The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Cody Hodgson to Buffalo

Guest AriGold

Like many others, I was shocked when it was announced. I still am. I my opinion, this was a trade that shouldn't have been made. But now that it's done, it's time to look forward.

*No doubt Hodgson could end up making a a big impact instantly in Buffalo, and do so for years to come. Lucky him. He would have done it here too it he could have gotten the ice time. Would you guys rather have seen Kesler or Hank go? He would have been a 3rd line center for 2-3 more years here. It's similar to what Schneider has been doing for 2 years now. And everyone everywhere thinks he deserves a starting job too.

*Kassian is a big of an unknown to me personally, but what I know is that he has potential and isn't quite there yet. But he can most likely be positioned on the wing on about any line here. Most likely 2-3 line atm. Doubt Gillis would trade Cody for a 4th line RW. To me he doesn't look that stupid, and I don't think he is either.

*Most of you think M-A Gragnani was a throw-in in the deal, but is he? Someone posted that he wont fit with AV and that he's terrible and unreliable in his own zone and so on. Mind you, his +/- was the best on the team at the time of the trade. Only one with double digits in that category (+10). Probably hasn't played against the top lines or in the 1st pairing there, but I don't think we can expect him to fill a role like that. And he won't need to. Depending on how he fares during the spring, he could easily fill a spot left open during the summer. With Salo's possible retirement and Ballard probably on his way out then, he has a good shot at it. Poor-mans Ehrhoff or some cliche like that.

*Påhlsson looks to me like a good depth player and can really provide us with toughness in our own end and fill in at the bottom-6. But me thinks we have that kinda players in Malhotra, Lapierre and Hansen already. So I'm not overly excited about this one. Time will tell.

Good post.

I totally agree that it wasn't about Raymond vs. Hodgson, but the thing that bothers most people is that Kassian is unproven and is thus a gamble. Many speculate that this guy can be the type of player we want him to be, but can we expect that NOW? (ie. within the next 3 months turns from a 27 game player to a wrecking force force in the playoffs). I can only hope so. Furthermore, although our team is still near the tops of scoring, Kesler's offense has dropped dramatically but was offset by what hodgson brought. Can we replace that now? Although we have guys like Schroeder who seems able to step in soon, we never know until it's proven at the NHL level (perfect example is Mancari who tears it up in the AHL but can't stick with a big team). We couldv'e addressed our needs for size a grit via vetern wingers who may have cost us a 1st rounder, or schroeder etc......

As I see it, we got two very good prospects for one excellent prospect.

On Hockey's Future, Hodgson is ranked 7.5B, Kassian 7.5C and Gragnani 7.0B.

On that ranking system: Hodgson should be a strong, second line centre, Kassian should be a second line winger but may be a bottom-6 grinder and Gragnani should be a middle-pairing defenseman.

If Kassian reaches his potential sooner rather than later, the deal will benefit the Canucks, as Hodgson isn't going to crack our top-6 anytime soon unless he plays out of position. The question then becomes: could Gillis have gotten a better deal? Could he have gotten a stud D prospect? I'd love to know the other offers for Hodgson.

And I think Gragnani is a lot more than a throw-in. His Hockey's Future ranking suggests that. And the fact he earned the award for top defenseman in the AHL last year is impressive. If he is struggling this year, he's certainly not the first young defenseman to struggle in their rookie season. Give him some time with MacTavish, and then later some time with Bowness & co, and we may well have significantly improved our depth at D. This also gives Gillis flexibility to dump Ballard's contract in the summer if he wants to take on salary.

Anyhow, I'm still very surprised by the trade - especially the timing (could it not have been done at the draft?) - and wonder whether Cody asked for a trade.

EDIT: Gragnani had 7 points in 7 playoff games last year for the Sabres. Yes, it was against Flyers goaltending. But still...

Since stepping off the ledge I'm slowly starting to come around on this trade.

Kassian has every indication of becoming a Lucic/Bertuzzi type. I'm not expecting him to produce like Bert did in his prime, but 60-70 points would be fine with the other things he brings.

I'm also thinking about the plan Gillis has for the summer. Gillis is a very forward thinking GM so I expect he knows what he wants to do. If he acquires Connolly or Johansen for Schneider then I really like the looks of the team going forward.

