The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks players visit paralyzed Minnesota teenager

hockeyville88

And we are the most hated team why?.... Sedins seen as bad people/sisters for what? doing stuff like this? Patrick Kane hits a cab driver and is seen as a hero (in the states atleast), Chara nearly kills Paccioretty and is also seen as a hero across the league.

Amazing how, even with a sore ankle, Henrik still managed to go visit the kid.

http://www.faceoff.c...9351/story.html

Jablonski tweeted this:

Jenna Privette, a female hockey player from Minnesota, also suffered the same injury and is also paralyzed. The media hasn't reported her story at all. Everyone seems transfixed on Jablonski's so Privette hasn't gotten the same support. Wish someone would report her story too. I'm sure the Canucks would have loved to stop by and lend her some support.

At any rate, great to see that the team gives back to the community not only in Vancouver but wherever they go.

What classless fellows those Canucks are..

These kind of stories really warm your hearts, although Jack is still in a very unfortunate situation.. I wish him the best recovery, and like the article said, he's making breakthroughs that he was never supposed to be able to make.. So I'm wishing for a full recovery for Jack.

Best hope for Jack's injury lies in stem cell research .. here is hoping they step up the research without Congress interferring .. I am sure the Canucks went along to support teamate Alberts .. goes to show how close-knit this team is .. a special group for sure ..

Hi all. I've been reading the forum here for years and finally decided to take the plunge and register so this is my first post. I'm a lifelong Canucks fan in Minnesota(oh the stories I could share about rude/ignorant fans who continue to say ALL Canuck fans/players are worthless, dirty, cheap, uneducated, don't care about anything but themselves, etc...but I'll save those for another reply/post. ha.) Anyways, I saw the article about Alberts visiting Jack Jablonski on my regular local media and read the post and saw the support the Canuck fans were giving and wanted to share a little about what I know about this situation.

First off, what a classy thing these players did by visiting the injured player. Regardless if it happens in every city they visit or not. The general public response to a single player doing something of this nature is usually pretty shocking but to have 8 players, EIGHT of them, take time out of their schedule to support someone who may very well be a stranger is absolutely amazing. Great job guys. Things such as this must do wonders for anyone who's struggling with an injury, illness, hard times, etc. The MN Wild has done a lot during this time as well and I can't think of any player in particular but I have read online that several other NHL players have taken time to visit and/or show support while in town to play the Wild. NHL guys seem to care and give back the most among pro sports and regardless if it's a Canuck doing it or a player from another team, it's amazing to see and hear about. Great job to all of them!

Secondly there were a few responses mentioning a girl who also got hurt during a MN high school game, Jenna Privette. Here's a link to the most recent article I found.

http://www.kare11.co...?storyid=961034

From what I've read/heard from high school hockey parents/fans, this is the 2nd time she has suffered this type of injury. Thankfully, she recovered the first time and looks to make a full recovery this time as well. I'm not sure about the questions/concerns about the amount of coverage the media has gave her. For a while, you couldn't listen to the local radio, watch local news, or check the local news websites without a story about "illegal hits from behind" and the players who were severely affected by said hits. It continues today and has also spread to concussions and such. Jenna's injury, to me, seemed to get more coverage due to the fact everyone was already riled up about the Jablonski hit and her injury happened after his. I personally don't care if one gets more media attention than the other so long as they're both on their way to recovery and getting the help/support they need. But one thing that I guess may or may not be affecting the current coverage is that there are conflicting reports as to how Jenna's injury happened.

http://www.kare11.co...?storyid=956123

Appears to be a "he said, she said" blame game going on, or blame wanting to be placed on someone or something and nobody is accepting responsibility. If this is affecting the support she is getting, than I think it's a shame but hopefully it is not. How this plays into it all is just my speculation but I wanted to put it out there that my gf's sister plays high school hockey for a school other than one that Jack or Jenna attends and I've attended a few of the games and both Jack and Jenna are talked about often and supported throughout those areas so regardless of what the media reports, they are supported and thought of by those who have family members and friends who play and support high school hockey.

The NHL set the tone this season on illegal/cheap hits, even the ones that don't result in injury, and I think the trickle-down effect has reached high school hockey in Minnesota. Unfortunately, it didn't take affect until AFTER these two players, and most likely other players as well, suffered severe injuries. I do remember reading another article a few weeks back where they radically changed the consequences for players who commit the stereotypical infractions that can result in these types of injuries. Boarding, checking from behind, etc. If I remember correctly, there isn't even a 2 minute minor option anymore, it all starts at a double-minor and goes up to immediate game ejection and multi-game suspension. I did a quick search for the link to that story and couldn't find it as I'm pressed for time now but I know there was a story about the rule changes at www.Kare11.com.

Either way, just wanted to say hi and share what I've experienced on a topic that I'm sure will continue to garner more attention as the NHL season moves towards playoffs and the high schools around North America move towards their playoffs. I personally don't care for the majority of the media and what they say as it's all trying to be a reality show anyways but it sure appears that these two kids have a great support network in and out of the hockey community, media coverage or not, and that's what really matters.

And once again, hats off, Canuck players and Canuck fans who took the time to acknowledge and show support. Things such as this truly put things in perspective and make me proud, once again, to be a Canuck fan. Go Nucks!

Best of luck to the young lad with his rehabilitation. Great to see the heartfelt humanitarian spirit of these players going for the visit, hope it helps at the tough moments for this young man. Lots of compassion from the "most hated team in hockey" .

• 1 month later...

Just as a follow-up to this (since it was brought up about the players visiting JB.) The team that Jablonski played for (BSM,) just won the Minnesota High School Boys AA tournament this past Saturday. It's the first time any school as won both the A (smaller schools) and AA (larger schools and small schools that opt-up to play the bigger schools) state titles.

They had to upset the #2 ranked team in the state (my alma mater) to qualify for the state tournament, and after the victory... they brought Jack out onto the ice to celebrate with the team. After they won the state championship (they had to defeat the #5 team in the state, a 12th ranked team and finally the 8th ranked team,) Jeremy Roenick called the team to point out who special this accomplishment was.

Going into the tournament, I believe they were ranked either 6th or 7th in the state.

^ Thanks for the update. Nice to hear a positive story particularly in light of what most of the other topics are addressing right now ;)

It's amazing how a team can take a tragic event and really use it as a rallying point. That's the beauty of a team and that's why I value being a hockey player so much - because you're never alone.

^ Thanks for the update. Nice to hear a positive story particularly in light of what most of the other topics are addressing right now ;)

It's amazing how a team can take a tragic event and really use it as a rallying point. That's the beauty of a team and that's why I value being a hockey player so much - because you're never alone.

Archived