269 replies to this topic

#61 jigsaw99

jigsaw99

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:31 AM

Cody was doing when he had Hansen and Raymond on his side to play with and when he get PP time.

#62 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,888 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:42 AM

As a rookie,Coho has tons of confidence and is going to be a Canuck for years to come.

Manny,on the other hand,needs to get it going to continue with the club.

#63 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:13 AM

AV knows best................I don't think Cody would be complaining and why shouldn't Manny get some time with Raymond and Hansen.

It might be AV showing Manny he has faith in him and rewarding him for his hard work. It might also be a tactic of using Manny's face off prowess with slightly more lively guys around him.

It might even be a wee bit of tough love for Cody. A player like Hodgson would have to work harder on that 4th line. AV reckons it will toughen him up AND give him a chance to learn some new "wrinkles" from Lapierre.

Anyway............it's all good. :rolleyes:
Kevin.jpg

#64 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:27 AM

POPULAR

It constantly amazes me on here how many people don't understand that a good/great coach is CONSTANTLY assessing his players every minute he is in their presence. So are his trusted assistants.

AV may have noticed something in Manny OR Coho that we are not privy to. Give the guy a break and some credit and for goodness sake stop bitching like a parent whose favoured child has been demoted by the school hockey coach.

Anyone would think AV went out of his way to ruin the team and the players judging by the constant whining on here.

I think AV is doing something great here. He is showing he has learned from last year.
Injuries aside, we didn't have the personnel or the proof in practice to enable us to change things around and by doing so put the opposition off their game ...............when it looked like they had figured us out.

It seems to me that he has he rightly waited until we are where we want to be and now he is putting in place these options which can be used when things need changed up. That is smart.

Smarter still he is doing it not only to the benefit of our established stars but he is giving these fringe players a real gee up and telling them "this is what I might ask you to do and look, you are very capable of doing it."

All this while staying apace with the other top teams who are knocking their pans out to stick with us.

AV and MG have as Baldric would say "a cunning plan" :)

Edited by Bodee, 10 February 2012 - 05:37 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#65 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,239 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:31 AM

He's struggled over these last couple of games and Malhotra has really played well for us. Simple case of playing the better player more.

When Higgins returns I'd like to see this:

Sedin - Sedin - Bitz
Higgins - Kesler - Booth
Hansen - Lapierre - Burrows
Malhotra - Hodgson - Raymond

That's a great top line, a successful 2nd line that hasn't played poorly when together yet, a very gritty, aggravating 3rd line and a skillful 4th line.

Suddenly we have infinite options with Bitz proving he has some serious offensive skill.
Posted Image

#66 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

We don't have a fourth line
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#67 ramone1984

ramone1984

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:39 AM

He's struggled over these last couple of games and Malhotra has really played well for us. Simple case of playing the better player more. When Higgins returns I'd like to see this: Sedin - Sedin - Bitz Higgins - Kesler - Booth Hansen - Lapierre - Burrows Malhotra - Hodgson - Raymond That's a great top line, a successful 2nd line that hasn't played poorly when together yet, a very gritty, aggravating 3rd line and a skillful 4th line. Suddenly we have infinite options with Bitz proving he has some serious offensive skill.

Wow, you're absolutely right. Talk about a luxery having Manny, Hodgson and Raymond on the 4th line. With the exception of Manny and Laperre, our entire forward line up is effectively of 2nd line quality or better!

That being said, I'm kinda glad Cody got his minutes cut a bit. I noticed he was making quite a few blind passes and low percentage plays lately. Sometimes they were working out, but unless your line make has Sedin on the back of his jersey, it's probably not a good idea to be playing that way. Eventually he'll get caught looking silly.

Anyways, Cody is very obviously a talented guy and I am pumped to watch him develop fully into the best player he can be under AV's excellent tutalege.

Cheers,

Ramone
Thanks for the sig Tv9924!
Posted Image

#68 ramone1984

ramone1984

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:39 AM

He's struggled over these last couple of games and Malhotra has really played well for us. Simple case of playing the better player more. When Higgins returns I'd like to see this: Sedin - Sedin - Bitz Higgins - Kesler - Booth Hansen - Lapierre - Burrows Malhotra - Hodgson - Raymond That's a great top line, a successful 2nd line that hasn't played poorly when together yet, a very gritty, aggravating 3rd line and a skillful 4th line. Suddenly we have infinite options with Bitz proving he has some serious offensive skill.

Wow, you're absolutely right. Talk about a luxery having Manny, Hodgson and Raymond on the 4th line. With the exception of Manny and Laperre, our entire forward line up is effectively of 2nd line quality or better!

That being said, I'm kinda glad Cody got his minutes cut a bit. I noticed he was making quite a few blind passes and low percentage plays lately. Sometimes they were working out, but unless your line make has Sedin on the back of his jersey, it's probably not a good idea to be playing that way. Eventually he'll get caught looking silly.

