The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Cody Hodgson to Buffalo

Guest AriGold

Are people missing here that we got a guy that's a huge upgrade on Rome and Alberts that can slot in the #5 spot with a solid defensive guy like Tanev and add some puck moving ability on the back end? Kassian and Hodgson weren't the only players involved here people.

Gragnani had 7 points in 7 playoff games last year. I believe he's +12 on a mediocre at best Buffalo team. He can play.

People are also failing to realize that Kassian is a highly thought of kid that adds something we didn't have in the system; a true power forward. I was becoming a huge Hodgson fan and was about to buy a jersey but this trade adds something we didnt have while subtracting a piece that was fairly repetitive.

My 2 cents.

Where's Miller?!?!? I need his thoughts.

No, because most fans build this emotional attachment to players in a business where this stuff happens quite a bit.

Hodgson had 'unlimited' potential and for some reason they are putting a ceiling on Kassian's potential before even seeing him play except for a few 10 second clips on TSN.

Either way, it just sounds like there are a lot of pissed off fans who bought Hodgson sweaters this year haha.

I'm excited.

Think the next time I hear Gillis talk about character being the 1st quality he looks for in a player I will puke a lil in my mouth. Cody will be a future captain and was classy even in the face of not getting a lot of icetime.

Kassian on the other hand was suspended for 20 games for a cheap hit in juniors, and was charged with assault in a bar fight, and last year suspended 4 games in the AHL for intent to injure.

No, because most fans build this emotional attachment to players in a business where this stuff happens quite a bit.

Hodgson had 'unlimited' potential and for some reason they are putting a ceiling on Kassian's potential before even seeing him play except for a few 10 second clips on TSN.

Either way, it just sounds like there are a lot of pissed off fans who bought Hodgson sweaters this year haha.

I'm excited.

Nicely put. People are whiners. I hope the Canucks win it all and shut these yahoos up.

I think the point in the AHL numbers was to show that Kassian isn't as big a project as people think he is...He's illustrating this by showing you what Hodgson did at that age and that level. This doesn't mean that Kassian will necessairly be better than Hodgson at the pro level but I think that it is much to early to be judging this trade and we need to see what Kassian can do playing a few games before we judge. Personally I think that Kassian can be as good or even better than Hodgson given the right line mates and maybe some time to develop like we gave Hodgson.

I thought we would get more then this for Hodgson but I have my trust in Gillis. He knows what hes doing. Also those who doubt the trade, best way to find out is after this season and playoffs. We have to have faith in Gillis and on our newly acquired additions to the team and see how they do.

I think the point in the AHL numbers was to show that Kassian isn't as big a project as people think he is...He's illustrating this by showing you what Hodgson did at that age and that level. This doesn't mean that Kassian will necessairly be better than Hodgson at the pro level but I think that it is much to early to be judging this trade and we need to see what Kassian can do playing a few games before we judge. Personally I think that Kassian can be as good or even better than Hodgson given the right line mates and maybe some time to develop like we gave Hodgson.

Not to mention it doesn't just come down to numbers.

Right now, Kassian will have a different role than what Hodgson had....And also in the future they are 2 completely different players and the Canucks needed more of what Kassian has than what Hodgson has.

Being a vancouver fan is tough sometimes not because of these trades but the dumb reactions from fans that know nothing about anything and just enjoying typing on their computer. Get this straight, zach kassian can be a bertuzzi in his prime type of player but that will fight more. This is a big kid with good hands who wont back down from anyone and will go to the dirty areas something we desperatly need if our pp isnt clicking in the postseason.

Yes coho is a great kid, good player but everyone is selling the farm on him and im not buying it. He is achieving good numbers on the third line no question, however he isnt going up against the best d pairings or even solid 2 way centres. Has he had moments of brilliance no doubt about it. To me though getting a kassian type player is great for this franchise we needed that desperatly, now we have 2 good big men in kassian and jensen coming through, schroeder is playing really well right now and looks ready to make the jump next year so its trading an asset for an asset.

I wll be watching buffalo for the rest of the year though i really think cody is going to struggle playing against the top pairings in the east in the coming weeks, looks like he will play with vanek and pomminville, regardless if the nucks win the cup nothing else matters, period.

Sorry, but that pair will kill us in the playoffs.

Gragnani and Tanev wouldn't.

Look at Gragnani's playoff numbers from last freaking year. He's a +10 on a mediocre at best Buffalo team.

Get a clue before you speak. Playing 12 min a game w a sure defensive guy like Tanev and that's a quick, puck moving pair.

Even in the long run I can see this making a bit of sense. Pahlsson is a UFA at the end of the year, and should he choose not to re-sign, that reopens the the third line center position. Enter Jordan Schroeder.

He may not be ready for full time duty next year, but from everything I've heard and read he's been doing well in the AHL (putting up similar numbers to what Hodgson did last year) and he has a similar skill set to Hodgson. Now instead of being forced out of his natural position when he gets called up, Schroeder can hopefully center the third line next year in a similar manner as Cody did.

It still sucks that Hodgson's gone, but on the bright side Schneider is also probably getting moved at the draft for a top prospect at least (I hope anyways, I'm terrible at evaluating a player's worth so I'm not going to speculate as to what we'll get in return) so the prospect pool will remain somewhat stocked.

Basically you I guess I'm saying there really was only one spot on the roster to try and develop a young center, and even though we gave up our best one we still have one coming up. Also, Kassian is an absolute monster with a few screws loose, exactly what we needed I think. That's just my opinion though, just trying to stay optimistic and hope this all works out.

people are underestimating gragnani. he is the steal of the trade, youll see

very true, Gragnani is a highly skilled player, and he was only benched the last few games due to Buffalo wanting to deal him for whatever reason.

I have read some quotes from Buffalo fans that are more upset about losing Gragnani than Kassian, so they are high on him (the fans)

I don't like this deal at all. If Kassian is that good , he should have more than 3 goals this year.

To be fair Hodgson only had 1 Goal last year after 8 games and none in 12 playoff games albeit he played sparingly but don't just let stats tell the story ... see how he does after a few games first

shrdb.gif why gillis.... we traded a young probable top 6 center for a guy that can be the next steve bernier dT1Iz.gif1egzi.jpg

Love it...

My initial recation was pissed. I love hodgson and wish him the best in BUF. Just hope Kassian can live up to his potencial and become much like Lucic. Hope it dont hinder our chances this year.

Archived