The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Cody Hodgson to Buffalo

Guest AriGold

That's Gragnani's specialty.

I look forward to having him teeing up K-Con in a couple of years. As for now, he proved he can get it done on the big stage last year, with 7 points in 7 playoff games. That's 7 times more than what Cody has done in 12 playoff games.

Gragnani is a D-man Cody is a Center. So you are saying that you are playing Gragnani at Center?

The only solace I can find is that mostly everything MG has touched has turned to gold.  From christian ehrhoff, booth mikael samuelsson higgins maxim lapierre.  All great pickups.  I  wish his track record in bringing power forwards was as good.  I just hope theres a method to this madness.

Mention of Ehrhoff made me realize something...

Hasn't all the negative talk of Gragnani's defensive game sounded EXACTLY like what the San Jose fans were saying about "Errorhoff"???

Gragnani is a D-man Cody is a Center. So you are saying that you are playing Gragnani at Center?

So you are saying that only a center can "run" a powerplay?

There are numerous set-ups. Defensemen are often put in a QB role. Naslund, a LW, ran a very successful PP from the halfboards.

Current performance matters doesn't it...

Yes, true. And I should admit that I've never seen Gragnani play (or didn't know I was watching him if I did). However, it's well established that it's more difficult for a defenseman to break into the league than for a forward. Furthermore, Gragnani's +10 rating on the struggling Sabres suggests he isn't doing poorly. And being only one year removed from earning honours as top defenseman in the AHL (and studs like NOLAN BAUMGARTNER play defense in that league) and picking up 7 points in 7 playoff games is telling. Based on those facts, it doesn't seem such a stretch that Gragnani makes it in this league.

EDIT: apparently Rob Schrempf was a 9.0B.

I differ from my friends above. This was the right move at the right time. To say we'll rely on 2 lines is missing the point completely. What did those 2 lines do for much of the playoffs? Sure, we were good enough to make it to Game 7, but we got blown out a bunch of times, and the Sedins were pushed around constantly, even going an entire series doing nothing. For right now, Hodgson doesn't help us. He's another soft player playing on a 3rd line and nobody knows how he would react in a playoff series. My guess is he'd be physically dominated. Instead you have a guy who is a monster who can bring energy, protect the Sedins, and scare the living daylights out of the other team.

Here is my take of the Trade, Canucks will drop in the Powerplay rankings to 10th, and lets hope that somebody else will pick up the 16 goals that Hodgson scored playing 12 minutes per game. Kassian, is still not a proven player and could turn out to be another Bernier. Gragnani should be a good player if AV will get over his love for Rome. Canucks will not make it out of the Western Conference this year.

Mention of Ehrhoff made me realize something...

Hasn't all the negative talk of Gragnani's defensive game sounded EXACTLY like what the San Jose fans were saying about "Errorhoff"???

That's generally the criticism of any offensive Dman who's not on an olympic roster. The question is how much more often do his gambles pay off.

Here is my take of the Trade, Canucks will drop in the Powerplay rankings to 10th, and lets hope that somebody else will pick up the 16 goals that Hodgson scored playing 12 minutes per game. Kassian, is still not a proven player and could turn out to be another Bernier. Gragnani should be a good player if AV will get over his love for Rome. Canucks will not make it out of the Western Conference this year.

We'll probably drop a couple goals against, and maybe with the reduced defensive responsibility of our second line we see a jump in productivity there. If you ask me we're a heck of a lot more difficult to play against now. We've got two great shut down lines and two great scoring lines, and added to our defensive depth in the process. We're playoff ready now.

(though ott for raymond+ would have been a sick addition to these moves)

I differ from my friends above. This was the right move at the right time. To say we'll rely on 2 lines is missing the point completely. What did those 2 lines do for much of the playoffs? Sure, we were good enough to make it to Game 7, but we got blown out a bunch of times, and the Sedins were pushed around constantly, even going an entire series doing nothing. For right now, Hodgson doesn't help us. He's another soft player playing on a 3rd line and nobody knows how he would react in a playoff series. My guess is he'd be physically dominated. Instead you have a guy who is a monster who can bring energy, protect the Sedins, and scare the living daylights out of the other team.

Though Hodgson is relatively untested in the playoffs (last year's showing counts for little, imo, as he is a totally different player this year), he has played well in big games this year. He has scored big goals against Boston, Detroit and Chicago. He also has a big game history both internationally and in the CJHL.

Yes, true. And I should admit that I've never seen Gragnani play (or didn't know I was watching him if I did). However, it's well established that it's more difficult for a defenseman to break into the league than for a forward. Furthermore, Gragnani's +10 rating on the struggling Sabres suggests he isn't doing poorly. And being only one year removed from earning honours as top defenseman in the AHL (and studs like NOLAN BAUMGARTNER play defense in that league) and picking up 7 points in 7 playoff games is telling. Based on those facts, it doesn't seem such a stretch that Gragnani makes it in this league.

EDIT: apparently Rob Schrempf was a 9.0B.

I don't like Gillis, but I like the moves he made. The Nucks are going to be really tough this spring.

Why aren't you running the show for the team then? Maybe it's because there are people in the organization that know what they are doing? No?

ya your right D money, booth kesler and raymond are all great playmakers....whenever you see them with the puck and one of them is rushing with them what happens, whoever has the puck shoots it on goal, sometimes a weak or horrible shot right at the goalies chest.

Someone with hodgsons soft hands is what was needed for our top 6, maybe not right now but next year we could have made hodgson fit their. He made some amazing passes, Id say other than the sedins he was our best player who had a great vision of the ice and the ability to find the open man, you cant teach that, its a gift

My Question still stands, because I don't think MG is that stupid and trade Hodgson for a 4th line player.

So instead of actually asking a question to be answered you were really just trying to set yourself for a chance to be all pissy... grow up or move to Buffalo if you are that sad from a player being traded.

Of course you don't throw a young guy right into the top lines right after he was traded in mid-season, at least for long stretches. Do you follow hockey at all? He needs games to learn the system that the team plays, and to get acclimatized. That doesn't mean he is going to max out as a 4th liner.

Hodgson played on both the 3rd and 4th lines in recent weeks, so trading him for a guy that will also play in those positions on this team for the near future seems about right.

If Kassian goes into one of the top two lines right away it is only because the Canucks could give a rat's rear end about winning every game between now and the end of the season and want to see how he works in various situations with different linemates.

Archived