The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Cody Hodgson to Buffalo

Guest AriGold

Ok guys at this point there's no reason for us to say what could have happen...

Hodgson is gone and now we have Kassian.

Let's all cheer for Kassian and hope he turns out to be that power forward that Mike Gillis envisioned... if not... then... god bless you Kassian.... Canuck fans have eaten better men.

I highly doubt Buffalo saw him as a fringe fourth liner. He was their first round pick from just a few years ago. He was having a very successful season with their AHL team (he was taken in the same draft as Jordan Schroeder and is substantially outperforming Schroeder this year). While with the Sabres he was getting the same amount of ice time as Cody - 12-minutes per game - which is more than a fringe, fourth liner gets, but not ideal for the development of a prospect.

But he was a fringe 4th liner. He only got called up from the AHL recently to be showcased for a trade.

Screw you.

Gaustad would have aided this years cup run more, we have a PF in the making with Jensen & I'd way rather have CoHo than the first Nashville gave up for Gaustad.

Gillis told too many people what he wanted obviously; Hodgson was waaaay to much for a guy who is not yet ready for regular NHL play. And now we still have to find and develop a center to replace Hank in 2 to 3 years.

Secondarily;

Danny/Hank/Kess (now a two way line, not a lame duck offensive only line, & even more scoring potential)

Burrows/Hodgson/Booth smashing offensive 2knd line

Higgins/Pahlsson/Hansen Leagues 2knd best shut down line behind Bergeron's

Manny/Lapierre/Bitz Also a dynamite shut down line

Weise/Reinprecht

easily beats

Danny/Hank/Burrows

Raymond/Kesler/Booth

Hiigins/Pahlsson/Hansen

Manny/Lappy/Kassian

:(

Screw you? Nice one.

One thing to note is that Hodgson is relatively untested playing a top-6 role. People say he was producing despite playing only 12-minutes per game. That's true, but he was also producing while playing primarily against bottom-6 forwards and bottom-pairing defensemen.

Match-ups become more of an issue in the playoffs, when the strength of competition is greater. I doubt Hodgson is ready to be effective against the scorers, primary checkers and top-4 of Detroit or Nashville.

Hodgson vs the Zetterberg or Datsyuk line would be a scary proposition, imo.

People talking about Gragnani have obviously never seen him play. The guy has offensive flair and a pretty good PP quarterback but not at the NHL level. His play in his own end is absolutely atrocious. He looks pretty lost out there and makes some terrible decisions. He's an adventure in his own end to say the least. He's not NHL ready plain and simple. Don't use the +10 argument because that stat is very misleading.

As for people saying to wait and give Kassian time. I'm not debating he could be a good player down the road but it's a pretty big gamble. The value is not there at all. Cody is a scoring two-way centre and having a bit of a breakout year at 21. He is a star in the making plain and simple and should have netted a bit more than Kassian. I don't like the trade, and we're worse because of it today and in the future. If we win the cup last year theres no way we make this trade, but because we came one game short due to injuries and lack of SCORING and they think we need to lose skill for grit. What happened to following the detroit model? What happened to "Gillis" character type guys? They've been preaching this crap since taking the reigns and then they do this. Makes no sense and we're a worse team because of it, If you think otherwise you're just plain wrong.

Yes, because Cody was proven, right? Playing 12 games in the playoffs last year and 62 games this year was just enough to approve him to be completely trusted over here.

I feel if Sedins were able to play their games properly, they can provide enough offense in the playoffs to push us through. I also think Kassian is a guy that could enable Sedins to do that.

I know point isn't everything, but since you were going to pull that "9 points in 27 games" crap, I would like to let you know that Cody provided 1 assist in the playoffs last year. What makes you believe Cody will provide the offense in the playoffs he did in the regular season? He averaged 6 and a half minute per game last year in the playoffs and didn't even play against Boston. There are still lots of unknown for Cody too and counting on him to perform is just as risky.

Kassian was not brought in to score. I really hope you get this through to your head because I don't want you come back and complaining how Cody is providing more offense than Kassian. That would be like complaining Holmstrom can't produce more than Zetterberg.

Perhaps some day we will look back and say it would have been great if we didn't have to make this trade. I do hope that we will be able to say that it was worth it back then and I do believe Kassian gives us a better chance for us to be able to say that in the future.

