Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Breaking News: Press Conference Scheduled in Seattle to Announce Arena Deal

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
197 replies to this topic

#181 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,067 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

Absolutely love that idea for the Pacific Division. Send Winnipeg to the West and Nashville to the East (just my opinion).

This could work....

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Pacific Divison
- Vancouver
- Seattle
- San Jose
- Los Angeles
- Anaheim

Midwest Division
- Calgary
- Edmonton
- Colorado
- Winnipeg
- Minnesota

Central Division
- Chicago
- Cloumbus
- Detroit
- St. Louis
- Dallas

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Northeast Division
- Montreal
- Toronto
- Ottawa
- Buffalo
- Boston

Atlantic Division
- New Jersey
- NY Rangers
- NY Islanders
- Philadelphia
- Pittsburgh

Southeast Division
- Washington
- Nashville
- Carolina
- Tampa Bay
- Florida

I like your mix a lot. Detroit wanted back into the Eastern Conference but I don't see that happening. The regional appeal works for most except I suspect Boston. They won't want to play in Canada so much. I think the Bruins have more pull than Detroit at NHL HO.

#182 Twilight Sparkle

Twilight Sparkle

Lizardshifting Shape

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,180 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

seattle oilers. book it.

291euxi.jpg

Praise Smooze, eat pizza!

#183 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

lol, i wish.

#184 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

Sodo arena plans and concept drawings.
Posted Image
http://www.seattle.g...gendaID4178.pdf

Edited by avelanch, 28 November 2012 - 08:27 AM.

#185 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,067 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

There won't be a hurry to find a team until construction completes. Maybe by that time the Jamieson Group can exercise their 'out' clause and move PHX. I simply cannot see the Oilers there. It would be a hugh embarassment to the league.

I wouldn't write off expansion or the relocation of Florida, Nashville and NJD.

#186 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

Seattle hockey arena has green seats for fans, no seats for players

Prospective Seattle sports owner Chris Hansen is building an arena in the Emerald City, and he wants to bring both the NBA and the NHL to said arena. They have a website and pictures and everything. It's pretty exciting stuff. Hansen shared some drawings Thursday of what the arena would look like with an ice sheet, and it makes me want to drool.

As with most NBA/NHL buildings we have designed the seats behind the backboard/goal to retract backwards and the first few rows of courtside seating can be removed to accommodate hockey's larger playing surface and dasher board. The net result puts hockey fans even closer to the action, including our pocket suites. Given the size of the playing surface and speed of the game, we also think the Sonic Rings will prove to be one of the most unique and valued viewing experiences in the game.

Those "Sonic Rings" are really awesome. Basically, they've taken the upper level on either end and have turned it into balconies. Apparently all standing room. You can see what they look like from the on-court level during a basketball game in this rendering. Imagine that standing over an opposing goalie. Has an NCAA feel.

The steepness of the entire seating bowl is the best feature. Not only would that lead to amazing sightlines, it would make the place extremely loud. It's only a rendering, but even looking at the view of an empty hockey arena, I can imagine this being one of the best in-arena experiences in the NHL, assuming those "pocket suites" along the ice level aren't overpriced to hell.
That said, let's take one more peek. Maybe they should've consulted with a hockey person before putting these together? Zamboni doors, benches, blue lines, locker room tunnels ... ah, hell, minor details. The place is expected to seat around 17,500 for hockey.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hockey Anyone?

We also just wanted to take this opportunity to share a couple pictures for all the diehard hockey fans out there of what this building will look like for an NHL game. The bottom line is as good as this is for basketball, it is an even better building for hockey.
As can be seen in the pictures above, as with most NBA/NHL buildings we have designed the seats behind the backboard/goal to retract backwards and the first few rows of courtside seating can be removed to accommodate hockey's larger playing surface and dasher board. The net result puts hockey fans even closer to the action, including our pocket suites. Given the size of the playing surface and speed of the game, we also think the Sonic Rings will prove to be one of the most unique and valued viewing experiences in the game.

While I know there may have been a few skeptics out there, I have to say I am just as pumped as most of you to see the return of professional hockey to Seattle, and honestly can't wait to see this building bursting at the seams with crazed Seattle hockey fans.

— Chris Hansen

Edited by nuckin_futz, 14 March 2013 - 03:47 PM.

#187 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,848 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

Those are.. interesting pictures. The fact that the building looks like it's ready for a hockey game yet doesn't have anywhere for the players and coaching staff to be baffles me. How do they clean the ice? Zambonis? Locker rooms?

