The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Naming my son Kesler?

MrCanucks-17

I'm from Seattle and love the Canucks. Of course my favirote player is from the USA, Ryan Kesler. So my wife and I just found out were having a boy around July 4th. Ryan Kesler is my top male role model for his passion, determination, and back checking. What do you all think of naming my son Kesler? I love it, my wife not so much. Just looking for feedback here, and hopefully some ammunition I can use on my wife :) Also, yes I have already though of Bieksa as a first name (LoL)

Mr Canucks #17

We named our 2nd son linden. Our first born is Colin so they both have "Lin".. We were gonna name him linden alexandre as per burrows my husband's favorite player. But it was too long. So we changed his middle name and kept linden. It is a more common name than kesler.

Bus as for the advice, make sure that ur wife is happy about it or else it's gonna be a messy fight

I'm from Seattle and love the Canucks. Of course my favirote player is from the USA, Ryan Kesler. So my wife and I just found out were having a boy around July 4th. Ryan Kesler is my top male role model for his passion, determination, and back checking. What do you all think of naming my son Kesler? I love it, my wife not so much. Just looking for feedback here, and hopefully some ammunition I can use on my wife :) Also, yes I have already though of Bieksa as a first name (LoL) Mr Canucks #17

Firstly, as hopefully you realise, the surname should always influence the christian name. There has got to be harmony. Secondly if you have a heritage i.e. you are off Scottish, Irish, French......whatever I would always go for a name that carries the heritage on.

Kesler (there are a few versions I think) is German unless I am mistaken. So if your ancestry is German, fine, if you must.

Other than that I find Kesler an ugly first name and certainly not one I would saddle my son with. In 10 -15 years I doubt if it will have much if any of the charisma you imagine it has. Your son has it for the rest of his life.

Can I make a suggestion? Change YOUR name to Kesler and give your son a break by giving him a family name.

How about you name him Ryan...?

would-be parents treating their children as their own adolescent billboards...

This makes no sense. Billboard for what? You have to come up with a name for a child somehow and it's not like they're suggesting something absurd...it's a good name. Your statement is a little harsh.

And Nosaj: what some aren't grasping is that the instant your child arrives the name becomes about them and nothing else. So even if the hockey player that inspired the name is completely irrelevant at a certain point, once your child has the name, it becomes filled with adoration, love and connected to the child. The source no longer matters and regret won't likely enter the picture.

Bodee, seriously? No. I doubt anyone restricts themselves with the guidelines you've presented. You pick a name you like for your child, end of story. Or at least everyone I've ever known has done that.

Since you live in Seattle, I think it's fine for a first name. Kesler by itself is a realistic sounding first name. If you were in Vancouver, I think it would raise a little too much attention. And who knows, things can change a lot in 10 years. Makes me wonder if anyone named their kids Pavel or Bure back in the 90's.

Archived