197 replies to this topic

#31 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:39 AM

I am the only one who thinks that Seattle Totems sounds weird for a hockey team?

Yep...
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#32 Lups

Lups

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,536 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:39 AM

? this is about seattle....

I know that. What I meant was that if they relocate I hope they choose Seattle and not a Canadian city. Sorry for not making that clearer

Germany-2014-World-Cup-Final-Champions-W

#33 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:47 AM

Yep...

It just doesnt have the same.. Idk smoothness and pizazz like "Vancouver Canucks" or "Montreal Canadians" or "New York Rangers" or something..

There was the Old Seattle Americans

http://t2.gstatic.co...wOkJNgHu33iNXXL

zackass.png

#34 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:02 AM

I am the only one who thinks that Seattle Totems sounds weird for a hockey team?

When I first heard the name a few years back, I thought the same. But with the team's rich history back in the WHL, the rivalry with the WHL Vancouver Canucks, the two attempts to bring the Totems to the NHL, and time itself allowing me to appreciate the name, it just has to be the Totems.

Listen to this play-by-play call by Portland Trailblazers legend, Bill Schonely, before he left the Totems broadcast team to become an NBA broadcasting legend.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#35 JoeyBats

JoeyBats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:29 AM

SEATTLE METROPOLITANS

Posted ImagePosted Image

Your stupid
Your dum

#36 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:35 AM

Seattle Slappers
Seattle Northwesterners
Seattle Space Needles
Seattle Starbucks
Seattle Sky
Seattle Slapshot
Seattle Stormwatch
Seattle Seafarers
Seattle Outlets
Seattle Air
Seattle Snohomish
Seattle Aquamarine
Seattle Tulips
Seattle Sleepless
Seattle Rainmen

Edited by David Booth, 16 February 2012 - 02:41 AM.

Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#37 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:35 AM

#hereComeTheTotems #instantRivalry #isItPhoenix #cross-borderClassic

#usinghashtagsoutsideoftwitterisgay #stopusinghashtags #shutupwiththehashtags

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#38 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

YES

This would be too sick. So many roadtrips. I'm thinking 3 in1 Canucks, Mariners, Seahawks roadtrip in September.

Sign me up for Seattle Metropolitans.

#39 Tru_Knyte

Tru_Knyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,355 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

Sweeet, if it happened someone should organize bus trips for fans down.
Posted Image

#40 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,975 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

http://www.king5.com...-139407008.html

Source: New Seattle arena news conference set for Thursday

Posted Image

by CHRIS DANIELS / KING 5 NewsBio | Email | Follow: @ChrisDaniels5
Posted on February 15, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Updated today at 8:13 AM

Gallery

SEE ALL 3 PHOTOS »

SEATTLE - A news conference is scheduled on Thursday to announce the framework of a new sports entertainment complex in Seattle SoDo neighborhood.

KING 5 has learned Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn, King County Executive Dow Constantine, and hedge fund manager Chris Hansen are still working to finalize a term sheet. A high ranking county leader says right now, the deal includes substantial private financing, with some debt backed in some way by the City and County, repaid through admission fees and “arena generating revenue.”

The final terms are expected to be hammered out Thursday morning, and some council members were expecting a briefing prior to the announcement, scheduled for 2 p.m. at City Hall.

[Watch the news conference live on KING5.com.]

As KING5 first reported back in December, Hansen’s Valiant Partners of San Francisco purchased a three acre piece of property south of Safeco Field, for $21 Million. A city hall source with knowledge of the negotiations said late Wednesday that the city would not have to claim eminent domain and Hansen likely secured more property.

It’s unclear who will appear at the press conference. Late Wednesday, sources were conflicted about whether Hansen would show. Constantine, and McGinn are both expected to be in attendance.

The term sheet would still need council approval. Hansen met with three council members on Wednesday: Tim Burgess, Bruce Harrell and Council President Sally Clark.

Burgess told KING 5 there was no discussion about terms and conditions, but Hansen, a Seattle native, talked fondly about the 1979 Sonics championship and how he loved the game. Burgess described the chat as “general, friendly and warm.”

Clark told KING 5 Hansen said he figured it was time to show his face and did not mention a specific franchise for the proposal.

Councilmember Mike O’Brien said Wednesday, “I'd love to see it if it makes sense.” O'Brien added that it was his understanding there would be little to no public involvement in the financing, and “the only way a deal will be successful is if it doesn't include additional taxes on city, or leave the city holding the bag.”

The speculation will naturally turn to potential franchises to fill the building. The NBA has given Sacramento until the end of the month to come up with a financing plan or face potential relocation of the Kings. The NBA also owns the New Orleans Hornets, and is looking for a buyer.

The NHL’s Phoenix Coyotes are also owned by the NHL, which rescued the team from bankruptcy court. The league says it needs a new local buyer by the end of this season or the Coyotes could relocate.

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly, who told KING 5 last year about a group interested bringing a team to the city, declined comment via e-mail Wednesday night. NBA spokesperson Tim Frank did the same.

If Seattle gets a new sports arena, what do you think it should be called? Comment on our Facebook page.

