The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Cody Hodgson to Buffalo

Guest AriGold

Gragnani and Tanev wouldn't.

Look at Gragnani's playoff numbers from last freaking year. He's a +10 on a mediocre at best Buffalo team.

Get a clue before you speak. Playing 12 min a game w a sure defensive guy like Tanev and that's a quick, puck moving pair.

On top of that Gragnani has been playing all year with Ehrhoff who is -5 or worse if I remember correctly. That really says something to me.

If Gragnani had a calm, cool & collected right-handed defenseman as a partner than I think his numbers would be even better. That's where your point about Tanev is golden/spot on.

He's played under AV before (with Lappy too) with success & all he said when he was asked about the trade was that 'happy was the only word I can think of'.

The Canucks needed two things at the deadline: grit in the top-9 and defensive depth.

They got both of those things, while plugging the only hole they made (3rd line center) with Samuel Pahlsson.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I am A HUGE Hodgson fanboy, but you gotta give to get and this isn't a bad trade, especially if Hodgson or Winter requested one.

The second I found out about this trade my initial reaction was sadness.. It's always so hard to see one of your favourite players on the team leave, especially when they were having such a best of a year. I think this trade will either break or make Mike Gillis. If Kassian pans out to be that power forward, then it'll be regarded as a good trade after all. But if his potential as a power forward squanders (like we've seen before) then it'll be Gillis' worst trade of all time.

I can only wish the best for Coho and that he flourishes in Buffalo, where the need for a centre was necessary. Everyone complaining about Kaissian not making the Buffalo team was because they're stacked on right-wings.. If you look at our bottom 6 it's, Hansen, Weise and Bitz. Kaissian will really solidify whatever line he plays for on the bottom 6 which will most likely be the 4th to begin with and will be the sandpaper everyone was begging to have. He'll be a beast if he plays with Kesler and Booth as well, there's so much potential here we just have to see how it all plays out.

I'm more disappointed than anything just to see Hodgson leave. He was just a great classy young guy who really seemed to have all the tools to be our future Captain Canuck. This trade makes much more sense however if he asked Gillis for a trade which may have been hinted, although he was in awe in his interview.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I am A HUGE Hodgson fanboy, but you gotta give to get and this isn't a bad trade, especially if Hodgson or Winter requested one.

Agreed, Hodgson said on the phone interview with TSN that he knew personally a couple of playes in Buffalo including Myers and Ennis, although he did sound pretty sad...

Gragnani and Tanev wouldn't.

Look at Gragnani's playoff numbers from last freaking year. He's a +10 on a mediocre at best Buffalo team.

Get a clue before you speak. Playing 12 min a game w a sure defensive guy like Tanev and that's a quick, puck moving pair.

I highlighted Gragnani and Ballard. Not Gragnani and Tanev.

We were fleeced, goodbye cup ! :sadno::picard: Is'nt this the same kid we just spent the last three years babying and molding into a top calder finalist, just to kick his @ss out of town ? What if they don't meet a big tough bruising team in the playoffs and instead go against a pure highly skilled and talent team ? Man their mortgaging the future for this year ?

I puked, then I couldn't believe it, then I cried, then I got angry, then I went numb, now I accept it and see the logic, BUT I really thought CH would be the next captain of the Canucks.

Fare thee well, young man, fare thee well.

PS, I wou

There is always a chance we could get him back (like Linden)

The whole talk of "Hodgson doesn't cut it as a 3rd liner always behind Kes n Hank" is such a sad argument..

Not to mention the fact that he was the heart of the second unit power play, which was going to be extremely important in the playoffs.

Not to mention the fact that he was the heart of the second unit power play, which was going to be extremely important in the playoffs.

Booth, Reinprecht, Higgins, Burrows, Kassian, Hansen, Bieksa, Hamhuis & Gragnani.

Some of those guys will make the 2nd PP unit decent. Also wouldn't surprise me if Kassian gets some PP time as the net presence for the Sedins and Reinprecht - Kesler - Booth - Gragnani - Bieksa are the 2nd unit, which isn't bad at all.

IMO I think this trade was very short sighted and failed to consider how much we need Cody in terms of scoring as well as how much a role he could have played in the future. That being said I also feel the Canucks should not have traded him given he was a proven player just comming into his own.

What made it worse for me was thinking about it.. i confused Gragnani with Kulikov and was still in shock. i mean we could have gotten much better for Hodgson. I like Kassian, but WOW we overpayed so much. What happened to looking for a partner for Ballard or Edler? a Mitchell/Allen type guy. why couldnt we just have kept our roster as it was after the Pahlsson trade that way we have 3 scoring lines and 1 pure shutdown line. i really hope this pans out for us... High risk type trade.

I cant even type straight...

It's a shame to see Cody go, but I do think its fairly obvious what happened, he just never fit in to the lineup, we are that deep. Hank and Kesler are not going any where for a while. I have to admit it is sad to see Cody go especially because he seems like such a good kid, but I beleive that if everything was to go our way, me may have just gotten a very rare big bodied, versatile player with sand. He plays a fearless game, and I think him coming up in such a classy organization will ensure that he keeps his nose clean, and plays good, two way, hard-nosed hockey. We desperatley needed a guy like this, and we finally have him.

I rote a rant in the other thread, still peeved at Gillis, but I've calmed down slightly. He essentially traded Hodgson/Sulzer for Gragnani/Kassian, they weren't separate deals. Gragnani def. isn't a throw in.

Stats about Gragnani: He's a younger Keith Ballard (also plays left side), with a MUCH cheaper contract, more offensive upside, but not willing to pay the price (doesn't hit or block shots). Gragnani is sheltered defensivly (like Ballard, he doesn't face tough competition). But as a team, Buffalo has given up more 'goals against', and scored fewer 'goals for' than Van. Yet in comparison to Ballard, Gragnani has been on the ice for fewer 'goals against', and 10 more 'goals for'. Essentially, Gillis is turfing Ballard this summer (finally) and now has a replacement.

Kassian: (UHHH, why is he here?? Where Coho??): Ok. Where does this guy fit in - he has 0 playoff experience, and few reg season game experience. I see him on the 4th line. AV wants the 3rd line as a checking line (thank goodness), and I see the 4th line as a 2nd checking line who can bump and grind.

I am an atheist, but after today let's all say a prayer that Sedins/Kesler do not get injured and can carry this team offensively in the playoffs, or Canucks are screwed. Let's also pray that no top 4 d-man (esp. on right side) get injured, or Canucks are doubly screwed. I hope Coho didn't ask for a trade :(

Archived