Interesting, Kassian will step right into Hodgson's old jersey. Pahlsson wears #26, MAG #5.

https://twitter.com/#!/sportsnetmurph/status/174533419005509633

Mike Gillis is going to live or die from this trade. I am not sure really what to make of this because it kind of goes against what he said earlier in the season about trading away his good young players and Cody was definitely one of them. You don't trade a player that is coming into his own and with limited ice time as well. Cody is also having a season worthy of Calder trophy attention. it doesn't make sense considering what we got back. I understand Kassian was highly touted in his draft year with his size and skill but he is lightyears behind Hodgson in pure skill and hockey sense. This reeks of Cam Neely all over again....giving up on an amazing talent too early. Buffalo is lucky to have got Hodgson and they know it! Watch, I wouldn't be surprised if he scores in his first game with them. We're all going to feel sick to our stomachs watching another player of ours flourish somewhere else...and he will I have no doubt. The only way it can make sense is if Hodgson wanted out, then I guess I could live with it but I still feel we could have got more for him. Even if he wanted a trade, couldn't it have waited until the offseason??? If Cody wanted a trade, I think Gillis should come out and say it so that he doesn't look like a retard because he's not looking to good right now. He should, and probably does, feel nervous about his job now. This could blow up in his face in a real hurry if Hodgson takes over in Buffalo like we think he will. I think Gillis will want to hit an absolute home run this summer when Schneider is most likely dealt just to make up for this disaster of a deal. He is gonna ask for the world for Schneider and hopefully, someone (Columbus?) will pay it. What he does with our goaltending situation this summer will dictate his future as GM of the Vancouver Canucks. Either he does it right or he does it wrong but my point is that it will be his last chance to get it right or he's gone pure and simple.

I don t think Cody wanted a trade. I sensed he was pretty upset when he was doing his interview on Sportsnet yesterday. He was giving positive reasons for the move, but you could see it in his face. I d be pissed too if I went from Stanley Cup contender to a struggling team thats not gonna even make the playoffs. The only upside for him is that he s gonna be getting top 2 center position. Hope he succeeds. He s a good kid and I wish him the best.

That being said, I like what we got back. Zach Kassian is a destroyer with a scoring touch. Speculation is that he ll start on the 3rd or 4th line and work his way up. I feel MG eventually wants to see him next to Kesler and Booth. If we get that kind of prduction out of him along with his aggressive nature I think this tradr will have been well worth it.

Also we get a defensive minded defenseman that we sorely need for depth on the blue line. Marc Andre Gragnani is definately an upgrade on Sulzer.

i would have prefered we made a package with schroeder and over payed a bit

a package including: SChroeder, 1st round pick, sweatt, rodin, raymond, connaunton even!

Heres my theory, Kesler is our 2nd center hes a shooter not a passer. Converting hodgson or kesler to the wing would not have been that hard to do. kesler needs a playmaker to get the puck to him, Sorry but booth doesnt fit that description neither does raymond or higgins.

I think we could have made Hodgson fit in the tope 6 next season. Let him get one full year on the 3rd line and give him some decent time in the playoffs to show us all that he can come up big in the clutch just like hes shown during big games this season.

But, whats done is done, I would have liked MG and AV to have given him a true shot to show his stuff and as he progressed reward him with some more icetime.

Hope he thrives in Buffalo, they are getting a real player, and as some said I think Hodgson is very similar to Giroux!! They both have a good shot and can score goals and very good play making skills.

Even if Kassian turns out good, I think we will always wonder what Hodgson could have done here, especially with a young guy like Jensen joining the club in the next couple years

Best of luck to Cody

As I see it, we got two very good prospects for one excellent prospect.

On Hockey's Future, Hodgson is ranked 7.5B, Kassian 7.5C and Gragnani 7.0B.

On that ranking system: Hodgson should be a strong, second line centre, Kassian should be a second line winger but may be a bottom-6 grinder and Gragnani should be a middle-pairing defenseman.

If Kassian reaches his potential sooner rather than later, the deal will benefit the Canucks, as Hodgson isn't going to crack our top-6 anytime soon unless he plays out of position. The question then becomes: could Gillis have gotten a better deal? Could he have gotten a stud D prospect? I'd love to know the other offers for Hodgson.

And I think Gragnani is a lot more than a throw-in. His Hockey's Future ranking suggests that. And the fact he earned the award for top defenseman in the AHL last year is impressive. If he is struggling this year, he's certainly not the first young defenseman to struggle in their rookie season. Give him some time with MacTavish, and then later some time with Bowness & co, and we may well have significantly improved our depth at D. This also gives Gillis flexibility to dump Ballard's contract in the summer if he wants to take on salary.

Anyhow, I'm still very surprised by the trade - especially the timing (could it not have been done at the draft?) - and wonder whether Cody asked for a trade.

EDIT: Gragnani had 7 points in 7 playoff games last year for the Sabres. Yes, it was against Flyers goaltending. But still...

All that glitters isn't gold. Rusty Olesz is ranked an 8...if only he were a 7.5 ...