Anyways, Cody is very obviously a talented guy and I am pumped to watch him develop fully into the best player he can be under AV's excellent tutalege.

Cheers,

Ramone
Thanks for the sig Tv9924!
Posted Image

#69 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,674 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:47 AM

i like to think of it more like Lappy and duco on the 3rd.

#70 Captain Hindsight

Captain Hindsight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:56 AM

I feel Cody has gone on a bit of a cold streak since being named rookie of the month.

In the month of February he has played four games averaging 13:30 mins. Hes earned 0 points. His faceoffs have been 33.5%.

In January first four games he had 4 points, averaging 13:10, and his faceoffs were 47.25%

#71 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:01 AM

My god a bunch of you are just so whinny like a stage mom. Play my kid more play my kid more. I don't care how the team does! I just want the coach to play my kid more. It's not fair! Forget that we are one point behind first in the NHL, the coach is awful and has no idea what he's doing because my kid doesn't play enough! I don't care if we get other players going. I just want to see my kid play!

#72 Yeria

Yeria

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:05 AM

all i'm saying is he really isn't giving hodgson a chance he keeps playing him with people who can't score how the heck is he suppose to get goals when he is playing basically by himself

Wow, AV was crazy last night demoting BOTH SEDINS to 4th line and forced them to play with Bitz! Can you believe that?? Same thing with Hodgson! Playing with Lapierre and Duco??? Sure, both of the lines scored and now our offense is more evenly distributed but who cares!! My favourite player is being treated badly!!!
Posted Image
Thanks to Hockey_Crazy for the sig!

#73 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,893 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

Who give a sh!t we won 5-2 in the best 60 minutes we've played in a long time.

Cody's line got a goal, and Manny's line got a goal. AV's move got us 2 goals from the bottom 6 and that's all that matters. I don't care how many minutes Cody plays or what line he's on as long as the team keeps winning.

AV got the win and 2 goals from the bottom 6 so why y'all complaining? It clearly worked.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#74 erkayloomeh

erkayloomeh

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

I do not understand why Hodgson is on the fourth line tonight Malhotra has been crap he has done nothing and Hodgson is one of our best fowards every night so how the hell does Malhotra deserve the third line over Hodgson? AV is so confusing

because AV is preparing him to be sent down to the farm.
Really, now doesnt this show you how deep this team is
GOD BE PRAISED

#75 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

Because AV is a terrible coach. Next question?

#76 cc_devil

cc_devil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

Biggest question is what do you do to a team and fan favorite Malholtra. Who`s eye injury has proven more devestating for a forward that needs to be involved with a play compared to a defenceman with a similiar type of eye injury. His goal was a tip in along the ice while his pass retrival and pass making have been a line killer. Mostly likely why Lappierre production has dissappeared more than normal with Malholtra on his wing. Cody was slotted in on the fourth to give Lappierre a break and someone to play wing.

#77 Iamacanuck18

Iamacanuck18

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:03 AM

!3 mins of ice time AV rolled 4 lines. CDCs get toohung up on what the lineup page says.

#78 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,503 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

This question was actually answered by Valk before it was asked here - his opinion was that Henrik's injured ankle encouraged AV to spread out the time more equally and roll all four lines - and that using your top guys to death at this time of the year doesn't make sense. As noted, Cody's ice time wasn't really reduced. All this protesting over AV's decisions is slightly compulsive if you ask me - stop reading the Province already. Should we be protesting because Bitz stepped from the AHL to the top line? That's not fair to Burrows, blah, blah. Most people could figure out what AV is doing if they weren't so busy complaining and doubting. The lines were balanced out more - a good strategy and a timely experiment. A 5-2 win. Minnesota is the league's worst team of late - a pretty good time to try a few different things and not tax the Sedins unnecessarily. Good move AV - a solid victory and some more information about possible alternatives when the matchups aren't great for the forward lines.
Regarding Ballard - he was a last minute scratch - who knows why? Until you do, stop complaining - besides Albert is no slouch and has earned some starts...

#79 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

The bottom six forwards are shuffled around quite a bit lately...Cody is still making some glaring turnovers in our end.He's still learning...........patience.!!!

#80 GSS Corp.

GSS Corp.

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

He's just there to spark the 4th line!
Posted Image

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

#81 Sedinstwin

Sedinstwin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

CoHo might have been on the fourth line but he relatively got the same amount of time. Manny got a minute more of time because of the many PK's. And all four lines score so how the eff can anyone say AV is an idiot....I don't even remember the last time all four of our lines scored. AV IS A GENIUS!

#82 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

My concern in regards to Cody is that he must be ready and able to take over 2nd line center minutes by play off time.Injuries happen and while Manny is very valuable to this team he is not able to take up the second line role.

#83 darnucks

darnucks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

If you guys think you can make better coaching decisions than AV then you should go to MG and state your case. He might hire you.
CDC what a bunch of whiners best record in the NHL in the last ten games and we still complain about stuff.
Who cares if Hodgson get 5 mins the Sedins 8 mins and Lappy and Malhotra get 30.
As long as we keep winning who gives a flying fling. What are you guys? CoHo's relatives?

