The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Survivor: One World

luongoisdaman

Hi everyone! Welcome to a new season of Survivor. I’m so excited to be writing about this season so be sure to join me every week for my recap! The premiere is this week, Wednesday night at 8pm on CBS! Don’t miss it.

As a quick reintroduction of myself, I was on Survivor: Vanuatu and then Survivor Micronesia: Fans vs. Favorites. Survivor: Vanuatu, as you might remember, was a season of men versus women just like this upcoming season, so I hope to be able to provide some insight into the ins and outs of this season of Survivor.

I can’t wait to tell you what I think of this brand new cast, but first, let’s talk about this season’s new twists! First of all, I am SO glad we’re done with redemption island. Once you’re out, that’s it. You’re out. It’s over. See ya later. Getting your torch extinguished by Jeff will now go back to meaning what it always did, that your life in the game is over.

Secondly, although the concept of men versus women is not brand new, the idea of everyone living on one beach together is and I think that will make for a very interesting dynamic and I’m certainly excited to see what kind of drama that brings about.

Also, this season there is a change in the rules for the hidden immunity idol. If you find your tribe’s hidden idol, the rule is now that you must give it to someone on the other tribe. This could make for a lot of interesting negotiations between those who find the idol on opposing tribes. I look forward to seeing how it plays out.

And finally, there will be a number of “self-challenges,” meaning challenges where the tribes have to just run them themselves and there is no Jeff Probst to officiate or to commentate.

Now, let’s get to this brand new cast! (Can you tell I’m excited there are no returning contestants this season?)

I’ll tell you my favorites up front, and my impressions are just from their cbs.com videos, so these favorites are subject to change after the premiere this week.

My favorite female is Kim, the bridesmaid dress boutique owner who also happens to be an outdoor adventure guide, but she’s not going to tell anyone that. I think she seems super athletic and competitive and I like her chances.

As for the guys, I like Matt, the San Francisco lawyer with his own law firm (and no, not just because he’s a cute lawyer). I also like Michael, the banker from Seattle who does not seem like a banker at all. He said it was his third time applying and he seems so excited that he finally got on. I always root for the applicants, especially because now we are so few and far between.

As for the rest of the cast, here are my initial thoughts:

Chelsea seems to be Whitney 2.0. She says she grew up on a farm and trained wild horses. The things she was saying were interesting, but for some reason, I found her to be boring. If she really does know how to spear fish like she says, maybe she will be an asset though.

Christina made me cringe. She is the LA native travel and food writer. The way she said “I’m not your quintessential Asian girl,” though rubbed me the wrong way. What is she saying about Asians? Don’t be self-hating.

Speaking of self-hating, this season we have the gay republican, Colton. He’s only 20 years old and from Alabama. I do like the fact that he has been a Survivor fan for a very long time. He said that at 10 years old had a Survivor themed birthday party. I hear he’s the villain of the season. I’m looking forward to loving to hate him.

Next we have Monica. The 41-year-old NFL wife. Is there anything else to her besides who her husband is? She was not particularly interesting to me.

Is Jay the next Matt Elrod? He’s a 24-year-old model from South Carolina who has gone on mission trips. He seems likeable enough.

We also have our first little person on Survivor this season. Leif is a phlebotomist, meaning he draws people’s blood. Will he be able to fit in and do well enough in the challenges for all the big guys to keep him around? It remains to be seen.

Then we have Kat, the 22-year-old UCF senior. She calls herself the next Jamie Dugan. Does that mean we’ll see her play a fake hidden immunity idol, as well?

I’m a big fan of Sabrina. She’s a fellow New Yorker, so how could I not root for her? She’s a teacher by day and a jewelry designer by night. She says she has a mouth on her which will be both her strength and her weakness. I hope she sticks around for a while because she cracks me up. She puts up with rats in NYC subway, so she should be fine on Survivor.

Speaking of mouthy girls, we’ve also got Alicia who teaches high school special education. She’s already ripping on the other girls in her pre-game video saying she’s not a size zero like these other girls. I think she will be entertaining to watch, but may not last too long.