I'm guessing GMMG is leaning to replace CH with a good young centre as the cornerstone of any trade when/if he moves Cory in the off season. Like many here I was shocked but after reflection with Cory as a massive trading chip in the off season I see him replacing CH.

I wasn't happy when I heard of this trade. I think Nucks lost scoring depth on the 3rd line that will come to back to bite them in the end. I can't see how adding Kassian is an improvement over Hodgson for "this year". Nucks lost in the finals cuz they couldn't score. I would have been happier if the trade was in the off-season. I would have been jumping for joy if it was for Myers instead.

But what's done is done.

So where will Kassian play? On 3rd or 4th line? I can't see him beating out Booth or Higgins on the 2nd line or Burrows on the 1st for that matter. And where will Raymond and Hansen play?

Heres my theory, Kesler is our 2nd center hes a shooter not a passer. Converting hodgson or kesler to the wing would not have been that hard to do. kesler needs a playmaker to get the puck to him, Sorry but booth doesnt fit that description neither does raymond or higgins.

It never ceases to amaze me how people think they know what our players need more than our Adams-winning coach.

Hodgson was tried at the 2nd line wing, but it didn't work too well. It could have been chemistry, but I also think that a lot of his success had to do with being protected.

When Cody is an unknown entity on the 3rd line, playing against weaker defensemen, he shines. But when the spotlight and shutdown guys are paying attention to him, he's not been nearly as successful. Case in point: after winning the rookie of the month and getting all of that attention, he had only 3 points in February. It's not like Nugent-Hopkins, who has been fighting through top defensemen all year.

When Cody was a top-line center in the AHL, he didn't exactly light it up either. I think his ceiling is a good 2nd line center. And as for right now, I actually don't think replacing him with Pahlsson will be a downgrade for these playoffs. Sami may produce less offence, but he'll make up for it defensively.

Gragnani is a big upgrade on Sulzer, too. Still don't know what Kassian will bring us this year, but I am excited to see how he'll pan out.

I'm guessing GMMG is leaning to replace CH with a good young centre as the cornerstone of any trade when/if he moves Cory in the off season. Like many here I was shocked but after reflection with Cory as a massive trading chip in the off season I see him replacing CH.

That's a valid theory.

But I think it only makes sense if this trade - and the trade for Pahlsson - make us better right away. Otherwise, why not keep Cody and then trade Schneider for mean guy and a defenseman in the off-season?

So who is going to run our 2nd unit powerplay?

That's Gragnani's specialty.

I look forward to having him teeing up K-Con in a couple of years. As for now, he proved he can get it done on the big stage last year, with 7 points in 7 playoff games. That's 7 times more than what Cody has done in 12 playoff games.

I totally agree that it wasn't about Raymond vs. Hodgson, but the thing that bothers most people is that Kassian is unproven and is thus a gamble. Many speculate that this guy can be the type of player we want him to be, but can we expect that NOW? (ie. within the next 3 months turns from a 27 game player to a wrecking force force in the playoffs). I can only hope so. Furthermore, although our team is still near the tops of scoring, Kesler's offense has dropped dramatically but was offset by what hodgson brought. Can we replace that now? Although we have guys like Schroeder who seems able to step in soon, we never know until it's proven at the NHL level (perfect example is Mancari who tears it up in the AHL but can't stick with a big team). We couldv'e addressed our needs for size a grit via vetern wingers who may have cost us a 1st rounder, or schroeder etc......

Yes I feel the same way, that's what is puzzling about this trade.

The way I see it, management must believe one or a combination of these things:

- more offense will be created by taking pressure off Kesler to shutdown top players

- AV was not prepared to use Hodgson much in the playoffs anyway

- Kassian and/or Gragnani is able to play a role they want now

- Hodgson/Hodgson's Parents/Agent wanted out of Vancouver

Since stepping off the ledge I'm slowly starting to come around on this trade.

Kassian has every indication of becoming a Lucic/Bertuzzi type.  I'm not expecting him to produce like Bert did in his prime, but 60-70 points would be fine with the other things he brings.  

I'm also thinking about the plan Gillis has for the summer.  Gillis is a very forward thinking GM so I expect he knows what he wants to do.  If he acquires Connolly or Johansen for Schneider then I really like the looks of the team going forward.

Interesting, Kassian will step right into Hodgson's old jersey.  Pahlsson wears #26, MAG #5.

https://twitter.com/...533419005509633

So on what line will Kassian be playing on? Is he taking Burrows, Raymond or Hansen spot?

I'm thinking of Tampa Bay since Yzerman is so high on Schnieder. Maybe for Connolly? Throw in draft picks/prospects from either side to balance the trade.

Archived