The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is Hodgson on the 4th line?

JensenFan2011

Are people still whining about this? He's doing good and it's in spite of the coach? Let me guess, if he goes on a slump then it will be the coaches fault? Yes let's forget about getting any other player going and focus on giving all the ice time to one player when we are winning regardless. Let's also change the name of the team to the Vancouver Codys. I mean are you guys so ridiculous that you fail to see what the players on the team have been preaching this whole time and how it should be. That they are team first mentality. We know Cody is doing good so why not have him try to get other players going. It's called playing for the team. I'm positive with the Cody's attitude he would agree with what is happening and wouldn't be whining like you guys about playing on the "fourth line". It's the same thing you all complain about last year when the Sedins didn't get enough ice-time because AV wanted to try to get other players going when we were winning. We are second in the conference and now is the time to try to get players going and teach a rookie some other aspects of the game so he doesn't become one-dimensional. Do you not think AV wants Cody how to grind it out in games as well as score? How to play against tough, grinding players and not just skilled players? That maybe this will help him in the play-offs when it comes down to more grinding then skill? It's also the time to experiment and try new line combinations. Is this so hard to understand? But noooooo....AV can't manage a rookie because he won't baby him and give him easy minutes. Do you think Cody cares about rookie point totals instead of learning the various aspects of the game for a long career to be a multi-dimensional player? I'd say the coach knows what he's doing and you guys need to get off your hatred of the coach because wah wah...he won't play your rookie more instead of teaching him to be a great all-round forward.

Are people still whining about this? He's doing good and it's in spite of the coach? Let me guess, if he goes on a slump then it will be the coaches fault? Yes let's forget about getting any other player going and focus on giving all the ice time to one player when we are winning regardless. Let's also change the name of the team to the Vancouver Codys.

I mean are you guys so ridiculous that you fail to see what the players on the team have been preaching this whole time and how it should be. That they are team first mentality. We know Cody is doing good so why not have him try to get other players going. It's called playing for the team. I'm positive with the Cody's attitude he would agree with what is happening and wouldn't be whining like you guys about playing on the "fourth line". It's the same thing you all complain about last year when the Sedins didn't get enough ice-time because AV wanted to try to get other players going when we were winning.

We are second in the conference and now is the time to try to get players going and teach a rookie some other aspects of the game so he doesn't become one-dimensional. Do you not think AV wants Cody how to grind it out in games as well as score? How to play against tough, grinding players and not just skilled players? That maybe this will help him in the play-offs when it comes down to more grinding then skill? It's also the time to experiment and try new line combinations. Is this so hard to understand? But noooooo....AV can't manage a rookie because he won't baby him and give him easy minutes. Do you think Cody cares about rookie point totals instead of learning the various aspects of the game for a long career to be a multi-dimensional player?

I'd say the coach knows what he's doing and you guys need to get off your hatred of the coach because wah wah...he won't play your rookie more instead of teaching him to be a great all-round forward.

Cody has done more with limited ice time. He is more of a natural goal scorer than Manny, Lappy. They should play him on the 3rd line. Coach V is strange. He is not sold on Hodgson yet. Considering it took the Twins and Kesler quite a few years to develop, I like the up side to Cody. He is only going to get better which is promising.

Are people still whining about this? He's doing good and it's in spite of the coach? Let me guess, if he goes on a slump then it will be the coaches fault? Yes let's forget about getting any other player going and focus on giving all the ice time to one player when we are winning regardless. Let's also change the name of the team to the Vancouver Codys.

I mean are you guys so ridiculous that you fail to see what the players on the team have been preaching this whole time and how it should be. That they are team first mentality. We know Cody is doing good so why not have him try to get other players going. It's called playing for the team. I'm positive with the Cody's attitude he would agree with what is happening and wouldn't be whining like you guys about playing on the "fourth line". It's the same thing you all complain about last year when the Sedins didn't get enough ice-time because AV wanted to try to get other players going when we were winning.

We are second in the conference and now is the time to try to get players going and teach a rookie some other aspects of the game so he doesn't become one-dimensional. Do you not think AV wants Cody how to grind it out in games as well as score? How to play against tough, grinding players and not just skilled players? That maybe this will help him in the play-offs when it comes down to more grinding then skill? It's also the time to experiment and try new line combinations. Is this so hard to understand? But noooooo....AV can't manage a rookie because he won't baby him and give him easy minutes. Do you think Cody cares about rookie point totals instead of learning the various aspects of the game for a long career to be a multi-dimensional player?

I'd say the coach knows what he's doing and you guys need to get off your hatred of the coach because wah wah...he won't play your rookie more instead of teaching him to be a great all-round forward.

10 minutes of ice time tonight for a guy who should be in contention for rookie of the year, if he gets better than useless goon minutes... I can understand bringing him along easily, and that Kes and Henrik are ahead of him, but putting the guy who is 4th in goals on the team (with the best shooting percentage), just 4 points behind Burrows (our top line winger) and 5th highest scoring forward on the team on the 4th line with 10 minutes of play isn't a logical way to help him develop.

The kid looks capable of being a #2 centre already. His point totals are very close to Burrows but he's playing 1/3 less (12 minutes vs 18 minutes per game...

• 2 months later...

If the Canucks keep a coach like AV who is basically pushing the future of the Canucks out the door, how could you blame COHO if he wanted leave I sure couldn't. He deserves more minutes and when you have a stuck up coach who is and has said he is compairing Codys minutes in a rookie year to Henrik, which was over 12 years ago in a complete differen't era you know your coach doesn't know how to coach when he is doing that. HORRIBLE COACHING. COHO=CLUTCH.

I'm almost wondering if this thread will now be locked, as it's kinda old to be bumped forward. Personally though, I think it's better to have the old comments bumped rather than a new thread altogether - makes for an interesting read, all the pro-Hodgson posts and questioning of Hodgon's ice time. Particularly given MG's recent comments to the effect Hodgson was actually being groomed to sell off - oh really?

I had forgotten about the time he'd spent on the 4th line, demoted when it wasn't exactly as if Henrik, Kesler - or anyone else for that matter - was going on a production run. And now with MG's recent comments we are to believe he was demoted to the 4th line as a way of pumping him for a trade?

This whole Hodgson thing smells.

Just glad to see how well he did in Buffalo once he had a chance to settle (the same chance to settle most Canuck fans were okay with when it came to Booth's post trade lack of production), trusted in all situations, even getting PK time. Good kid, lots of room for development. Shame it won't be on the Canucks.

• 10 months later...

lol you think, everything is wrong with him, everything he does is wrong, he is a useless coach. But this bump is for the ones who hate seeing Schroeder on the 4th line, it has been going on for a while with every prospect.

Every prospect that struggles at winning faceoffs you mean. That doesn't make it right however, I wouldn't mind seeing Schroeder tried on the wing instead of taking draws, although that would mean a stint in the AHL to get used to the new position. Schroeder needs time to perfect his game to be a top 6 player. He isn't there yet. AV is actually doing him a favour by not putting him in a position to fail (unlike other players who will remain unmentioned).

Archived