The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Breaking News: Press Conference Scheduled in Seattle to Announce Arena Deal

CanuckRow

One more Seattle council meeting to go and their arena is a done deal. Sounds like a 9-0 vote is coming on Monday night. However, it seems that IF Seattle is going to be a member of Gary Bettmans' band of merry men, its going to be via expansion. Expansion??? What a friggin' joke! 31 teams, with a possibility of 32 with either Quebec City or if you can believe it, La$Vega$. I'll be damned if I want to see another 5 or 6 years of watered down hockey, but this is unbelievable.

Lets just through another $25M per at Glendale, lets prop up Nashville, Florida, Columbus, rebuild Dallas, with all this expansion money boys, 'cause this is the way the NHL is going to continue to operate. Can you say lock-out or strike in another 5 or 6 years, because of what? You guessed it sports fans, whom wants more of their share?

City Council approves financing plan for Sodo arena

By NICK EATON, SEATTLEPI.COM STAFF

Updated 4:56 p.m., Monday, September 24, 2012

The Seattle City Council on Monday approved a financing plan for a new multipurpose sports arena in the Sodo neighborhood, marking a huge step in the effort to bring the NBA back to town.

Councilmembers voted 6-2 to approve the deal. The "memorandum of understanding" (MOU) between the City Council and the main arena investor, Chris Hansen, now goes back to the King County Council for approval.

Assuming the County Council reaffirms its earlier support for the arena plan, the process will move forward to a state-mandated environmental review for the proposed construction site south of Safeco Field. The study, as required by a City Council amendment to the MOU, will also consider Seattle Center as a potential alternative site.

Meanwhile, Hansen now has the firm support from the city he needs to secure an NBA team to relocate to Seattle. He also wants an investment partner to acquire a professional hockey league for Seattle, which has never had a NHL team.

"This is about a can-do spirit," City Councilman Tim Burgess said during Monday's hearing at City Hall, "and grabbing onto the opportunities that are handed to our city."

"This is the kind of decision that is difficult," he added, "but the kind I see the people of Seattle wanting to make -- looking forward and not looking back."

Burgess was among the councilmembers who voted yes on the arena plan Monday. Councilmembers Richard Conlin and Nick Licata voted no; voting yes were Sally Bagshaw, Burgess, Sally Clark, Jean Godden, Bruce Harrell, Mike O'Brien. Councilmember Tom Rasmussen was not present.

Under the agreement, the city and county would contribute up to $200 million in bonds to help construct the arena. The loans would be paid back over a period of 32 years (two 30-year bonds that start two years apart) via taxes on the arena and operations there. No new general taxes would be created, so only people who use the arena would help pay for it.

The MOU that passed Monday includes several amendments to further protect taxpayers from financial risk if the arena venture were to turn out unsuccessful. Aside from several requirements for reserve accounts and legal liabilities, the agreement most notably includes a personal guarantee by Hansen to repay the city and county's debt if it all goes sour.

That was an unusual and key concession for the City Council to finally support Hansen's proposal.

Burgess said Hansen's guarantee was one of four major reasons he switched from an opponent, when he first saw the arena proposal, to a supporter by Monday. Other key MOU adendments included the creation of a $40 million fund to enhance transportation infrastructure in Sodo, and a plan to help fund improvements to KeyArena.

Seattle Center ended up being a big topic of concern as City Council and community members deliberated the proposal for the past few months. People like Councilmember Jean Godden wanted to make sure KeyArena was not forgotten as the city essentially abandons one arena for a new one.

"Change is undoubtably coming to Seattle Center," Godden said on Monday. "This MOU provides us with the resources we need ... for preserving it as an urban hub, and a destination for (Seattleites) and tourists alike."

"The coming changes are a little open-ended, and for some a little scary," Godden said, but it is time to come up with a new direction for KeyArena, she said.

Also key to Monday's legislation was minimizing an arena's impact on the Port of Seattle and its ecosystem of industry near the proposed site. Councilmembers said they were satisfied that the establishment of a Sodo Transportation Fund would address longstanding traffic and congestion issues in Sodo.

Councilmember Bagshaw said it was also very important that the city not be stuck with a worthless, outdated building in three decades. One of the council's MOU amendments allows the city to compel Hansen's group to purchase the arena back if the city no longer wants it after 32 years.

"It's not going to be a white elephant," Bagshaw said.

Conlin, who has opposed the arena proposal since Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn sent it to the council in May, said he still wasn't convinced that using public resources to support a private sports team would be "appropriate." Even though Seattle wouldn't lose any revenue it currently brings in, it would lose out on some of the tax income it would get if an arena were entirely privately funded, Conlin said.

