Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Canucks players visit paralyzed Minnesota teenager

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#1 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,500 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:04 AM

Amazing how, even with a sore ankle, Henrik still managed to go visit the kid.

ST. PAUL, Minn. — Vancouver Canucks defenceman Andrew Alberts has been a healthy scratch several times this season and sometimes that requires a little perspective.

Alberts got it when the Twin Cities native gathered a few of his Canucks teammates after Wednesday's late-afternoon practice and visited Jack Jablonski, the 16-year-old Minneapolis-area teen who was left paralyzed after a hit from behind during a junior varsity high school hockey game on Dec. 30.

Jablonski's devastating injury had an effect on most who play the game, either professionally or recreationally, but few more so than Alberts.

Jablonski attends the same high school Alberts graduated from — Benilde-St. Margaret's — and Alberts met the teen last summer.

"Every now and then they'll grab a group of young kids and they'll come and work out with the pro guys at the gym we train at," Alberts said before Thursday night's game against the Minnesota Wild. "So I had a chance to meet him this past summer and he's just a great kid, a good hockey player. You don't want to see it happen to anybody, but he's got the right attitude. That's the biggest thing."
Alberts and the other Canucks who visited Jablonski — including Cory Schneider, Dan Hamhuis, Daniel and Henrik Sedin, Alex Edler, Mason Raymond and Manny Malhotra — were all struck by his positive attitude.

"It must be so frustrating to be laying in a bed when he should be at high school playing hockey with his friends," Hamhuis said. "But he seemed to be doing really well. He was upbeat and carried the conversation in a room with seven or eight NHL guys. It was pretty neat to see."

Jablonski's spinal cord was severed and two vertebrae were fractured when he was hit from behind in that game. He was recently moved from hospital to a rehabilitation centre and Alberts said he is making remarkable progress.

"It's tough to see anybody like that, but his spirits are up and he's breaking new barriers every day doing things they said he wasn't going to do," Alberts said. "I'm proud of his effort and he is staying positive and that is the biggest thing. He was talking about the video game he is playing with electrodes attached to his triceps so every time he flexes his triceps he works the game.

"So his muscles are moving and and he's starting to feel things with his left and right hands. Every day is a building block for him and he sees progress every day and it's huge."

Alberts said Jablonski seemed particularly delighted to meet the Sedins.

"I think he was surprised at how many guys came. I know Hank and Danny are a couple of his favourite players and he enjoyed it."

Schneider said the visit will have a lasting impact on him and the rest of his teammates.

"Andrew wanted a few of us to go down and let Jack know that he is not alone and that we are thinking of him," Schneider said. "The hockey community is pretty tight-knit and we all know it could happen to anybody at any time. That's the scary reality of it. He was unfortunate enough to have it happen to him at such a young age. It was the least we could do to share our thoughts and show him we're behind him and hopefully he can make as much of a recovery as he can."

http://www.faceoff.c...9351/story.html

Jablonski tweeted this:

Got the pleasure of meeting 8 Vancouver Canucks tonight #unreal

Jenna Privette, a female hockey player from Minnesota, also suffered the same injury and is also paralyzed. The media hasn't reported her story at all. Everyone seems transfixed on Jablonski's so Privette hasn't gotten the same support. Wish someone would report her story too. I'm sure the Canucks would have loved to stop by and lend her some support.

At any rate, great to see that the team gives back to the community not only in Vancouver but wherever they go.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#2 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

that is heartwarming, stay classy vancouver

Posted Image

#3 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:19 AM

classy by the boys, but wow i had no idea that a girl was paralyzed as well although from reading it looks like her prognosis is a bit better.

"In 2008, Jenna Privette, then an eighth-grader, suffered a hockey-related injury that left her paralyzed. Penny Privette said her daughter regained use of her upper body and limbs in stages over a period of about 1-1/2 weeks."

and now shes injured again, im surprised they let her play hockey again after an injury like that. Kind of sad that she gets no media support outside of minnesota that i could find.

http://www.twincitie...rts/ci_19920629 (article on jenna for anyone that wants it)

#4 XX_canucks33_XX

XX_canucks33_XX

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:20 AM

wow.....great humanitarian act from Canucks. makes me proud as a fan :D

#5 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,500 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:21 AM

classy by the boys, but wow i had no idea that a girl was paralyzed as well although from reading it looks like her prognosis is a bit better.