KING 5's Linda Brill contributed to this report.

#41 Bleed Blue and Green

Bleed Blue and Green

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:22 AM

I just discovered the official 1966-67 Seattle Totems championship documentary online, produced by King Screen Productions, via this Seattle Totems online museum webpage. It looks like the Totems and Canucks have some unfinished playoff business to take care of.

5:14 of the video:

It won't embed because its uploader set it to unlisted status. You can see it from the museum site, which has some other neat tidbits as well.

http://www.seattleto...pions_1967.html

And the 1970-71 team photo:

Posted Image

So awesome. Thank you for posting this! :)

DeeCanucksBlog7_zps935c66c6.jpg

#42 Bleed Blue and Green

Bleed Blue and Green

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

I just discovered the official 1966-67 Seattle Totems championship documentary online, produced by King Screen Productions, via this Seattle Totems online museum webpage. It looks like the Totems and Canucks have some unfinished playoff business to take care of.

5:14 of the video:

It won't embed because its uploader set it to unlisted status. You can see it from the museum site, which has some other neat tidbits as well.

http://www.seattleto...pions_1967.html

And the 1970-71 team photo:

Posted Image

So awesome. Thank you for posting this! :)

#43 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,975 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

I am not going to get my hopes up just yet, but this is a really exciting development.

Expansion in Seattle + Quebec for 2015 would be the smartest decision from a league revenue position.

Phoenix should be moving to Portland in my opinion.

I'd be fine with that as well, then it would even out the conferences for a new realignment, plus it would provide an expansion draft, so teams could drop their albatross contracts, and it might help with the CBA.

#44 terrible.dee

terrible.dee

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

I doubt they move the Coyotes. That market is crucial geographically to the NHL, which is why Bettman won't give it up.

My money is on a final expansion in a year or two, Seattle west, Quebec East, 32 teams

#45 Starfruits

Starfruits

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

I think Thunderbirds sound better as a team's name for Seattle than Totems. The name totems sound like bunch of pylons on the ice... <_<;;

#46 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,321 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

Canucks fans would fill 75% of the building when the Canucks play.

Subbancopy.jpg

#47 cantor2537

cantor2537

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

Somehow I think a new NHL team in Seattle would almost be like a second team in the Vancouver area, kinda like how there are 3 teams in the NY region or 2 teams in the LA region.

Given that the combined population of Metro Van and Greater Seattle is probably like 6 million people (and this isn't including Victoria), two NHL teams could more than work.

#48 Bleed Blue and Green

Bleed Blue and Green

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

Can we watch the news conference anywhere?

#49 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,975 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

http://www.king5.com...-116248999.html

#50 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,975 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

Official, NHL and NBA arena proposal

public investment will be repaid through rent payments and gate revenue. city will own arena and land.

#51 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,975 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

no official announcements on teams moving or expansion, etc. as this is the city's announcement, not hansen's announcement. but hansen would not have pushed forth this proposal without being close. building will not be built until tennant is secured though.

#52 SergioMomesso

SergioMomesso

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

Aquillini will have some competition
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:5584]

#53 SJSUCanuck

SJSUCanuck

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

I live in Olympia, and considering that the Seattle Arena deal is contingent 100% on the Seattle NHL team playing 2 years at Key Arena, this deal is dead. It won't happen.

Key Arena seats 10,500 for hockey. 17k+ for NBA. (You can thank the owners of the Sonics in the early 90's for that, as they made sure that Key was completely unsuitable for the NHL) Now ... consider the following...

MTS's tiny capacity was a "huge" problem for the future of the Jets.
Quebec is projected to lose 20 million a year playing at 15k colisee Pepsi while waiting for New Colisee to be finished.

Key Arena holds 2/3rds what MTS and Colisee Pepsi hold.

Chris Hansen (the Arena project lead and potential NBA owner) will not buy an NHL team as well. You think an NHL owner is going to willingly lose more than 20 million dollars a year AND pay rent to Key Arena and then pay rent to the new Arena's owners?

There's no guaranteed revenue stream for a Seattle NHL owner.

Its a toxic combination. It won't happen.

#54 RK17Forever

RK17Forever

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:23 PM

If this goes through we can call Seattle...Vanattle! Or Seacouver!

#55 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,975 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

I live in Olympia, and considering that the Seattle Arena deal is contingent 100% on the Seattle NHL team playing 2 years at Key Arena, this deal is dead. It won't happen.

Key Arena seats 10,500 for hockey. 17k+ for NBA. (You can thank the owners of the Sonics in the early 90's for that, as they made sure that Key was completely unsuitable for the NHL) Now ... consider the following...

MTS's tiny capacity was a "huge" problem for the future of the Jets.
Quebec is projected to lose 20 million a year playing at 15k colisee Pepsi while waiting for New Colisee to be finished.

Key Arena holds 2/3rds what MTS and Colisee Pepsi hold.

Chris Hansen (the Arena project lead and potential NBA owner) will not buy an NHL team as well. You think an NHL owner is going to willingly lose more than 20 million dollars a year AND pay rent to Key Arena and then pay rent to the new Arena's owners?

