The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Report/Speculation] The Official Rick Nash Thread (Keep it all here please)

Poeple need to stop speculating nash being traded to the canucks will not happen and dont want it to happen, now im not saying hes not talented and wouldnt make the canucks better but canucks dont have the cap and now obviously they can make room magically but why give up our future by winning the cup for one year when with the team we have and the future in the young players we have could get us more then just one cup, I dont really understand why we would want to trade schnieder anyways he will be a top goalie in another couple seasons, making this trade just does not make sence to me anyways

Katie Strang tweets Nash to NYR unlikely. Howson wants too much. Speculating roster player (Dubinsky, Del Zotto), prospect and pick, if not more.

Sharks, TO (of course, lol) still in mix. Apparently. SJ is in the west.

I'm surprised Nash to Pittsburgh hasn't been discussed. Pretty sure Sid being on LTIR for the bulk of the season affords them a lot of room. But who would they have to give up is the real question. They don't have a lot of extra bodies. Cheers.

TOML

"RICK NASH WOULD MAKE VANCOUVER CANUCKS STANLEY CUP FAVORITES"

Vancouver Canucks are a Stanley Cup contender as currently constructed, but they have the opportunity to become the Miami Heat of the NHL.

The Columbus Blue Jackets are dangling forward Rick Nash to the largest bidder and the Canucks are one of the teams interested according to ESPN’s Alvin Chang.

The big news to set this all up is that Keith Ballard is being placed on the long-term injured reserve list and his $4.2 million is off the books. It’s a clear sign the team plans on using this money to improve the team before Monday’s 3:00 p.m. trade deadline.

There is no doubt they could use another forward to add some much needed depth for the grueling postseason schedule. Chang reports that the Canucks are one of the few teams on Nash’s list of teams he’s willing to accept a trade to and it’s pretty easy to understand why. Vancouver is in the driver’s seat for the top seed in the Western Conference. The Canucks (87) have over double the amount of points Columbus currently has (43).

Sure the Canucks aren’t the only team looking to snag Nash, but as the deadline inches closer more teams are backing out. Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reported that the New York Rangers are officially out of the running.

Nash, 27, may only have 20 goals and 22 assists in what has been considered a down year for the two-time 40-goal scorer, but he is still a very productive player and can put Vancouver over the top.

Right now the team ranks third in goals per game (3.1), sixth in goals against (2.3) and has the second best power play percentage (21.6). They can potentially win the title without Nash. That’s what happens when you employ the Sedin twins.

But as the Boston Bruins showed us last year, there still is room for improvement. The window to win the Stanley Cup is only open for so long, now is the time to capture it.

The last thing fans want is to be thinking about what could have been after another painful playoff defeat without Nash.

Pull the trigger, Vancouver.

(To me it will cost Vancouver too damn much to consider this trade and it could hurt them in the long run).

Go Canucks Go :canucks:

Cheers :canucks:

I think MG has already decided to pull the trigger, it's just a matter of seeing the process through till the end. Columbus has to go through their process, but Schneider, whom we must assume is on the table, is one of the only young goalies who is a legit #1. This gives MG a huge advantage, unless a team like Nashville puts Lindback on the table or Boston Rask. I don't expect Hodgson to be a part of the deal. MG will know what his best offer is, and with Schneider on the table, it will be difficult for Columbus to say no, because they get their goalie.

HockeyBeat update:

Update 7:05pm: The Leafs situation hasn’t really changed since last night, they are not willing to include Jake Gardiner in any deal for Nash which has become a huge stumbling block in the negotiations even after Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson made it clear he is after forwards. The Leafs don’t feel like the price in assets plus the cap hit they are taking on is worth it considering the other options they have and their current playoff situation.

I am sure a lot of you are wondering what is going on with the Rick Nash situation in Columbus. After a pretty frantic night of tracking down rumours and keeping everyone updated here, there hasn’t been much news today.

I have just received a small update about the Rangers involvement in the Nash sweepstakes that I have been waiting on since last night. It looks like the Rangers are somewhat falling back as they have set their offer for Nash and have not increased it since. This could be a situation where the Rangers are just no longer interested or that they have completely gauged this whole mess correctly and have realized that they may be the only real game in town.

Columbus is very limited in what they can demand at this point, they have very few teams to negotiate with and are at a point where it looks like they have to trade Nash by the deadline or risk losing value. The Rangers are clearly on the list of teams he will accept a trade to and have put forth what they think is a very fair offer and now are just playing the waiting game while the Blue Jackets scramble to try to maximize value in a trade where they have very little leverage.

I still have a few calls in to get some more information on the whole situation and will continue to update this post throughout the night as I find out more.

Archived