The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Government accused of voting fraud

Darkstar

I'm a bit amazed at the lack of interest being shown on CDC to this scandal. This is a HUGE story and only going to get bigger. This is an accusation of election fraud and should be taken very seriously. If the Cons had a minority today this would definitely topple the government. Harper can breathe easy and play hardball back because he has 3 years for this story to fade away. But will it? What does Quebec think of Pierre Poutine and his hijacking of the election in swing ridings in ONtario?

I'm a bit amazed at the lack of interest being shown on CDC to this scandal. This is a HUGE story and only going to get bigger. This is an accusation of election fraud and should be taken very seriously. If the Cons had a minority today this would definitely topple the government. Harper can breathe easy and play hardball back because he has 3 years for this story to fade away. But will it? What does Quebec think of Pierre Poutine and his hijacking of the election in swing ridings in ONtario?

The outcome of this kind of RCMP probe will change the face of our politcal parties. If innocent the Conservatives will look better in the public eye than they have in along long time. Guilty and they dont get re elected.

Misleading B.C. election call traced to Conservative Party

Woman got repeated calls for donations then was told of polling place change

CBC News

Posted: Mar 1, 2012 5:59 PM PT

Last Updated: Mar 1, 2012 11:55 PM PT

Read 211comments211

A Mission, B.C., woman says she was given misleading information by the Conservative Party a few days before the May 2011 federal election.

Astrid Dimond said she had been called six times for Conservative donations during the last election. After a seventh call, she said she did an internet search on the caller’s phone number, which had shown up on her call display.

"It came up as the Conservative Party in Victoria," Dimond said.

The next time she received a call from the same number, she told the caller she was supporting the NDP in the election in the hopes the calls would stop.

Two days before the election, Dimond said she got another call from the same number.

“[The caller] just said, ‘Did you know the polling station had changed,’ and basically, I said, ‘No it hasn't,’ and that was the end of the conversation. I wouldn't let her continue because I knew it was a falsehood."

Dimond said some of her neighbours were getting similar calls and they all knew the information was wrong.

Complained to Elections Canada

Dimond said she sent a complaint to Elections Canada about the aggressive and ultimately misleading calling.

In an email response to Dimond, the federal agency said that, "no issue of compliance or enforcement arises.”

However, the agency also suggested it was already aware that misleading or nuisance calls were being made.

"Your complaint will also be considered in context with a broader inquiry ongoing with regard to irritating calls that have been occurred during this general election campaign," Elections Canada said.

The "robocalls" issue has dominated House of Commons question period for most of this week.

The riding in which Dimond lives — Pitt Meadows-Maple Ridge-Mission — has been held by Conservative Randy Kamp since 2004.

CBC News has been told about suspicious calls in nine B.C. ridings:

• Burnaby-Douglas.

• Burnaby-New Westminster.

• New Westminster-Coquitlam.

• North Vancouver.

• Pitt Meadows-Maple Ridge-Mission.

• Prince George-Peace River.

• Saanich-Gulf Islands.

• Vancouver Quadra.

• Vancouver South.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/03/01/bc-suspicious-election-calls-dimond.html

Have the Cons said anything besides "if Liberal party has evidence, why hasn't it been handed over to Elections Canada?", followed by "We have handed evidence over, and we're asking why the Conservative party has not released their documents", followed by "if Liberal party has evidence..." and round and round it went at least five times. That was from a Parliament session I watched the other day. Reminded me of grade 8-9, when the funniest joke got the most applause and laughs.

I can't understand how it takes 9 months for a scandal like this to break. It's not like these are secret proceedings: the scandal involves thousands of calls made to the public geared towards getting them to go to the wrong location on election day. Why was this not a news story a day or two after the election?

Elections Canada not doing its job: Democracy Watch

Investigations kept secret

Elections Canada is failing in its mandate to thwart electoral scams and publicly hold fraudsters to account, the Ottawa-based advocacy group Democracy Watch said Tuesday, as the robocall scandal continued to shake the Harper government's majority mandate.

"Here we are 144 years since Canada became a socalled democracy and no one can tell whether Elections Canada is enforcing the federal election law fairly and properly because it has kept secret its investigations and rulings on more than 2,280 complaints since 2004," said spokesman Tyler Sommers.