Hansen and the investment partners he has so far announced -- Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and two members of the Nordstrom family -- certainly have the money it would take to build an arena entirely with private money, Conlin said.

Licata, who also voted no Monday, said he was pleased that his fellow city councilmembers made the admendments they did. But he thought the plan was certainly a "death knell" for KeyArena and was still too short-sighted.

"I believe the proposal is a good one," Licata said, "however, I concur with those who focus on the state of a whole forest, and not an individual tree."

McGinn, whose office helped develop the original arena MOU with Hansen, congratulated the City Council for approving the proposal.

In a statement on his arena project's website, SonicsArena.com, Hansen thanked the council for their hard work and cooperation. He plans to now work with the County Council for the final approval process.

"Today's City Council vote marks the culmination of a long and productive negotiation process that started with the Mayor and his staff more than a year ago, and more recently with the City Council," Hansen wrote. "I want to thank all of Seattle's elected officials and their staffs for their willingness to roll up their sleeves and work with us to get us to this point. I think that today's vote demonstrates that by listening to each other and working hard to address the concerns of all stakeholders that we can make the Arena a reality and bring the NBA and NHL to Seattle.

"While we still have a long way to go, I am heartened by the tremendous level of support this project has enjoyed. I look forward to working with the County Council again as they now consider the modified MOU."

You and I are on the same page but the Mariner's front office has been pretty active in its attempts to stop or at least delay the arena deal. The ownership and upper management have a serious disconnect with the Seattle sports fans and their actions against the proposal have been very hypocritical considering that Safeco was funded by tax payers (72%) I believe. With their already struggling attendence record,I'm shocked that they would keep pressing the issue,it certainly won't help getting more people in the door at Safeco. I find their tactics confusing and even scary at times. I'm not much of a baseball guy but ever since they took this stand against the arena,I have decided to save what money I might have spent there and opted for taking the family to the T-Birds game.

• 2 weeks later...

SEATTLE – In near back-to-back votes Monday afternoon, the King County and Seattle councils approved the proposed NBA / NHL arena project in Seattle's SODO neighborhood. County councilmembers voted unanimously (9-0) to approve the revised deal, while the city coucil vote was 7-2.

Investor and hedge fund manager Chris Hansen wants to build the $490 million arena south of Safeco Field and has already snapped up $53 million in land for the project. Monday's approval by the two councils means Hansen can now begin shopping for an NBA and NHL franchise.

The deal reached with the two councils calls for up to $145 million in public financing if Hansen can get one team to fill the building. Public financing would be $200 million for two teams. The financing would be paid by arena-generating revenue and includes no new taxes.

City Council members say the deal was dead until Hansen agreed to use $40 million of the public financing for a transportation fund and up to $7 million more for KeyArena modifications. It’s likely an NBA team would have to play at KeyArena while the proposed arena is under construction.

On Monday, Local 19 of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union unveiled a lawsuit aimed at blocking the construction of the arena in SODO, which is near the busy Port of Seattle. The union argues that the two council erred in endorsing the SODO location before environmental reviews were conducted.

The legislation approved by the councils on Monday requires a full environmental impact study (EIS) on the SODO location.

But Local 19 officials said they believe the EIS will be a “sham” and make a “mockery” of the process.

"The law needs to apply equally to all, all who wish to make an investment to the city. Environmental review is the same, whether you're a small contractor or a hedge fund manager," said Max Vekich with ILWU Local 52 and a former state legislator. "We have to step in and advocate, for not only for ourselves, but for the public who will see money and resources wasted on a sham process. A sham process that would have to be repeated."

Members of both the city and county councils say the deal includes strict language for the EIS.

KING 5's Travis Pittman contributed to this report

http://www.king5.com/sports/Seattle-arena-project-expected-to-get-official-approval-Monday-174120641.html

Hopefully another step closer to Canucks road games in Seattle!

I'm starting to get excited about this development. It appears to be a go. There are any number of weak NHL franchises that might move there. I thought it would be the Yotes and still think they are the most likely candidate.

Another NHL team this close to Van will make a big dif in their travel schedule, especially if they end up in the same division. Hopefully this CBA negociation will have the NHLPA agree to re-alignment. Van can move into the Pacific Division along with Seattle, SJ, LA, ANA. All in the same time zone.

I'm starting to get excited about this development. It appears to be a go. There are any number of weak NHL franchises that might move there. I thought it would be the Yotes and still think they are the most likely candidate.