I think Kourtney will also struggle on Survivor. Yes, she’s a mechanic and a single mom to a 7-year-old son, but she says she wants to play with integrity, she doesn’t want to flip flop or stab people in back. Anyone who says they’d rather be a hero in heroes versus villains is kind of lame in my opinion and not going to make it very far in this game.

Then we have a guy named Troy who wants to go by “Troyzan.” That is pretty annoying. Though he has been preparing to be on Survivor for 11 years. Will he be grating to his other cast members? I’m gonna go with, yes.

Also, we have Jonas, a sushi chef born in Hawaii. He claims he recognizes that this is not an intimidating profession, but then maybe he should have done a bit more working out before coming to the island.

Our oldest woman this season is Nina. Even though she used to be LAPD, I think she’s in trouble. She won’t fit in with the group of young girls.

Then we have Greg who ALSO wants to go by Tarzan. Jeez. He’s a plastic surgeon but fancies himself an adventurer. He also has a crazy Coach-like story about being on a plane that crashed in Nicaragua. The only difference is I bet he is telling the truth. He claims he does not care about the money just wants to win.

Finally we have Bill, the Iraq war veteran. Let’s see if he can use that to his advantage.

Hmmm.....

Just going by what we see as the result of editing....

Matt is the most arrogant jerk I've ever seen and I cannot wait for the day he gets his ass voted out and he's so surprised that it happened..

Really......stealing from the girl's equipment pile? That only made you look like jerks, men's team.....

And then whining because the women wouldn't 'share' the chickens that THEY caught themselves??? :rolleyes:

But the bigger issue I have is with the women......

As a woman, I am embarrassed by some of them and embarrassed FOR some of them.....

Really? You steal fire but then let the fire go out???????? Just how retarded are you?

Alicia........queen bitch extraordinaire.......it's going to be fun watching her get her comeuppance

Christina.........hope she's the one who delivers it.... the comeuppance, that is.

The women did not acquit themselves very well and fed right into the stereotype I think a lot of people thought would be apparent......

But then again.......the "Frat" boys didn't really either...... keep flashing those 6-packs pretty boys.......it's the attitude that's going to sink you.

:lol: BB I want a recap like that every week.

I thought this was one of the better opening episodes. Still wish opening episode was 2 hours so you could get to know everyone better.

So far I really like Monica and Chelsea. They look pretty kick ass to me.

I hope the women wake up and punt Alicia early - she is trouble (but her antics will probably make for good TV viewing).

No one to hate or cheer for from the guys yet.

Must suck to lose out on the first day because of a broken wrist. Talk about non-survivor :lol:

And I was really disappointed with the guys when bargaining for the chickens. At the very least they should of argued it was a team effort by helping the girls corral the chickens. Yes it is easier to corral than grab (well done Chelsea) but at least use the argument boys!

can't wait for next week

Alicia is pretty damn annoying and arrogant. She's not even as remotely attractive as she believes she is.

I liked the Asian girl. Seemed like she atleast has a smart head on her shoulders.

The guys seem pretty bland. Colton (the gay guy) is already annoying and sealed his fate of becoming an early exit.

Newsflash, if you need an immunity idol THIS early in the game, you're introuble.

Kind of a meh episode.

It will be interesting to see Colton's use of the idol play out. We really haven't gotten to learn much about the boys yet since they haven't been to tribal.

I don't think it is fair to say 'girlpower' is taking a hit with the performance of the female tribe. One girl pretty much let them down.

And what's with the 'boobs' excuse in the challenge???? I don't ever want to hear women complain about touching boobs again!! ::D

ROTFLMAO!!! :lol:

That is all............

Well, Matt, how'd you like them apples? Have wanted him gone since the day they all set foot on the beach.......smug, arrogant, sexist..........enjoy the trip home, lawyer boy!

:lol:

If I didn't know better, I'd swear those challenges tonight were geared specifically to, and more addressing the, traits that women tend to possess......... just an observation.

ROTFLMAO!!! :lol:

That is all............

Well, Matt, how'd you like them apples? Have wanted him gone since the day they all set foot on the beach.......smug, arrogant, sexist..........enjoy the trip home, lawyer boy!

:lol:

If I didn't know better, I'd swear those challenges tonight were geared specifically to, and more addressing the, traits that women tend to possess......... just an observation.

Archived