The Harper government scrambled to keep pace with the burgeoning scandal during Tuesday's question period, after Postmedia News and the Ottawa Citizen unveiled new details of the election calls that had been routed through a Tory-linked firm.

A total of 1,334 complaints were filed with Elections Canada in the 2004, 2006, and 2008 federal elections, according to the agency's post-poll reports. Concerning the 2011 election alone, however, Elections Canada received 1,872 complaints about accessibility problems, 2,956 emails complaining of voting rule confusion in the Guelph area, and 1,003 complaints about other issues.

Among the activities flagged by Elections Canada in the 2011 election are "unsolicited telephone calls," "automated telephone messages" and "crank calls." Elections Canada provided no particulars on how it responded to these acts, or whether anyone has been investigated.

Citing the Sentencing Digest, Democracy Watch says only 10 Canadians have been convicted of electoral crimes since 2004, which they call a "dangerously weak enforcement record."

Elections Canada has received 30 separate complaints from voters regarding misleading phone calls during the 2011 election telling them the location of their polling station had changed, according to Global News - which indicates the misleading calls were widespread. The information is contained in a 371-page document from the agency that includes all complaints received during the 2011 election campaign.

The robocall scandal is becoming so serious, says former chief electoral officer Jean-Pierre Kingsley, that some Tory MPs could be thrown from office and made to contest their closely contested seats in by-elections.

Kingsley said judges might crack down on any attempts at voter suppression - even to the extent of imposing jail sentences, a punishment that hasn't been meted out in Canada in more than 100 years. He said the right to vote is sacrosanct, and that judges may consider expanding the maximum penalty of a $5,000 fine and five years' imprisonment for violating it.

"Since we're attacking constitutional rights of individual electors, the judge could easily be convinced to consider seriously imposing a jail sentence," he said. "We've never seen anything on this scale."

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Elections+Canada+doing+Democracy+Watch/6226467/story.html#ixzz1nykbQSMy

LOL at Harper's fail in accusing the Liberals of something that makes zero sense.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/03/02/tory-robocalls-counterattack-backfires-as-elections-canada-confirms-31000-complaints/

Also, the two Prime Contacts have no connection whatsoever. The Canadian one is Prime Contact Group and the American one is Prime Contact Inc.

I like the top comment on this story from the right wing National Post.

I keep trying to point out to people the difference between the old Progressive Conservatives and these western based reformers who are in control now. The PCs would never have resorted to this. The PCs did not think the end justified whatever the means; that doing God’s work made it okay. The PCs were not anti-science or anti-intellectual. The PCs took advice from criminologists, and scientists and economists and other people who actually knew what they were talking about. They didn’t think that government should be concerned about your personal life any more than it should be in your pocket book. But these guys are something altogether different. And yes religion does motivate most of what they do. I live in Alberta, I know these guys. And I am telling you they are unreasoned, one dimensional, negligently simplistic and, in many cases, just plain crazy. They are going to do some serious damage to this country before they are done. We need a revolution within the conservatives to get rid of this element and put us back on track with sensible reasoned government with sound and deeply considered (not populist, not religious, not “on the face of it sounds...

I can't understand how it takes 9 months for a scandal like this to break. It's not like these are secret proceedings: the scandal involves thousands of calls made to the public geared towards getting them to go to the wrong location on election day. Why was this not a news story a day or two after the election?

1. I am a bit worried that without the media posting this everywhere, this might have gone completely unnoticed

and

2. I am happy to see the amount of engagement people are starting to have on an issue once it is brought to their attention

1. I am a bit worried that without the media posting this everywhere, this might have gone completely unnoticed

and

2. I am happy to see the amount of engagement people are starting to have on an issue once it is brought to their attention

The CBC seems to be covering it amply. The Vancouver Sun has finally caught on a day late, and it's only several items down from the top.

Foreign media needs to catch on, and embarrass our government on an international stage.

OK, since people vote with a secret ballot, how do they find out you are a Liberal voter? I never tell people who I vote for so how did the Conservatives find out that you are a Liberal voter?

This so called scandal does not make sense at all. It is a bogus scandal.

If they make the robo-calls randomly, they would catch some Conservative voters. But yet it is only Liberals who complain.

Archived