Another NHL team this close to Van will make a big dif in their travel schedule, especially if they end up in the same division. Hopefully this CBA negociation will have the NHLPA agree to re-alignment. Van can move into the Pacific Division along with Seattle, SJ, LA, ANA. All in the same time zone.

Absolutely love that idea for the Pacific Division. Send Winnipeg to the West and Nashville to the East (just my opinion).

This could work....

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Pacific Divison

- Vancouver

- Seattle

- San Jose

- Los Angeles

- Anaheim

Midwest Division

- Calgary

- Edmonton

- Colorado

- Winnipeg

- Minnesota

Central Division

- Chicago

- Cloumbus

- St. Louis

- Nashville

- Dallas

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Northeast Division

- Montreal

- Toronto

- Ottawa

- Buffalo

- Boston

Atlantic Division

- New Jersey

- NY Rangers

- NY Islanders

- Philadelphia

- Pittsburgh

Southeast Division

- Washington

- Nashville

- Carolina

- Tampa Bay

- Florida

Absolutely love that idea for the Pacific Division. Send Winnipeg to the West and Nashville to the East (just my opinion).

This could work....

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Pacific Divison

- Vancouver

- Seattle

- San Jose

- Los Angeles

- Anaheim

Midwest Division

- Calgary

- Edmonton

- Colorado

- Winnipeg

- Minnesota

Central Division

- Chicago

- Cloumbus

- Detroit

- St. Louis

- Dallas

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Northeast Division

- Montreal

- Toronto

- Ottawa

- Buffalo

- Boston

Atlantic Division

- New Jersey

- NY Rangers

- NY Islanders

- Philadelphia

- Pittsburgh

Southeast Division

- Washington

- Nashville

- Carolina

- Tampa Bay

- Florida

• 1 month later...

There won't be a hurry to find a team until construction completes. Maybe by that time the Jamieson Group can exercise their 'out' clause and move PHX. I simply cannot see the Oilers there. It would be a hugh embarassment to the league.

I wouldn't write off expansion or the relocation of Florida, Nashville and NJD.

• 3 months later...

Seattle hockey arena has green seats for fans, no seats for players

Prospective Seattle sports owner Chris Hansen is building an arena in the Emerald City, and he wants to bring both the NBA and the NHL to said arena. They have a website and pictures and everything. It's pretty exciting stuff. Hansen shared some drawings Thursday of what the arena would look like with an ice sheet, and it makes me want to drool.

As with most NBA/NHL buildings we have designed the seats behind the backboard/goal to retract backwards and the first few rows of courtside seating can be removed to accommodate hockey's larger playing surface and dasher board. The net result puts hockey fans even closer to the action, including our pocket suites. Given the size of the playing surface and speed of the game, we also think the Sonic Rings will prove to be one of the most unique and valued viewing experiences in the game.

Those "Sonic Rings" are really awesome. Basically, they've taken the upper level on either end and have turned it into balconies. Apparently all standing room. You can see what they look like from the on-court level during a basketball game in this rendering. Imagine that standing over an opposing goalie. Has an NCAA feel.

The steepness of the entire seating bowl is the best feature. Not only would that lead to amazing sightlines, it would make the place extremely loud. It's only a rendering, but even looking at the view of an empty hockey arena, I can imagine this being one of the best in-arena experiences in the NHL, assuming those "pocket suites" along the ice level aren't overpriced to hell.

That said, let's take one more peek. Maybe they should've consulted with a hockey person before putting these together? Zamboni doors, benches, blue lines, locker room tunnels ... ah, hell, minor details. The place is expected to seat around 17,500 for hockey.

HockeyView_MainConcourse-sm.jpg

HockeyView_SonicLevel3-sm.jpg

Hockey Anyone?

We also just wanted to take this opportunity to share a couple pictures for all the diehard hockey fans out there of what this building will look like for an NHL game. The bottom line is as good as this is for basketball, it is an even better building for hockey.

As can be seen in the pictures above, as with most NBA/NHL buildings we have designed the seats behind the backboard/goal to retract backwards and the first few rows of courtside seating can be removed to accommodate hockey's larger playing surface and dasher board. The net result puts hockey fans even closer to the action, including our pocket suites. Given the size of the playing surface and speed of the game, we also think the Sonic Rings will prove to be one of the most unique and valued viewing experiences in the game.

While I know there may have been a few skeptics out there, I have to say I am just as pumped as most of you to see the return of professional hockey to Seattle, and honestly can't wait to see this building bursting at the seams with crazed Seattle hockey fans.

— Chris Hansen

Archived