The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Breaking News: Press Conference Scheduled in Seattle to Announce Arena Deal

CanuckRow

Somehow I think a new NHL team in Seattle would almost be like a second team in the Vancouver area, kinda like how there are 3 teams in the NY region or 2 teams in the LA region.

Given that the combined population of Metro Van and Greater Seattle is probably like 6 million people (and this isn't including Victoria), two NHL teams could more than work.

no official announcements on teams moving or expansion, etc. as this is the city's announcement, not hansen's announcement. but hansen would not have pushed forth this proposal without being close. building will not be built until tennant is secured though.

I live in Olympia, and considering that the Seattle Arena deal is contingent 100% on the Seattle NHL team playing 2 years at Key Arena, this deal is dead. It won't happen.

Key Arena seats 10,500 for hockey. 17k+ for NBA. (You can thank the owners of the Sonics in the early 90's for that, as they made sure that Key was completely unsuitable for the NHL) Now ... consider the following...

MTS's tiny capacity was a "huge" problem for the future of the Jets.

Quebec is projected to lose 20 million a year playing at 15k colisee Pepsi while waiting for New Colisee to be finished.

Key Arena holds 2/3rds what MTS and Colisee Pepsi hold.

Chris Hansen (the Arena project lead and potential NBA owner) will not buy an NHL team as well. You think an NHL owner is going to willingly lose more than 20 million dollars a year AND pay rent to Key Arena and then pay rent to the new Arena's owners?

There's no guaranteed revenue stream for a Seattle NHL owner.

Its a toxic combination. It won't happen.

I live in Olympia, and considering that the Seattle Arena deal is contingent 100% on the Seattle NHL team playing 2 years at Key Arena, this deal is dead. It won't happen.

Key Arena seats 10,500 for hockey. 17k+ for NBA. (You can thank the owners of the Sonics in the early 90's for that, as they made sure that Key was completely unsuitable for the NHL) Now ... consider the following...

MTS's tiny capacity was a "huge" problem for the future of the Jets.

Quebec is projected to lose 20 million a year playing at 15k colisee Pepsi while waiting for New Colisee to be finished.

Key Arena holds 2/3rds what MTS and Colisee Pepsi hold.

Chris Hansen (the Arena project lead and potential NBA owner) will not buy an NHL team as well. You think an NHL owner is going to willingly lose more than 20 million dollars a year AND pay rent to Key Arena and then pay rent to the new Arena's owners?

There's no guaranteed revenue stream for a Seattle NHL owner.

Its a toxic combination. It won't happen.

i watched the press conference live, all they said is that the key arena is available as an option for a team to play in if they want to move before the arena is built. twitter has a character limit that reduces clarity. unless i missed that part, which would be a pretty big part to miss (and the king 5 story mentions nothing about the key arena http://www.king5.com/news/cities/seattle/Arena-deal-would-involve-200M-in-public-financing-139474283.html).

I would imagine an NHL expansion team would not be required to move into the key for 2 years while the anrena is built, as that would just be stupid.

Archived