The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Cody Hodgson to Buffalo

Guest AriGold

Fact: in the 2007 playoff run Samuel Pahlsson averaged 19+ minutes of TOI/G.

There's no way Cody could handle that this year, maybe next year or the year after.. but definitely not this year.

That is one of the things that I thought about as well. We needed someone other than Kesler to take tough shutdown minutes and Hodgson was not the man to do it. The organization felt that using Kesler in an offensive role is better than using Hodgson. I actually think Hodgson is more of the type of player that a rebuilding team needs, not a team that is going for the cup even though we all have our dreams of him playing like Linden - he wasn't going to. I am excited to see how this team plays tonight.

But, to be honest, this trade will make or break GM MG. If this doesn't pan out, the fan base will run him out of town.

That is one of the things that I thought about as well. We needed someone other than Kesler to take tough shutdown minutes and Hodgson was not the man to do it.

Yep, I agree... I posted this in another thread yesterday.

Kesler was at his best when he was freed up from most of his defensive responsibilities by a remarkable stretch of play by Malhotra. I think the lack of that this year is a major factor in Kesler's play.

He will now be able to go into games with an offense first mindset and with Booth really turning on the jets I hope to see a lot of production from those guys.

Here is my thoouughts that I had last night.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this in any of the pages. Yesterday I was thinking about the finals, and how we got man handled like little children during the 7 game series. But, I also remembered that we only scored 8 goals in the entire series. So now, if Kassian, by the playoffs can be a force with whoever he's going to be playing with and can score aleast 10-15 goals in the remaining games(which seems very unlikely,) then I'll be happy. We wanted our team to be more Detroit-like, but getting rid of Hodgson and adding Kassian, to me seems like a step back. For now though, lets see what happens in the future. We took a huge risk in getting a guy who barely cracked the Buffalo lineup, and now will be playing on the second/third line. We let Hodgson develop into who he is now, and it honestly seems that Kassian is not ready to be an NHL player yet. In Hodgson, we had a guy who is a proven NHL player, a guy who is going for 50 points this season, and a guy who is super clutch. I'm agreeing with everyone that he didn't have room to develop over here. Gillis said that if he were to trade a young player, he'd want a young player back. But why couldn't he try for someone who is a little older, a proven NHL player and little/ to some playoff performance in exchange for Hodgson.

Well CDC, that was my thought when I couldn't sleep last night. Every since watching the WJC, I've loved Kassian. Lets hope he pans out to be the player we all hope to be, and lets hope Hodgson has a great career in Buffalo. Ehrhoff said Buffalo has a great chance in winning the Stanley Cup, looks like he got one important piece to make that come true.

Yep, I agree... I posted this in another thread yesterday.

Kesler was at his best when he was freed up from most of his defensive responsibilities by a remarkable stretch of play by Malhotra. I think the lack of that this year is a major factor in Kesler's play.

He will now be able to go into games with an offense first mindset and with Booth really turning on the jets I hope to see a lot of production from those guys.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of him being a Selke winner?

It's ridiculous watching all the hysteria and paranoia from the CDC.

Lots of you wanted a big trade at the deadline.

Lots of you wanted a big, gritty and skilled forward.

Lots of you wanted more D depth.

Lots of you wanted more depth in the bottom 6.

We have that now, so what the heck are you crying about? Were you people actually expecting to get impact players by trading Raymond, Ballard and a 1st? It seems so many of you have lots of growing up to do.

QFT

Yesterday I was pretty choked we lost Hodgson, but after giving it some thought, I'm beginning to come round to this deal.

I think a lot of people who are crying about this deal haven't seen Kassian play, or don't know much about him. He has the pedigree, for sure.

13th overall pick, big body who has speed and great hands. If any of you watched him play for the Windsor Spitfire and the Peterborough Petes you know exactly what this guy can do.

Kassian shows up to games in a bad mood and can really lay the body. He has the hands and the shot and a willingness to go to the net to make him a very good power forward. Some may question his attitude or leadership qualities but he wore a letter when he played for the Petes.

All in all, Kassian makes this team a lot more dangerous to play against in a best-of-7 series. I was discussing this last night with friends and my brother and I realized that while Cody probably could give us a better chance of winning a single game, in a long, drawn-out 7-game series, Kassian is the kind of player you need to win the war. You can't rough this kid up. He friggin' TKO'd Tom Sestito. yes, Tom Sestito. That alone says something.

I'm confident that in our system Kassian and MAG can develop further and become the players we want them to be. This trade will look terrible because we've all grown to love Cody, but if you take a step back and take the emotions out of it, this trade makes a lot of sense.

Kassian can be a very versatile player for us come spring. If he plays to his full potential offensively, he can slide up and down the roster on the right wing on any given night. It's an underrated weapon for AV to be able to throw Kassian out there after a PK to crash and bang and make room for the twins. If he isn't scoring, Kassian can still provide a lot for this team. That's the biggest difference, and that's why Gillis says this trade brings balance. Kassian is a more effective bottom-6 player than Cody can be for us. Down in the trenches, Kassian can still throw hits, and if need be, throw punches. He's the kind of player that defensemen will be looking over their shoulder for every time he's on the ice. Cody surely provided this team with great depth scoring, but unfortunately if he doesn't score, he doesn't provide the team with much else.

Guys like Kassian who have the size (apparently 6'3"-6'4" and 228 lbs and still growing, holy sh*t!) and hands are a rare breed indeed. Like Gillis said, when a player like that becomes available, you jump at the chance to get him.

I think this team's scouting group has done a fine job finding players who needed a fresh start. Higgins, Lapierre, Ehrhoff are all great examples of players who nobody had on their radar but turned out to be great players for us.

Realistically, we can project Cody to be a very solid #2 centreman. He looks to be a 60-70 point guy at his ceiling, with the upside to be more. Those who have seen Kassian play and know his pedigree will know that Kassian projects to be a very solid #2 RW, or a very strong #3 crash and banger with offensive upside. I see Kassian developing into the former under our system.

If they can really get Kassian on board with the way the Canucks play the game, he can really be a physical force for us, and chip in a few timely goals.

I know that the trade looks really bad right now. Hodgson looks set to be 1st line/ 2nd line material. Having him on our 3rd line give us 3 seriously dangerous lines. However I trust that MG knows what he is doing.

Really hope this pans out.

It doesnt look good when you trade a potential calder trophy winner for a player who has trouble cracking a far more inferior team like Buffalo.

It's not that simple, really.

Compare Kassian this year to Cody last year. That's essentially where Kassian is at, on a team that has good depth on the RW. There is currently no room for Zach on the RW in Buffalo.

Wow. Now that our star rookie/point producer, Cody Hodgson has been traded... we need someone to fill his skates. 82 points in 51 games should do the trick - AKA Tanner Pearson. plus he's Canadian and played for Team Canada. the Canucks really need to consider getting Pearson for this reason also... and give him number 77 or 97.

BTW it was super disrespectful to CoHo giving Kassian the jersey number 9. we should have retired it.

It's not that simple, really. Compare Kassian this year to Cody last year. That's essentially where Kassian is at, on a team that has good depth on the RW. There is currently no room for Zach on the RW in Buffalo.

So how exactly can Kassian help Vancouver for THIS PLAYOFF RUN??? We gave up a young centre who was on pace to get 45-50pts playing 11-12 min a game and have that scoring depth for the playoffs. How many teams can boast that??? If anything...why didn't Van make this trade in the off-season?? Unless MG thinks Kassian and MAG are game changers that will win us the cup.

Bleh...

Archived