The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is Hodgson on the 4th line?

JensenFan2011

Beating a dead horse, I know... but honestly, how far will it go? This is getting totally ridiculous. Cody's entire career with the Canucks has been held back by this guy. It's really obvious that Cody is the only player who feels like showing up against bottom-feeder teams... but no, don't bother giving him ice-time. I'm pretty sure he's only had a small handful of shifts in OT throughout the season, and we've gone past regulation A LOT this season.

This is getting really old really fast. I have no idea how Gillis can stand by and watch this, especially while players that Hodgson -- very convincingly and consistently -- outplays get more ice time than him (cough raymond cough).

I'm getting tired of this business as usual approach that has taken over this team... it's like it's a bloody union -- as if seniority has ANYTHING to do with your ice-time. Totally brutal.

Never mind Sulzer never getting any games. He's arguably better than Rome, and he should not be riding the pine and rusting away. Keep him in game form FFS...

Again, sorry for the mulched horse, but I couldn't help it...

[/rant]

....afterthought: I forgot to mention the 4th line plugs that he's managing to make look good...

Yup, Malhotra on the 3rd instead. He's been playing MUCH better... totally deserves that ice-time.

I don't really agree in terms of overall playing time. He gets the bottom 6 matchups, I mean if you give him more time on the ice he has harder matchups, we're slowly developing his defensive play at the pro level. We know the kid can light the lamp, tha's why he's getting PP time. I'd sure like to see more of him with the Twins on PP and let Kesler shoot more on the other unit.

Having said all that he should get more OT ice time and should be a lock for the SO. Put the game on his stick, I do agree with.

The OP's reaction is a bit aggressive; its just been two games.

But your answer is also about as realistic as your teeth? Hodgson has not gotten too much time; he's had least amongst all top rookies. I do not have a problem with him playing less than a Hart & Sele winner, and he does not so there is no merit to your point. He was not being overplayed at 12 or 14 minutes a night. But after leading them in scoring in January, he has been demoted to the 4th line.

Thats not fair either?

Ah yes, why aren't you coach?

AV isn't trying to ruin Hodgson's career. If he was trying to ruin Hodgson's career, he'd do what they did to Brule in Columbus - playing him way too much, way too early. You seem to think that more playing time = better development, but the complete opposite can happen. That is why people with experience are running the hockey team, not knee-jerk fans.

Vigneault = 379 Career Wins + 36 Career Playoff Wins + 1 Career Coach of The Year Award + 1 Stanley Cup Final Appearance

CDC = 0 Career Wins + 0 Career Playoff Wins + 0 Awards + 0 SCF Appearances

BTW, if you want people to take your thread seriously, maybe you shouldn't start with some idiotic, overused catch-phrase that completely lacks any intelligence and long ago lost its creativity.

Well I remember around Christmas time when Hodgson was playing well still the media kept questioning AV to play Coho more, and AV's response was if anything his minutes need to be cut. And AV did it was like wtf is wrong with you, how do you demote someone less minutes because you are now compairing Henrik Sedins rookie year to Cohos rookie year it didn't make sense. Then Coho continues to rip it up and AV is forced to give Coho more minutes, later on allows him to play on the 2nd pp unit, Coho then later goes on to be the rookie of the month, but AV still thinks he's a 4th line player who deserves less minutes, especially when it's the player who scores the clutch goals to either win the game or allow you team a chance in overtime. Horrible Coaching.

Actually I thought Rome's been playing very well lately. I think we've overrated Booth. He'll skate in really fast, think he's been kept to the outside, circle the half wall and suicide pass the trailing forward every time. He'll pot in the odd goal but just hasn't jelled very well at all. Reminds me of Raymond. A little grittier though.

Why on earth would you rush the development of a player when your winning and have a good team? Just so the fans can see their flavour of the month play? There is no need for the coach to throw out a developing player to the wolves and play him against top pairings during his rookie year when there is a great team in front of him.

It's like a no win situation coaching in Vancouver. He plays him a lot and he loses confidence cause he gets shutdown by top defensive pairings and fans yell that AV is a horrible coach and ruined Cody's confidence. Play him to little to let him develop and fans yell that coach AV has something against him and is ruining his confidence.

He is flourishing with the way the coach is playing him and fans say its in spite of the coach. He gets in a slump and it's the coaches fault.

I think he is developing nicely right now so why can't you guys just let the kid develop at a slow pace, especially when we are second in the West.

I mean Malhotra getting upgraded over Cody is the biggest joke. If Manny didnt have a contract he wouldnt be in the NHL, hes honestly not very good in comparison to the guys on the ice. He just doesnt look good out their, so Cody being demoted to the 4th line is a joke, luckily it payed off for AV and Hodgson's goal helped us get back into things. and wow is cody ever clutch.

Please go watch some more hockey before you make stupid threads like this about individual player's ice time and complain just because you like the player. Just because you like him, doesn't mean he should play more. There are reasons for every move, and AV is making the right ones - he's winning.

So STFU.

He's earning his stripes.......he's got a lot of players ahead of him who have proven a lot more and paid their dues. Why do so many people want this kid to have everything handed to him on a silver platter? I'm sure Cody understands his role on this team........you should too.

Cody's defense has been off for a few handful of games recently.

With Cody, it's about maximizing his offensive prowess while minimizing his defensive liability (if any exists). When he is playing well defensively, we can give him 13 minutes of 3rd line minutes. If not, like right now, give him the 4th line minutes against opposing 4th liners, who Cody can take advantage of offensively.

Cody's still scoring, but his limited ice time limits possibility of his defensive gaffs when he's not playing well in his own zone.

Archived