There's no guaranteed revenue stream for a Seattle NHL owner.

Its a toxic combination. It won't happen.

it's not contingent on a team playing in key arena at all, for any amount of time. it's contingent on a tennant being secured (whether it's nba or NHL or both). All they need is a tennant to say they will move here.

Edited by avelanch, 16 February 2012 - 04:30 PM.

#56 SJSUCanuck

SJSUCanuck

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

it's not contingent on a team playing in key arena at all, for any amount of time. it's contingent on a tennant being secured (whether it's nba or NHL or both). All they need is a tennant to say they will move here.

The press conference and tweets from the Seattle Sports Media say that both NBA and NHL teams must play at Key Arena while waiting for the new arena to be built.

https://twitter.com/...266744395530241
"#Seattlearena deal contingent on TWO teams being acquired...and that they play temporarily at Key Arena."

https://twitter.com/#!/mattpitman/status/170270882005131265
"This is the big one: Proposal contingent on securing both NBA - AND - NHL team. BOTH required to play @ Key Arena until new arena is built."

Edited by SJSUCanuck, 16 February 2012 - 04:43 PM.

#57 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,975 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

i watched the press conference live, all they said is that the key arena is available as an option for a team to play in if they want to move before the arena is built. twitter has a character limit that reduces clarity. unless i missed that part, which would be a pretty big part to miss (and the king 5 story mentions nothing about the key arena http://www.king5.com...-139474283.html).

I would imagine an NHL expansion team would not be required to move into the key for 2 years while the anrena is built, as that would just be stupid.

Edited by avelanch, 16 February 2012 - 05:35 PM.

#58 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

It looks like McCaw might not be the future owner of the Seattle franchise after all. The Levin group has expressed their interest in working with Hansen, and nothing seems concrete yet.

Edited by WeatherWise, 16 February 2012 - 05:33 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#59 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,975 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

It looks like McCaw might not be the future owner of the Seattle franchise after all. The Levin group has expressed their interest in working with Hansen, and nothing seems concrete yet.

if levin truely is the nhl partner, he apparently has no qualms with using the key as a temporary arena.
From Feb 7th:
http://www.king5.com...-138899044.html

Is KeyArena key to arena proposal?

by CHRIS DANIELS / KING 5 News
Posted on February 7, 2012 at 4:53 PM
Updated Tuesday, Feb 7 at 5:25 PM

Elected officials to outline plan for new Seattle arena
SEATTLE – Sources close to the ongoing arena negotiations suggest the future of KeyArena is a vital component of any deal.

The City-owned building, on the Seattle Center grounds, would stand to lose significant business if a new arena is constructed in either Seattle or Bellevue, and city leaders are carefully weighing that factor.

That’s part of the reason why negotiations have included potentially using the Key as a temporary home for an NBA or NHL franchise, or both, while a new arena is built.

But it is unclear whether the NHL, or prospective hockey owner, would allow a team to use the building, which was renovated for the NBA’s Sonics in the mid-1990’s.

“I think it could work. It could be a good temporary building,” says Don Levin, who has been mentioned as a potential Seattle NHL Owner. But he acknowledges the challenges, “There are only 9,000 non-obstructed seats. Everything else is obstructed view. I’m not sure you sell them for much.” Key Arena seats just over 11,000 for Hockey.

The NHL’s Phoenix Coyotes, which the league says could relocate after the end of the season, rank last in league attendance at 11,685 a game.

Levin says he has not talked to the league about the Coyotes. He also says hasn’t talked with a proposed Seattle Arena investment group, led by San Francisco Hedge Fund manager Christopher Hansen. He admits meeting with Bellevue leaders last year.

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly was quoted by La Presse of Canada in late January as saying "Seattle, like Quebec, amphitheatres (have) to be built. Existing infrastructure - the Coliseum and the Key Arena, which served as home to the SuperSonics basketball club before being relocated to Oklahoma City, could serve as temporary solutions.”

However, Daly told KING5 this week, “We would have to look at it. We haven’t done that yet.”

Tacoma Mayor Marilyn Strickland says a city feasibility study on the Tacoma Dome was delayed. Strickland says the city’s ongoing budget negotiations helped to push her timetable back. She had been pushing the possibility of renovating the Tacoma Dome for an NBA or NHL franchise.

Strickland adds, that even as a temporary use facility, the city would have to add an ice sheet and equipment to make it work for an NHL franchise.

The Mayor says Tacoma has not been asked to hold dates at the Dome for sports franchise this fall.

A Source familiar with Key Arena bookings, says facility leaders have also not been asked to block out dates.

#60 SJSUCanuck

SJSUCanuck

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

if levin truely is the nhl partner, he apparently has no qualms with using the key as a temporary arena.
From Feb 7th:
http://www.king5.com...-138899044.html

Key Arena for hockey has 9,000 unobstructed view seats, and 2500 obstructed view seats. An NHL owner is going to lose 40 million dollars over two years at least, on top of w/e he paid for the team and a relocation fee or whatever.

I want it to happen. I just don't see it happening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.