Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Report] Sportsnet: Canucks a finalist for Shane Doan

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
146 replies to this topic

#121 Villain

Villain

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

<p>

Wrong.

http://dictionary.re...m/browse/either

Example:You EITHER like this or you don't.Saying I like "either A, B or C" is absolutely non-sensical.

It is sad that English usage has been corrupted and now people are using words inappropriately.

You have referenced its use as an ADJECTIVE. When used as a CONJUNCTION, it is correct to introduce a list of 2 or more with 'either'. This information is not a secret. You just have to read past the first bit of the definition which supports what you are saying.
(HINT: it's even on the very page you linked above!)

I will agree with your last statement, however. But unfortunately I think in this case you are perpetuating that sad state rather than working to reverse it.

Edited by Villain, 13 February 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#122 Villain

Villain

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

Love the fact that "you" made a new account to back him up, btw.

Because "you" obviously waited to pluck your CDC post virginity just to post the above right? :rolleyes:

My CDC virginity isn't something I really considered or was concerned with. I was reading the thread, and saw that you were not only totally wrong, but being a d*ck about it. So I signed up and responded.

Holier-than-thou people really bug me. And when they're WRONG, it's that much worse.

#123 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

<p><p>

My CDC virginity isn't something I really considered or was concerned with.††I was reading the thread, and saw that you were not only totally wrong, but being a d*ck about it.††So I signed up and responded.

Holier-than-thou people really bug me.††And when they're WRONG, it's that much worse.

Actually, I find it very very suspicious that you "signed" up just to reply to me, LOL. No other threads worth replying to? Surely there are more posts "more controversial" than a dispute over the use of "either"I still think you're one of the posters on here, most probably Buttock.Loved how your original post got deleted though and I didn't touch a finger. But I am very surprised that you're still around even though you're definitely not a "new" poster. A new poster just doesn't go into a random thread like that, Lol.Perhaps comparing an IP address would do?

http://en.wiktionary...her#Conjunction

††††Introduces the first of two options, the second of which is introduced by "or".††††††††Either you eat your dinner or you go to your room.

*formatting issues

Edited by Dazzle, 13 February 2012 - 01:54 PM.

Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#124 Villain

Villain

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

Actually, I find it very very suspicious that you "signed" up just to reply to me, LOL. No other threads worth replying to? Surely there are more posts "more controversial" than a dispute over the use of "either"I still think you're one of the posters on here, most probably Buttock.Loved how your original post got deleted though and I didn't touch a finger. But I am very surprised that you're still around even though you're definitely not a "new" poster. A new poster just doesn't go into a random thread like that, Lol.Perhaps comparing an IP address would do?

You can be as suspicious as you like. It doesn't change the fact that you're wrong. You can think I am Buttock, Bollock or Batman for all I care. Go ahead and do an IP address compare if you're that paranoid. What difference would it make, though?

http://en.wiktionary...her#Conjunction
Introduces the first of two options, the second of which is introduced by "or". Either you eat your dinner or you go to your room.

That link doesn't do anything for your argument that it is WRONG for 'either' to introduce a list of 2+ items. I suppose it allows you to continue to blindly ASSUME that you're right, but that helps no one but you, really.

Instead, I refer you to your own link (http://dictionary.re...m/browse/either) which EXPLICITLY states that as a conjunction, 'either' can be used in this manner! That was YOUR link!

I suspect it is pointless to try anymore... but I will give it one more shot. I can't make it any easier for you than this:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...n+more+than+two

On the first page of results alone, you will find four or five references which clearly and unambiguously state that this usage of 'either' is correct. Not just 'acceptable' or 'tolerated with prejudice'... but CORRECT.

Sincerely,
Batman

#125 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

Can you guys take this debate out of this thread and into your own private messages?

My guess is that most people don't care.

On topic:

It'll be interesting to see what CDC members think of Doan after he plays against the Canucks tonight. I think a lot of people fail to realize he isn't as dominant as he once was. Or who knows, maybe he'll have a great game and 10 proposals will pop up...

Regardless, it is weird that this isn't locked considering nobody actually ever said that the Canucks were a finalist for Doan.. :rolleyes:.

#126 Mack Attack

Mack Attack

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

Can you guys take this debate out of this thread and into your own private messages?

My guess is that most people don't care.

On topic:

It'll be interesting to see what CDC members think of Doan after he plays against the Canucks tonight. I think a lot of people fail to realize he isn't as dominant as he once was. Or who knows, maybe he'll have a great game and 10 proposals will pop up...

Regardless, it is weird that this isn't locked considering nobody actually ever said that the Canucks were a finalist for Doan.. :rolleyes:.

Basically the only way he's moved is if the Coyotes fall out of contention and Bettman officially announced that they're moving. There's about .01% chance of both of these happening in two weeks.

But it's fun to speculate I guess.

#127 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

Basically the only way he's moved is if the Coyotes fall out of contention and Bettman officially announced that they're moving. There's about .01% chance of both of these happening in two weeks.

But it's fun to speculate I guess.

