The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Cody Hodgson to Buffalo

Guest AriGold

Will be really interesting to see how this trade affects Jordan Schroeder now that Hodgson is gone. He is the most NHL ready prospect the Canucks have in their system right now with Hodgson's departure.

He has had a good year in Chicago and should get called up in the playoffs and play some games possibly.

Gillis talked about the flexibility of the third line with the addition of Pahlsson and having Schroeder. They can have a 3rd line checking line or they can have a more skilled type third line in order to have 3 lines that can score.

It makes the lineup more flexible and gives Vigneault options. I don't think that Schroeder can play center in the NHL though because of his size.

He seems more suited to the wing. Another option the Canucks have is playing Steven Reinprecht on the third line if they want a more offensive look to it in the playoffs.

He seems more suited to the wing. Another option the Canucks have is playing Steven Reinprecht on the third line if they want a more offensive look to it in the playoffs.

Reinprecht will be up for sure in the playoffs, management pretty much made this crystal clear.

Reinprecht will be up for sure in the playoffs, management pretty much made this crystal clear.

This must have been part of what Gillis meant with flexibility. If they feel Pahlsson is not getting it done as a shutdown guy and that they need some offence from the third line to take pressure off the the top 2 lines they can easily put Reinprecht there with Higgins and Hansen.

This must have been part of what Gillis meant with flexibility. If they feel Pahlsson is not getting it done as a shutdown guy and that they need some offence from the third line to take pressure off the the top 2 lines they can easily put Reinprecht there with Higgins and Hansen.

Yeah, for sure. I haven't seen Pahlsson play since '07 really, haha. Hopefully he's somewhat of the player he was back then!

Kess is clearly not the same player he was last year. Kess looks broken down and tired. But AV keeps on driving Kess into the ground. Instead of alleviating some of the pressure that was on Kess AV refused to give Cody more ice time out of spite.

I think you are missing the forest for the trees here. Kesler looks broken down because he had no long offseason to train given the late summer due to the long Cup run and the late labrum surgery. Pahlsson's addition eases up Kesler's defensive workload, especially on the PK which will, I don't know, leave Kesler with more energy to expend on offence? Cody Hodgson's sparkling 40% faceoff rating wasn't taking any pressure off of Kesler any which way you cut it and Kesler's 51% Dzone starts with Cody on the roster prove that but now with Pahlsson? I bet Kesler jumps up to 66% Ozone starts and that means his production ought to jump up (hit the crossbar lastnight and that was a shot we saw go in a bunch of last year).

What happened to following the detroit model? What happened to "Gillis" character type guys? They've been preaching this crap since taking the reigns and then they do this. Makes no sense and we're a worse team because of it, If you think otherwise you're just plain wrong.

Gillis still is following the Detroit model: "heavy bodies" (as Babcock calls them) that can control the boards, protect & cycle the puck down low, create traffic in front and get shots through from the point with big body screening the goalie. Go look a the wingers in Detroit, they're all big bodies with skill: Franzen, Bertuzzi, Holmstrom, Cleary (plays a big game), Abdelkader, Miller, and even Zetterberg plays a big game in spite of his size. They are also all faster skaters than CoHo (save for Holmstrom).

I think you are missing the forest for the trees here.  Kesler looks broken down because he had no long offseason to train given the late summer due to the long Cup run and the late labrum surgery.  Pahlsson's addition eases up Kesler's defensive workload, especially on the PK which will, I don't know, leave Kesler with more energy to expend on offence?  Cody Hodgson's sparkling 40% faceoff rating wasn't taking any pressure off of Kesler any which way you cut it and Kesler's 51% Dzone starts with Cody on the roster prove that but now with Pahlsson?  I bet Kesler jumps up to 66% Ozone starts and that means his production ought to jump up (hit the crossbar lastnight and that was a shot we saw go in a bunch of last year).