"In 2008, Jenna Privette, then an eighth-grader, suffered a hockey-related injury that left her paralyzed. Penny Privette said her daughter regained use of her upper body and limbs in stages over a period of about 1-1/2 weeks."

and now shes injured again, im surprised they let her play hockey again after an injury like that. Kind of sad that she gets no media support outside of minnesota that i could find.

http://www.twincitie...rts/ci_19920629 (article on jenna for anyone that wants it)

Cheers thanks for the link
I didn't realize that she'd suffered a similar injury in 08. Scary stuff.
Wishing both teens all the best in their recoveries.
Posted Image

#6 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,772 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:22 AM

If ever there was inspiration to play hard, playing for those who can't surely is. I'm sure the boys left with the reminder that playing the game they love is a gift and to appreciate every moment of it. To see a kid who's handling it so well also likely puts it all in perspective...

Hope both of these players do well in recovery - so sad when young people are stripped of their ability to enjoy the things they love. Glad to see that the remarkable technology we have today still allows for video gaming in this situation - pretty amazing.

Posted Image

#7 Touchet

Touchet

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:25 AM

Wow, this organization never ceases to amaze me by the way they're out giving back to people and places all over. Just another example of how this team is "classless" and the "most hated team in the league" though. :rolleyes:

Edited by Touchet, 10 February 2012 - 01:28 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image Prestige Worldwide - GM of the Pittsburgh Penguins

#8 Kayl

Kayl

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:25 AM

I'm so glad that some of the guys went to visit him. It really makes you realize how lucky MayRay was after his broken bones.

#9 Touchet

Touchet

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:26 AM

Oops double post.

Edited by Touchet, 10 February 2012 - 01:28 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 Touchet

Touchet

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:26 AM

Oops, another post, lol. If any thread deserves it though it's this one. Great story, thanks for the post.

Edited by Touchet, 10 February 2012 - 01:29 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:27 AM

awsome story! I don't care what anybody says, The Vancouver Canucks organization are a damn classy organization with some classy players. Enough said.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#12 SimplyHockey

SimplyHockey

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:08 AM

<p>

Jablonski tweeted this:

Jenna Privette, a female hockey player from Minnesota, also suffered the same injury and is also paralyzed. The media hasn't reported her story at all. Everyone seems transfixed on Jablonski's so Privette hasn't gotten the same support. Wish someone would report her story too. I'm sure the Canucks would have loved to stop by and lend her some support.

At any rate, great to see that the team gives back to the community not only in Vancouver but wherever they go.

What a great heart warming story. I love to hear stories like this. It examplifies the great character of the players of the Canucks organization. I am very proud of our boys in blue and green.
"If you win say nothing, if you lose say less."

#13 MattJVD

MattJVD

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:10 AM

Makes your heart grow a little bit when we hear how down-to-earth and caring our players are. I'm even more proud to be a Canucks fan.

#14 Arman_Canucks21

Arman_Canucks21

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:18 AM

Jablonski is just so inspiring.

#15 rluongo01

rluongo01

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:41 AM

It's acts like this that make me wonder how we got the title of "most hated team."
We have some amazing class acts on this team. Great job boys!

#16 JustNazzy

JustNazzy

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:46 AM

Jablonski tweeted this:

I read it and saw the video on Yahoo sports about a month ago.. I thought this was her until I saw the name Jack and realized it wasn't, they were talking about a male and not a female. Her mother was furious over the hit. Your right though, same thing, was also hit from behind just like Jack. Hope they are both able to get some of their life back. My best wishes goes out to them and both of their families.

EDIT:

I have great news for you. Cooincidently I went looking for the link that I read, so that you can read it, and 10 hours ago this was reported:

• Good news: Minnesota high school hockey player Jenna Privette, who was hit during a game last month, remains paralyzed from the waist down, but doctors expect a full recovery. [Duluth News Tribune]

From Puck Daddy

http://sports.yahoo....nhl-puck-daddy/

Hope this makes you feel a little better about her situation. =)

Edited by JustNazzy, 10 February 2012 - 02:55 AM.

