The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Cody Hodgson to Buffalo

Guest AriGold

I think people are going to have to settle themselves that Kassian will likely be a 4th liner for the remainder of this season......though the 4th line won't have to hide, like most teams have to hide their 4th line.

Sedin Sedin Burr - don't mess with perfection

Higgins Kes Booth - the 3 S's......Speed, skill and size

Pahlsson Manny Hansen - a beautiful shutdown line

Raymond Lappy Kassian - some speed, some lip, some size and all 3 have skills....wll chip in offensively without losing on D

Reinprecht/Weise/Bitz

Hamhuis Bieksa - we know what we get

Edler Salo - same as above

Gragnani Tanev - Good puck movers, inexperienced, but both have positive playoff performances under their belts

Ballard/Rome/Alberts - not sure where Ballard slots in, but good depth, depending on opposition.

You'll never know what Dallas wanted for Steve Ott but we do know what TB wanted for Downie.

Kassian is three years younger,four inches taller,has better contract status but Downie is more proven and could've been had for a 1st rounder+throw ins.

Hodgson+Downie>>>>>>Kassian+1st round pick

Kassian will be good and fun to watch but I think Gillis blew this one like the Ballard,Bernier and Booth trades.

The Booth trade? How was that blown. Booth is way better than Sammy and Sturm. Bernier was a low risk at a 2nd round pick. Ballard hasn't really fit in, but that has a lot to do with Hamhius signing a week after the Ballard trade which wasn't a guarantee.

If you think the Booth trade was a bust, you are very misinformed.

I still can't even look at this trade with an objective view right now that I'm so biased with emotion. This kid was supposed to be groomed as our next coming of Trevor Linden and to no longer have him as a Canuck is kind of incomprehensible. I know we're also getting some size and toughness coming our way, but I think what hurts the most is the fact that, whether it was going to be with us or someone else, Hodgson was going to be a centre-piece/leader somewhere in the league and unfortunately it's not going to be with us. It should be interesting to see how this trade unfolds down the line but hopefully looking back this will be looked back as a positive trade by Gillis.

apparently we might have gotten corey perry According to Farhan Devji's post there was a trade on the table for Perry: Hodgson, Raymond, Ballard. Canucks decided not to do it after the win in Boston. Reeeeally interesting: http://www.shaheed-devji.com/other/farhansite/?p=374

If that is infact true and MG pulled off the deal. he deserve to get fired!!! D:< D:< D:<

You'll never know what Dallas wanted for Steve Ott but we do know what TB wanted for Downie.

Kassian is three years younger,four inches taller,has better contract status but Downie is more proven and could've been had for a 1st rounder+throw ins.

Hodgson+Downie>>>>>>Kassian+1st round pick

Kassian will be good and fun to watch but I think Gillis blew this one like the Ballard,Bernier and Booth trades.

I agree that Gillis is beginning to look quite mortal.

Ballard is a bust,

Booth is just a bad contract for what he brings to the team, which doesn't appear to be much more than what Higgins and Raymond bring.

Not getting equal value for Hodgson. Even if you like what Kassian brings, we lose the trade by not getting the best player involved.

Signing Marco Sturm.

Sammeul Pfalfsonn deal? What the hell? We already have 2 checking centers, both of whom are better than him.

Buffalo may have won this deal short term, and even long term. But did we get what we needed? I believe so. Are we a better team now in a 7 game series? Yes we are. What you want isn't always what you need, but sometimes we all gotta bite the bullet and see what's ahead of us.

If the Canucks manage to capture a cup this season, this will be a huge part of what a Cinderella tale it would be, from the whiplash that Gillis is receiving to the emotional toll on all the fans in Vancouver. For me, when i heard about the trade, it struck nearly as hard as that 7th game loss we suffered last season, and I'm sure it is the same for many others out there. I'm sure being the class act that he is, Cody would be cheering us on every step of the way. We have to pay respect for friends we lose along the way, but it's time to cut the tears and move on. Enjoy his amazing team that's been built before us while we all can. It's something fans in Columbus, Phoenix, and numerous other franchises out there have to wait years and maybe decades to witness.

:towel:

How many points does Kassian bring? Oh right. 7 points in 27 games played. He's not gifted as Hodgson is, offensively. But he brings "grit and sandpaper". At the end of the day, the question has to be asked "Does this make us better?" I think it makes us worse, because we have a prospect (Kassian is still a prospect, because he hasn't proven anything yet, Hodgson has this year with 16 goals, 17 assists) in our line-up. How does he handle the media attention in Van? How does he handle the expectations (both organizational, and from the fans) of him? And finally, does he live up to those expectations? He better prove something soon, beause if he hits 25-26 years old, and he's still producing something like 10 goals, and 10-15 assists, he'll be considered a bust. AND if Hodgson at that time, is producing something to the effect of 60-70 points - we've been fleeced. Gillis should be fired, and AV should have been canned a long time ago.

That's what I said about Bobby Ryan when he was taken 2nd overall. BUT...it took him about 3-4 years before he developed into the beast that he is today.

Kassian will take time; he will be subjected to Canadian media pressure (already has it as a member of Team Canada U-20 squad); he will learn from teammates about what it means to drive hard to the net. Only them will he learn how to play like a Lucic or a Bertuzzi.

Ballard is a bust,

Booth is just a bad contract for what he brings to the team, which doesn't appear to be much more than what Higgins and Raymond bring.

Not getting equal value for Hodgson. Even if you like what Kassian brings, we lose the trade by not getting the best player involved.

Signing Marco Sturm.

Sammeul Pfalfsonn deal? What the hell? We already have 2 checking centers, both of whom are better than him.

Ugh you lost me when you compared booth to raymond, one cuts to the net, one skates around the perimeter.

Ballard is a bust,

Signing Marco Sturm.

- Ballard indeed was a bust. crap happens.

- I'm willing to bet you a barrel of Maker's Mark that what you say about Booth won't be true come playoff time. He's starting to click.

- (Read the first paragraph of my last post)

- I have a feeling that Gillis signed Sturm with the intention of moving him to Florida later in the season. After all, he claimed that the Booth trade had been in the works for a very long time before it actually happened. This way the salaries going each way are still even, Florida has no problem reaching the cap floor.

- As a pure-checking center, Manny and Laps are not bette than Pahlsson. And he wins.

Archived