Yeah.

I don't like Doan for personal reasons (the same ones I don't like Ryan Walter), but a player of his style would obviously look good next to Cody on the PP and with the Sedins if Burrows is going through a funk.

#128 Vigneault's Stache

Vigneault's Stache

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

pfffttt i wish
Posted Image

#129 Vigneault's Stache

Vigneault's Stache

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

You can be as suspicious as you like. It doesn't change the fact that you're wrong. You can think I am Buttock, Bollock or Batman for all I care. Go ahead and do an IP address compare if you're that paranoid. What difference would it make, though?

That link doesn't do anything for your argument that it is WRONG for 'either' to introduce a list of 2+ items. I suppose it allows you to continue to blindly ASSUME that you're right, but that helps no one but you, really.

Instead, I refer you to your own link (http://dictionary.re...m/browse/either) which EXPLICITLY states that as a conjunction, 'either' can be used in this manner! That was YOUR link!

I suspect it is pointless to try anymore... but I will give it one more shot. I can't make it any easier for you than this:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...n+more+than+two

On the first page of results alone, you will find four or five references which clearly and unambiguously state that this usage of 'either' is correct. Not just 'acceptable' or 'tolerated with prejudice'... but CORRECT.

Sincerely,
Batman

wow seriously shut the hell up
Posted Image

#130 Pavel_Bure 10

Pavel_Bure 10

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

Add in Aucoin while we're at it.

#131 rypper-37

rypper-37

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

Landing a Doan would be sickkk. But I agree, defence first. We all saw how our D dropped like flies last year in playoffs. Watching Rome and Ballard as 2nd pairing has to be frightening.

#132 Colinisacanuck

Colinisacanuck

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

Please get Doan, he would be perfect playing on the RW with Kesler and Booth. Even if it takes overpayment, maybe 4.5 to 5 mill, please sign him! He would be a very good locker room presence and at this point of his career he just wants to win, get him!!!

#133 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

I was all excited until I saw the OP. <_<

g3HKFnX.png

#134 mpt

mpt

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,448 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

Please get Doan, he would be perfect playing on the RW with Kesler and Booth. Even if it takes overpayment, maybe 4.5 to 5 mill, please sign him! He would be a very good locker room presence and at this point of his career he just wants to win, get him!!!

Why would you bother bumping this old thread when there is a Doan topic already.

#135 mpt

mpt

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,448 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

I was all excited until I saw the OP. <_<

And that it was posted back in February

#136 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

This is from february, went pretty deep to bump this one....

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#137 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

Why in the blue hell would you bump this thread?

Edited by Canucksbiggestfan, 05 July 2012 - 10:27 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#138 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

And that it was posted back in February

Haha. That too

g3HKFnX.png

#139 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,900 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

Mods you need to enforce a policy where 5 year olds like this psoter who think they are "funny" get a warning for pulling this type of crap. So many people are going to be excited and then realize this was a thread from February. It really gets annoying because it is crap we see every day but so many people get suckered by this.

Edited by canuckbeliever, 05 July 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#140 Froggy Fresh

Froggy Fresh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

Mods you need to enforce a policy where 5 year olds like this psoter who think they are "funny" get a warning for pulling this type of crap. So many people are going to be excited and then realize this was a thread from February. It really gets annoying because it is crap we see every day but so many people get suckered by this.

If a little bump got you that upset, maybe you shouldn't go onto the internet.

Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!

#141 mpt

mpt

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,448 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

If a little bump got you that upset, maybe you shouldn't go onto the internet.

I think its more about why would you bump a dead thread from months ago when there is a relevant thread on this topic already. I agree people here should be warned for bumping an old thread with completely irrelevant information. It clogs up the forum with garbage.

#142 CanucksLegacy

CanucksLegacy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:47 AM

I found it quite humorous haha. We all got trolled lol.

>People taking a bump this seriously...come on lighten up

Posted ImagePosted Image

#143 Canucks fan in chicago

Canucks fan in chicago

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

He's old and a dirty player. We need a center not a winger.

#144 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,463 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

The fact this is from Feb and it obviously never happened tells you how good a source Sportsnet rumours are.
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#145 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

I saw samjam99 or whatever as the OP and the date before I even clicked and took a look inside. Don't get you panties twisted, like someone said somewhere earlier. Are you one of those people that sues companies if it's not mentioned in their manual that your pet parrot might strangle himself on an eggshell or whatever the hell you might come up with?
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#146 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

I saw samjam99 or whatever as the OP and the date before I even clicked and took a look inside. Don't get you panties twisted, like someone said somewhere earlier. Are you one of those people that sues companies if it's not mentioned in their manual that your pet parrot might strangle himself on an eggshell or whatever the hell you might come up with?

He's not demanding compensation. There's just no reason to support jokes like this. Poster should get a warning. Why not?
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

View Postbahkwan, on 03 December 2010 - 12:55 PM, said:

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#147 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,449 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

More current threads:
http://forum.canucks...least-july-8th/
http://forum.canucks...couver-canucks/
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.