3-1_zps2a110f68.png

#17 Southern Mail

Southern Mail

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:05 AM

Well done Alberts and Co.! I'm sure that it works both ways - Hank probably drew some inspiration from the visit as well.

#18 Edler0023

Edler0023

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:14 AM

Warmed my cold, classless Canuck heart. Very inspiring to see Jablonski be so positive after what he has been through - I cannot imagine being in his situation, just ..wow ..

Canucks <3

#19 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:09 AM

Good job,guys.

Who says grateful and privileged cannot meet one another for the bigger picture?

#20 The Nuckist

The Nuckist

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:11 AM

Its funny how reading an article like that can really put your life into perspective. it really makes you feel silly for some of the things that get you stressed. good on Alberts and the canucks. I hope Jablonski continues getting stronger and keeps inspiring others, like he has just inspired me.
"There are a lot of selfless players on our roster ... I think, to a man, if you asked the guys, they would rather win a game 1-0 than lose a game and get a hat trick. That's the type of guys we have in our room and that's the type of player you need to be successful."
-- Kevin Bieksa

#21 Oh Whisht

Oh Whisht

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

Great story; thanks for posting. What a nice thing to do, and especially for Henrik, who could very well have begged off on account of his sore foot. But, that's not how Henrik works, and we're all glad of that.

#22 Cody9

Cody9

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:55 AM

Its funny how reading an article like that can really put your life into perspective. it really makes you feel silly for some of the things that get you stressed. good on Alberts and the canucks. I hope Jablonski continues getting stronger and keeps inspiring others, like he has just inspired me.

COULDN'T agree with you MORE.

#23 Stark

Stark

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:12 AM

Heartwarming, thanks for sharing. Can I just say that I love this team?
Posted Image

R.I.P. LB RR PD

#24 Shea Weber

Shea Weber

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

ANOTHER classy move by vancouver canuck players!
Posted Image
Credit goes to: GoaltenderInterfernce

#25 Sedintron

Sedintron

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:16 AM

What's to hate about these guys? I say, nothing.

Posted Image

#26 leo

leo

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

One of the reasons I love hockey, you don't see this kind of attitude in many other sports, keep it up guys

Because there are also Canucks Fans in Brazil

Posted Image

#27 jamadian33

jamadian33

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

It's acts like this that make me wonder how we got the title of "most hated team."
We have some amazing class acts on this team. Great job boys!

Anytime you are on top and you beat everyone, you become hated, human nature is full of jealousy. Just take the comments and the bad press as a sign of a job well done, just remember nobody hated the Canucks when they were getting beat.

Edited by jamadian33, 10 February 2012 - 11:42 AM.

#28 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,500 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:44 PM

I read it and saw the video on Yahoo sports about a month ago.. I thought this was her until I saw the name Jack and realized it wasn't, they were talking about a male and not a female. Her mother was furious over the hit. Your right though, same thing, was also hit from behind just like Jack. Hope they are both able to get some of their life back. My best wishes goes out to them and both of their families.

EDIT:

I have great news for you. Cooincidently I went looking for the link that I read, so that you can read it, and 10 hours ago this was reported:

• Good news: Minnesota high school hockey player Jenna Privette, who was hit during a game last month, remains paralyzed from the waist down, but doctors expect a full recovery. [Duluth News Tribune]

From Puck Daddy

http://sports.yahoo....nhl-puck-daddy/

Hope this makes you feel a little better about her situation. =)

Thanks, I appreciate the link
Great to hear that she's doing better. Hopefully the fact that both Jenna and Jack were young, healthy, and active teenagers will work in their favour and help them recover as much of their mobility as possible
Posted Image

#29 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

What a heart warming thread .. I, too, love ths team .. thanks for sharing this with us ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#30 Yeria

Yeria

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

It's just so sad that some people are so ignorant and call these great people "the sisters" and "the whiners". I have nothing but the respect for Sedins for what they do on and off the ice.
Posted Image
Thanks to Hockey_Crazy for the sig!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.