The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Naming my son Kesler?

MrCanucks-17

I'm from Seattle and love the Canucks. Of course my favirote player is from the USA, Ryan Kesler. So my wife and I just found out were having a boy around July 4th. Ryan Kesler is my top male role model for his passion, determination, and back checking. What do you all think of naming my son Kesler? I love it, my wife not so much. Just looking for feedback here, and hopefully some ammunition I can use on my wife :) Also, yes I have already though of Bieksa as a first name (LoL)

Mr Canucks #17

lol, imagine explaining to every single teacher, sub, boss and person who reads his nametage... "Well yes, its spelled "Satan", but it's pronounced Sha-tan. (I'd like you to meet my boss, Luis Schiffer)

When we told my mother in law what my wife and I (both) wanted to call my son, she said "How nice, but isn't naming him after a theologian uncommon nowadays?".

We told her "Nope, he's named after a (stuffed-tiger-carrying) comic strip character named after a Protestant Theologian."

He has so lived up to his name.

The only way it could be worse would be to have named him "Taz"

Its your kid, name it what you like and who cares what anyone else thinks... screw them all if they dont like it. Personally, I wouldn't name him Kesler, maybe Ryan... but this is between you and your wife and has nothing to do with anyone else. But remember, your wife will have to call the child by whatever name you two pick so dont pick something she hates or you might regret it after.

To those saying it's "too much"....when you have a child any name you give them immediately becomes "theirs", despite how you arrive at it. It's given to the child out of love and thoughtfulness, so unless it's something ridiculous it really won't be about "sports" down the road.

Kesler is a great name and not some silly name that, without explanation, won't make sense. Every name originates somewhere, so it's kind if neat if there's a bit of a story behind the name.

My daughter was a mix between Trevor Linden and the Bionic Woman (shut up) - Lindsay (Wagner). Doesn't matter now because it's hers.

I was named after a tug boat (peanut gallery is now open)....but the fact that my Father was out on the water (the place that he loved the most) and saw a boat with a name he liked makes it special to me.

My Mom did, however, apparently draw the line with my brother's name (Dad's favourite sports hero had been Nub Beamer).

Archived