2 he may be doing the same with Manny; however, I believe he is trying to get him going pre playoffs and # 3 he is rolling all 4 lines. The Sedins minutes are down this way going into the playoffs and it is a safe 4 lines because Hodson with Duco is doing awesome when they are out. So quit whining about the 4 th line it is about the team and Cody having to play with some roughnecks makes him better and the team better. Cody will be a true super star because he makes those around him better. I guarantee come playoffs the third line with him and Hansen and who knows will be a lock. Right now rolling four "balanced" lines is more important to our playof run than, whether or not Cody is on the 3 rd or 4 th lines. AV is a great coach and knows what he is doing.

If the Canucks keep a coach like AV who is basically pushing the future of the Canucks out the door, how could you blame COHO if he wanted leave I sure couldn't. He deserves more minutes and when you have a stuck up coach who is and has said he is compairing Codys minutes in a rookie year to Henrik, which was over 12 years ago in a complete differen't era you know your coach doesn't know how to coach when he is doing that. HORRIBLE COACHING. COHO=CLUTCH.

Are people still whining about this? He's doing good and it's in spite of the coach? Let me guess, if he goes on a slump then it will be the coaches fault? Yes let's forget about getting any other player going and focus on giving all the ice time to one player when we are winning regardless. Let's also change the name of the team to the Vancouver Codys.

I mean are you guys so ridiculous that you fail to see what the players on the team have been preaching this whole time and how it should be. That they are team first mentality. We know Cody is doing good so why not have him try to get other players going. It's called playing for the team. I'm positive with the Cody's attitude he would agree with what is happening and wouldn't be whining like you guys about playing on the "fourth line". It's the same thing you all complain about last year when the Sedins didn't get enough ice-time because AV wanted to try to get other players going when we were winning.

We are second in the conference and now is the time to try to get players going and teach a rookie some other aspects of the game so he doesn't become one-dimensional. Do you not think AV wants Cody how to grind it out in games as well as score? How to play against tough, grinding players and not just skilled players? That maybe this will help him in the play-offs when it comes down to more grinding then skill? It's also the time to experiment and try new line combinations. Is this so hard to understand? But noooooo....AV can't manage a rookie because he won't baby him and give him easy minutes. Do you think Cody cares about rookie point totals instead of learning the various aspects of the game for a long career to be a multi-dimensional player?

I'd say the coach knows what he's doing and you guys need to get off your hatred of the coach because wah wah...he won't play your rookie more instead of teaching him to be a great all-round forward.

Guest gumballthechewy

You could also ask why is Bitz playing with the Sedins? Because AV has mixed up the lines to get some slumping players going, e.g. Malhotra, Hansen and the Sedins. It's really that simple.

Archived