Edited by darnucks, 10 February 2012 - 02:46 PM.

#84 Ghostdivision

Ghostdivision

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

If you guys think you can make better coaching decisions than AV then you should go to MG and state your case. He might hire you.
CDC what a bunch of whiners best record in the NHL in the last ten games and we still complain about stuff.
Who cares if Hodgson get 5 mins the Sedins 8 mins and Lappy and Malhotra get 30.
As long as we keep winning who gives a flying fling. What are you guys? CoHo's relatives?

Do some of you understand the point of a message board?

Its to encourage discussion and opinions. For some of you with the how dare you question av attitude, thats what a message board is to encourage discussion and personal opinions, its not to say were right or av is wrong, but we can disagree with him and share our opinion. I certainly dont believe for a second i am a better coach then av, but i do question and have different opinions then him at times, alot of times i like what he does. Av is not god either and can make mistakes. The minute someone questions something he does a few of you just snap and say how dare you question av you have not taken a team to the stanely cup.

With that closed minded attitude i mine as well never question any of my members of parliment because i have never had a poli sci degree and have never been in the house of commons.

I dont know what some of you do on here if you just assume the team and av should never be questioned.

Edited by Ghostdivision, 10 February 2012 - 03:05 PM.

#85 Mikey2Dope

Mikey2Dope

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

My god a bunch of you are just so whinny like a stage mom. Play my kid more play my kid more. I don't care how the team does! I just want the coach to play my kid more. It's not fair! Forget that we are one point behind first in the NHL, the coach is awful and has no idea what he's doing because my kid doesn't play enough! I don't care if we get other players going. I just want to see my kid play!

THIS

I also find it hilarious that people complain that "AV plays favourites" and then whine when he doesn't play favourites with guys like Hodgson. CDC I tell ya....

#86 darnucks

darnucks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:30 AM

Do some of you understand the point of a message board?

Its to encourage discussion and opinions. For some of you with the how dare you question av attitude, thats what a message board is to encourage discussion and personal opinions, its not to say were right or av is wrong, but we can disagree with him and share our opinion. I certainly dont believe for a second i am a better coach then av, but i do question and have different opinions then him at times, alot of times i like what he does. Av is not god either and can make mistakes. The minute someone questions something he does a few of you just snap and say how dare you question av you have not taken a team to the stanely cup.

With that closed minded attitude i mine as well never question any of my members of parliment because i have never had a poli sci degree and have never been in the house of commons.

I dont know what some of you do on here if you just assume the team and av should never be questioned.

You're right it is the place to offer your opinion but the AV bashing over Hodgson's ice time is getting ridiculous. It's starting to sound like people care more about Hodgson getting ice time then the team winning. Does it help offensively if he's on the ice more? I'm sure it does but the constant AV bashing over him not getting enough (in some people's opinions) is getting ridiculous.

Edited by darnucks, 12 February 2012 - 10:29 AM.

#87 z0rg

z0rg

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

It constantly amazes me on here how many people don't understand that a good/great coach is CONSTANTLY assessing his players every minute he is in their presence. So are his trusted assistants.

AV may have noticed something in Manny OR Coho that we are not privy to. Give the guy a break and some credit and for goodness sake stop bitching like a parent whose favoured child has been demoted by the school hockey coach. Anyone would think AV went out of his way to ruin the team and the players judging by the constant whining on here.

I think AV is doing something great here. He is showing he has learned from last year. Injuries aside, we didn't have the personnel or the proof in practice to enable us to change things around and by doing so put the opposition off their game ...............when it looked like they had figured us out. It seems to me that he has he rightly waited until we are where we want to be and now he is putting in place these options which can be used when things need changed up. That is smart. Smarter still he is doing it not only to the benefit of our established stars but he is giving these fringe players a real gee up and telling them "this is what I might ask you to do and look, you are very capable of doing it." All this while staying apace with the other top teams who are knocking their pans out to stick with us. AV and MG have as Baldric would say "a cunning plan" :)

could not of said it better so I didn't!!! :)

Edited by z0rg, 11 February 2012 - 12:25 PM.

Posted Image

#88 Tvinz

Tvinz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:43 PM

Um..we won 5-2 and played better defensively.. so .. guess it worked?

Sorry your boyfriend didnt get all the goals...
Posted Image

#89 honey badger36

honey badger36

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

this game was about shaking things up all over to wake the team up a bit players were getting too comfortable in their roles seems like a great idea to give everyone a new line mate for a night here or there on a team where mainly only hanson and raymond move up and down the line up with any regularity.

I thought it was awesome as a fan and I applaud it! glad Hank is ok too.

#90 MANGO

MANGO

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

spread out the offence works for me. Cant put eveybody on the first line.
Posted Image

formerly......puck n icehole

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.