The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Cody Hodgson to Buffalo

Guest AriGold

I'm shocked, like many of us, but my faith in Gillis is strong. Hodgson had no where to move up to, and is not really meant to be on a third line. There's even talk of Cody asking to be moved because of this, and Gillis didn't even deny that much when asked. He simply said that what's discussed behind closed doors is private, or something to that affect. Can't help but like that fact that we got tougher as a team, and that was a factor in losing in the SCF last year. Scoring was down because we were intimidated, as no one fought for the Sedins when they got bobble-headed. And we all know we can't just hope the refs make the right call. We needed someone to fly in there and smash.

bad trade...why didn't we offer up a 1st round draft pick along with Raymond for Kassian? Makes more sense. Keep Cody & add Kassian. This Trade sucks

Unlike what most people here thinks, a combination of 1st/Raymond/Ballard can't get us anything we want.

bad trade...why didn't we offer up a 1st round draft pick along with Raymond for Kassian? Makes more sense. Keep Cody & add Kassian. This Trade sucks

Probably because Buffalo wouldnt of taken that....Kassian was drafted 13th overall and was/ is highly coveted by the Sabres and probably every other team in the NHL.

Although I thought Coho was showing signs of being a special player with the puck,I thought he was always a step behind without it.He doesnt forecheck like the rest of the players,hes just not quick enough.Do I think having Zack Kassian in the fold is a good thing?Yes.He could be a physical force that can play which is something nearly impossible to aquire.For some reason right now I dont like the fact that Cody was the piece to get tbis particular player.Secondly I hate trading with Buffallo more than any other team.

This is easily Gillis worst trade, and very easily the kind of catastrophe that could go down with the Cam Neely trade. Hodgson is already a much better playmaker than Kesler, and showing Sedin like poise with the puck, and scoring ability. With him on the team, the team could have remained an offensive powerhouse after the Sedins retired. Gillis surrendered way too much for WAY TOO LITTLE, in this trade. Massive gamble, to say the least. With this one deal Gillis has undone all the goodwill he's built up over the last 2-3 years, and alienated much of the fan base. If Cody goes on to be an all star and the Canucks don't win the West AND THE CUP this year Gillis may just have greased the skids for his own firing as well as AVs. Just a horrible, horrible day to be a Canucks fan, and one I think we will be regretting long after AV and Gillis are gone. I think any deserving hockey fan knows we lost a very special player this day.

People are entitled to their own opinions, but people need to stop assuming Gillis is an idiot because of this one trade. Do you think he didn't know what a player Cody is? He drafted him for ducks sake. And also remember that we didn't only get Kassian in this deal (although he is the piece I'm most stoked about), we've also got Gragnani, who could potentially be a very special player in his own right. He scored nearly a point a game in the AHL as a defenseman, and is a +10 on a poor Sabres defense.

Cause 1st + Raymond ust won't cut it.

:(

Looks like the Canucks are going to rely on their top two lines for scoring. This is potentially a good move for the future but this could cost the Canucks the Stanley Cup this year.

Well, you only hope our third and fourth line can score clutch goals like last year

So out of the 3 New Canucks, who will be in the line-up tomorrow?

All 3.

I'm pretty pissed off at this trade. I honestly don't understand what GMMG is thinking.

You got Schneider sitting on the God damn bench, playing a game a month. I don't care whether Luongo sucks in the playoffs, you win or lose with him, end of story. The only games Schneider will ever start are games that do not matter, games where if we lose, we're still leading in the series. Schneider is someone with far more trade value, and we could've gotten someone else with far higher upside.

I would've much rather see Schneider leave than Hodgson. A third line that can score > A goalie that starts 1 playoff game.

Hodgson was more important to this team than Schneider is. Bad move MG, bad bad move.

We didn't even address our defense. Sure, we got Gragnani, and offensive defenseman. That doesn't address our defensive problems. When Salo was injured, all hell broke loose. Our defense sucked, Edler had no idea what he was doing because he had no faith in his d-partner.

If Kesler panned out to be the 3rd line checking centre he was projected to be, Cody could have stayed. Blame Kesler for over-developing, don't blame the GM.

^This

So out of the 3 New Canucks, who will be in the line-up tomorrow?

I'd say Pahlsson and Kassian, Gordon might serve as our 13th forward.

All 3.

I'm pretty pissed off at this trade. I honestly don't understand what GMMG is thinking.

You go Schneider sitting on the God damn bench, playing a game a month. I don't care whether Luongo sucks, you win or lose with him, end of story. The only games Schneider will ever start are games that do not matter, games where if we lose, we're still leading in the series. Schneider is someone with far more trade value, and we could've gotten someone else.

I would've much rather see Schneider leave than Hodgson. A third line that can score > A goalie that starts 1 playoff game.

Hodgson was more important to this team than Schneider is. Bad move MG, bad bad move.

The Sabres don't need a goalie, and I don't think teams that needed goalies had a Kassian-type prospect.

Archived