I'm not sure how Cody Hodgson leaving the team could affect Ryan Kesler's faceoff stats. But you're right in saying we may be able to expect an offensive rejuvenation with Ryan Kesler. He doesn't have to "babysit" Hodgson anymore.

I'm not sure how Cody Hodgson leaving the team could affect Ryan Kesler's faceoff stats. But you're right in saying we may be able to expect an offensive rejuvenation with Ryan Kesler. He doesn't have to "babysit" Hodgson anymore.

Pahlsson, Malhotra & Lapierre will eat up most of Kesler's defensive faceoff duties now. That's what I meant by Cody not being able to ease Kesler's workload (AV isn't going to put out a 40% faceoff guy for defensive zone faceoffs) and hence partially why Kesler has looked so "subpar", offensively speaking, this season.

Pahlsson, Malhotra & Lapierre will eat up most of Kesler's defensive faceoff duties now. That's what I meant by Cody not being able to ease Kesler's workload (AV isn't going to put out a 40% faceoff guy for defensive zone faceoffs) and hence partially why Kesler has looked so "subpar", offensively speaking, this season.

Yep.

That is a dramatic change in the quality of the minutes that Kesler will be getting. He won't have to spend the first half of every shift trying to get through the neutral zone for a scoring chance.

Aah, now I gotcha.

Yep.

That is a dramatic change in the quality of the minutes that Kesler will be getting. He won't have to spend the first half of every shift trying to get through the neutral zone for a scoring chance.

Yep. Given Pahlsson's prowess on the PK also means there's less PK minutes for Kesler which in turn means even more energy to expend 5on5, as well.

Still a little saddened by the fact we traded him. Sure he is in the Shadows of Kesler and Henrik, however, we all know, The Sedins will not be here for ever. By the time they move on, Hodgson will be 26 or so, and thats when I was thinking he will take over the offensive role of our go to guy. 26 years old also happens to be the year the SEdins broke out. With us losing Hodgson, right now, theres very little in terms of our own up and commers. Right now its Schroeder and Jensen.

Still a little saddened by the fact we traded him. Sure he is in the Shadows of Kesler and Henrik, however, we all know, The Sedins will not be here for ever. By the time they move on, Hodgson will be 26 or so, and thats when I was thinking he will take over the offensive role of our go to guy. 26 years old also happens to be the year the SEdins broke out. With us losing Hodgson, right now, theres very little in terms of our own up and commers. Right now its Schroeder and Jensen.

and Kassian.

I'm pretty sure people will come to see this as a great trade for the organization. Where was Cody Hodgson gonna play, 3rd line his whole career? If Kassian ends up with the Sedins, that could be the most dominant line in hockey for a while.

People, understand one thing; Mike Gillis is better at running an NHL organization than you. I mean, come on.

And where are all the fans that were calling for more toughness, after watching the Sedins get bobble-headed in the playoffs?! Coward idiots.

Well Hodgson got his hat trick tonight because of finally getting the top 6 ice time that we were barricading him from (because of a clear personal vendetta by AV by the way).

His utter domination of a weak Anaheim team and their inferior opposing forwards of Getzlaf and Perry who cannot hold a candle to his skill and mental acuity... we can see that it has ruined our team to have traded Cody and he has immediately vaulted himself into the undisputed Calder winner for the year because of finally being out from under the thumb of Canucks management.

That happened right?

Well Hodgson got his hat trick tonight because of finally getting the top 6 ice time that we were barricading him from (because of a clear personal vendetta by AV by the way).

His utter domination of a weak Anaheim team and their inferior opposing forwards of Getzlaf and Perry who cannot hold a candle to his skill and mental acuity... we can see that it has ruined our team to have traded Cody and he has immediately vaulted himself into the undisputed Calder winner for the year because of finally being out from under the thumb of Canucks management.

That happened right?

He's going to win the scoring race next year.

That happened right?

I thought you were serious for a second, checked the boxscore just in case <_<

Archived