I'm at a loss after looking at those.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#188 JJC

JJC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

I'd be super duper jelly if they got an NBA team

COLTSTRONG

Posted Image

d d d d d d ddd d d d d d ddddddddd-Formally known as Jay Jay Sea

#189 Starfruits

Starfruits

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

Those are.. interesting pictures. The fact that the building looks like it's ready for a hockey game yet doesn't have anywhere for the players and coaching staff to be baffles me. How do they clean the ice? Zambonis? Locker rooms?

I'm at a loss after looking at those.

This is just a 3D render what it would look like.... I'm sure it will be added into it..

Those Green seats look awesome... Likely the team will be also green! I wish the Rogers Arena change their seats to blue, right now it look like the Millionaires colour...

Edited by Shachihoko, 14 March 2013 - 10:16 PM.

#190 Rivera

Rivera

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

I'd be super duper jelly if they got an NBA team

They got one. The Sacremento Kings are gna move there and change their name to the SuperSonics.

#191 terrible.dee

terrible.dee

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

damn , i want an NBA team :(

No thanks,

Been there, done that

Was NOT a good experience for the players OR this this city

#192 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,848 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

This is just a 3D render what it would look like.... I'm sure it will be added into it..

Those Green seats look awesome... Likely the team will be also green! I wish the Rogers Arena change their seats to blue, right now it look like the Millionaires colour...

Ahh, that makes more sense. Well, taking that into account it's a pretty solid looking building!

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#193 Specter's Vengeance

Specter's Vengeance

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

SEATTLE ST. PATRICKS!!! But seriously... Seattle is now my second favourite team even though they don't exist! Yet... :P

22481-mortal-kombat-x.jpg

#194 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

I love how Hansen straight out said "Hey, we really want a basketball team, but our designs make this arena even better for hockey.

Seattle has a team in no time. I just really hope Portland can land the Yotes. I want 3 teams in the pacific northwest.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#195 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:12 AM

The Zambonis are going to be hung from the ceiling, suspended by a giant mechanical arm that will reach down and drop/lift them. The Zamboni drivers shall board the Zamboni from the catwalk along the ceiling and then ride it down to the ice, then back up when they finish, and rappel down safely. It will become the most efficient method for cleaning the ice ever.

It will change everything.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#196 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

Preliminary arena designs have been approved.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#197 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

April 12, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Judge dismisses lawsuit against proposed Sodo arena
Posted by Lynn Thompson

A King County judge this morning dismissed a lawsuit aimed at blocking construction of a new arena in Sodo.
Superior Court Judge Laura Middaugh determined that there are too many unknowns to the proposed arena deal to rule now. Investor Chris Hansen is leading a group that wants to build the arena with the hopes of bringing an NBA basketball team and possibly an NHL hockey team to Seattle.
The suit, filed in January, alleged the arrangement, which calls for $200 million in public money to be repaid through arena revenue, violates the terms of Initiative 91. The measure, overwhelmingly approved by Seattle voters in 2006, said the city must make a profit on any investment in a sports facility.
The plan, the lawsuit says, “lacks fair value” because most of the sums to be repaid represent unsecured future cash revenue or interest repayment that is not allowed under the initiative.
“We think there is a massive shortfall in fair value because you can’t count the unsecured future cash,” said Seattle attorney Cleveland Stockmeyer, who filed the suit on behalf of Mark Baerwaldt, a drafter and sponsor of I-91, and three other Seattle residents labeled respectively as a taxpayer, a Sounder train conductor and a railroad switchman who serves as a United Transportation Union leader.
Middaugh said this morning the city’s agreements with Hansen to build the arena are not yet finalized.
She said the city must still complete an environmental review and final documents. Only when the final terms are known can the court determine whether the agreement meets the terms of I-91, Middaugh said.
“We agree with Judge Middaugh’s ruling that the I-91 lawsuit brought against the City and the County is not ripe,” Mayor Mike McGinn said in a statement. “The City and County are in the middle of following the decision-making path laid out by the [memorandum of understanding], and not until the end of that path will the Councils decide whether to go forward with public financing for the proposal.”
“This ruling is yet another in a long line of affirmations that the city and county are doing things right in the effort to bring the Sonics home,” added Metropolitan King County Executive Dow Constantine.

http://blogs.seattle...sed-sodo-arena/

just another step in the process of Seattle getting a NHL team, things are looking up.

#198 Belsy91

Belsy91

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

this would be great! if the Canucks are out or dont make playoffs in years to come we have another team to cheer for.

TWINS HUNT FOR 1000

9177.png= GP.1010- G.193- A.649 = 842 PTS

9152.png= GP.979- G.307- A.498 = 805 PTS

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.