I hope Kassian can be a detterent but I don't think him alone will deter other teams from mugging up the Sedins like the bruins did. The thing about the Bruins is that nobody is able to do that because they have at least 5 guys that are able to contend with any heavyweights (Chara, Mcquaid, Thornton, Lucic, and maybe Horton) and one player is not going to scare those players. Also, the "9 points in 27 games crap" as you put it, makes me not concerned with the number of points (that's not his role), but the number of games he got on the struggling, soft Sabres team. In addition, although scoring is not what we expect right away, some offensive potential does have to come eventually or else he turns into big third winger. And your point comparing Cody's performance to last year is valid, but even if they were on the same trajectory, that means that it will take until next year for Kassian to be the player we want him to be. However, none of us want "next year". We want now.

All in all, I too am hoping that Kassian becomes the tough as nails, scorer we want.

yu

By your logic, Jordan Schroeder is no more than a minor leaguer and Chris Tanev is no more than a depth defenseman. OMG, and Jensen is just an amateur!!!
Yeah you got it. I don't disagree with anything you said. Right now they are what they are. In the future they'll become more no doubt. But our window to win the cup is now. Kassian might be the next Tod Bertuzzi in a few years. How does that help us win the cup this year?

yu Yeah you got it. I don't disagree with anything you said. Right now they are what they are. In the future they'll become more no doubt. But our window to win the cup is now. Kassian might be the next Tod Bertuzzi in a few years. How does that help us win the cup this year?

I concede that your logic is valid.

But Kassian did look a lot better than a fringe 4th liner tonight. He looked like an effective bottom-6 banger with offensive upside. But we've seen a lot of players give similar first impressions (e.g. Weise, Bitz) only to be mediocre afterwards.

King Kassian despite the nerves and being a 'fringe 4th liner on a loser team' (idiots) finished the game on the 2nd line of the current 1st place team in the NHL.

Had 6 hits & a couple of beauty chances in a 2 goal game.

Just wait until he has a couple of practices & games under his belt.

BOO YEAH, this guy is a stud.

Ok guys at this point there's no reason for us to say what could have happen...

Hodgson is gone and now we have Kassian.

Let's all cheer for Kassian and hope he turns out to be that power forward that Mike Gillis envisioned... if not... then... god bless you Kassian.... Canuck fans have eaten better men.

Love the Pic dude :D I hate the leafs

King Kassian despite the nerves and being a 'fringe 4th liner on a loser team' (idiots) finished the game on the 2nd line of the current 1st place team in the NHL.

Had 6 hits & a couple of beauty chances in a 2 goal game.

Just wait until he has a couple of practices & games under his belt.

BOO YEAH, this guy is a stud.

Both Pyatt, Bernier, Torres, Weise and Bitz looked great when they first got here too. Hate to be a downer. Believe me I LOVE THE CANUCKS. Nobody wants me to be wrong more than me. but we're going to need more than 1 game to evaluate the trade maybe?

Lets give the kid some time to get adjusted to the system here. He has the raw talent as we all witnessed in tonight's game. He made a few nice plays and had a good scoring chance in his first game without a real practice with our guys yet. Imo he made a few beauty passes that kind of reminded me of Cody and how they both see the ice well. He has good vision and is pretty quick and mobile for his size. Was impressed with his performance tonight.

Both Pyatt, Bernier, Torres, Weise and Bitz looked great when they first got here too. Hate to be a downer. Believe me I LOVE THE CANUCKS. Nobody wants me to be wrong more than me. but we're going to need more than 1 game to evaluate the trade maybe?

Obviously it takes more than one game.

But anybody who thinks Zack Attack is in the same league as the above mentioned players seriously has no ability to judge a hockey player. Pyatt & Bernier never had the speed that Kassian possesses. Pyatt NEVER EVER not even pre-NHL had the grit factor. Bitz? He didn't look good or at least not better than a 4th liner. He had a couple of lucky points with the Sedins, but do you actually let that cloud your judgement when you are deciding whether a player is good or not?? Weise? Are you kidding me?

Torres is the only one with both speed and hitting ability. However, he played 3rd line from the start and had 1 point in his first 7 games. Who was tooting his horn as a future top-6 player exactly?

Anyhow, like I said, it obviously takes more than 1 game but I was stoked on what I saw from Kassian today, including his ability to make decent defensive decisions.

His play today made me feel a bit better. I kind of expected it though as MG wouldn't trade Coho for a scruby scrub. People comparing him to Bernier and Pyatt are ???? goofs. You're wrong, get over it. You've already been proven wrong. It's not a matter of time. YOU ARE WRONG.

Proof:

28 games played. 44 hits. ATOI 12 mins.

Fights:

Vs. Matt Martin (win)

Vs. Tom Sestito (win)

STOP WITH THE BERNIER AND PYATT crap.

Archived