The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Cody Hodgson to Buffalo

Guest AriGold

umm im sorry i stopped reading when you said Cody doesn't have strong character. I realized at that moment that im debating with a moron. Sorry

Don't be sorry.

After all you must have missed the inverted commas which implies a variation. The variation was that he is quite likely to have a strong character as a person but his persona on ice does not imply that. He is not imposing, influential, dominating and in fact doesn't really show any of the characteristics of a leader. He seems on the contrary, quiet and fairly introverted.

How do you know that Hodgson will score big time goals when we need it. He's completely unproven when it matters. Maybe you are just dreaming about him being our saviour. Maybe Kassian will turn into a clutch player, you have no idea what is going to happen. Just because Hodgson scored against the Bruins doesn't make him a definitive clutch player in the playoffs. Raymond this year as just as many GWGs as Hodgson

Goals dont have to be game winners for them to be important.

Don't be sorry.

After all you must have missed the inverted commas which implies a variation. The variation was that he is quite likely to have a strong character as a person but his persona on ice does not imply that. He is not imposing, influential, dominating and in fact doesn't really show any of the characteristics of a leader. He seems on the contrary, quiet and fairly introverted.

Well AV really never gave him a chance to impose anything with his whopping 12 mins of icetime now did he. influencial, Dominating? how old do you think Cody is? 27? It's a role he would have undoubtably grown into. Was joe sakic or yzerman phisicaly imposing? using your argument they must have made lousy captains then huh. I think i'll side with the sane and repectfully disagree with you

Don't be sorry.

you just described Hank when he was 22

Mike Gillis is going to live or die from this trade. I am not sure really what to make of this because it kind of goes against what he said earlier in the season about trading away his good young players and Cody was definitely one of them. You don't trade a player that is coming into his own and with limited ice time as well. Cody is also having a season worthy of Calder trophy attention. it doesn't make sense considering what we got back. I understand Kassian was highly touted in his draft year with his size and skill but he is lightyears behind Hodgson in pure skill and hockey sense. This reeks of Cam Neely all over again....giving up on an amazing talent too early. Buffalo is lucky to have got Hodgson and they know it! Watch, I wouldn't be surprised if he scores in his first game with them. We're all going to feel sick to our stomachs watching another player of ours flourish somewhere else...and he will I have no doubt. The only way it can make sense is if Hodgson wanted out, then I guess I could live with it but I still feel we could have got more for him. Even if he wanted a trade, couldn't it have waited until the offseason??? If Cody wanted a trade, I think Gillis should come out and say it so that he doesn't look like a retard because he's not looking to good right now. He should, and probably does, feel nervous about his job now. This could blow up in his face in a real hurry if Hodgson takes over in Buffalo like we think he will. I think Gillis will want to hit an absolute home run this summer when Schneider is most likely dealt just to make up for this disaster of a deal. He is gonna ask for the world for Schneider and hopefully, someone (Columbus?) will pay it. What he does with our goaltending situation this summer will dictate his future as GM of the Vancouver Canucks. Either he does it right or he does it wrong but my point is that it will be his last chance to get it right or he's gone pure and simple.

very true, Gragnani is a highly skilled player, and he was only benched the last few games due to Buffalo wanting to deal him for whatever reason.

I have read some quotes from Buffalo fans that are more upset about losing Gragnani than Kassian, so they are high on him (the fans)

I'm not sure where you read that Sabres fans were high on Gragnani. Most I know use words like "flat out sucks" but I guess there can be differences of opinion.

I think Gragnani is a throw in. The real deal is Kassian for Hodgson. Not sure how the Canucks need another offensive D who is weak in his own zone. Ballard isn't enough?? If Gragnani ends up getting a ppg for the Canucks in the playoffs it will mean that Edler, Salo, Bieksa and Hamhuis are injured and he's anchoring the power play. And it means a first round exit!

AV is going to HATE Gragnani. He isn't even as good as Ballard and plays a similar game.

I am still gutted over this trade but will admit that we won't know if (or how badly) we lost it for a few years. But that in itself is another reason to hate the trade. We know what we had with Cody, whereas Kassian is still an unknown at the NHL level, despite the potential he clearly has. And it's not just that Cody is in contention for rookie of the year: he scored big goals for us at important times against opponents who give us trouble. He's a money player who would have been huge for us in the playoffs. In the short term, we have taken a step backwards at a time when we're poised to win it all. It's almost a rebuilding move, or one that's about redesigning the team, not one that is about putting a top team over the top. It makes me sick to recall Gillis going on about not messing with chemistry, and the need to make small but significant moves at the trade deadline instead of big mistakes. Instead he's acting like a riverboat gambler. This is not exactly a vote of confidence in a team that currently sits first overall and does make it look like the Bruins are in his head. Yes, it could work out in our favour eventually but in the next 4 months, I don't see Kassian contributing at the same level Cody has. And in the long run, Kassian does have to become another Bertuzzi for us to win the deal. Hopefully he does but until then, I'm in mourning.

A great hockey trade that makes a lot of sense. Don't expect to see Kassian matching Cody's numbers because they're two completely different type of players.

I felt last year that we could have won a lot of games in the playoffs in Sedins were allowed to play their games and were protected by another big guy. Obviously Gillis felt the same way, as it seems this guy could be used to play along Sedins for protection if the need arises. If we face a team like Boston again, then Sedins can play with Kassian and he will make rooms. Exactly the type of player I was hoping for: A big, nasty forward that can also play hockey. Well, it seems we have that guy in Kassian if he pans out right and the consensus is that he will.

I'm not sure where you read that Sabres fans were high on Gragnani. Most I know use words like "flat out sucks" but I guess there can be differences of opinion.

I think Gragnani is a throw in. The real deal is Kassian for Hodgson. Not sure how the Canucks need another offensive D who is weak in his own zone. Ballard isn't enough?? If Gragnani ends up getting a ppg for the Canucks in the playoffs it will mean that Edler, Salo, Bieksa and Hamhuis are injured and he's anchoring the power play. And it means a first round exit!

AV is going to HATE Gragnani. He isn't even as good as Ballard and plays a similar game.

t

I don't think Gragnani is that bad defensively, how would you explain his +10 when everyone else is a minus on Buffalo.

This trade has the potential to be very good or it could blow up in MG's face. Kassian could become the next Neely or the next Bernier.

IMO, Kassian is going to become a beast and Gragnani will be a good depth dman. Best of all, MG traded for 2 players who will most likely be on the team next year not a rental player.

They also didn't care as much for losing Kassian. You're talking about the Sabres fans. They're almost extinct and ones that are surviving don't know much hockey.

Hopefully the Canucks fans give Kassian some time to develop as he is barely 21 years old. But seeing how everyone wanted to trade Cody last summer for a bag of pucks and now want the moon for him, I doubt the fanbase has learnt anything about patience and player development.

I am still gutted over this trade but will admit that we won't know if (or how badly) we lost it for a few years. But that in itself is another reason to hate the trade. We know what we had with Cody, whereas Kassian is still an unknown at the NHL level, despite the potential he clearly has. And it's not just that Cody is in contention for rookie of the year: he scored big goals for us at important times against opponents who give us trouble. He's a money player who would have been huge for us in the playoffs. In the short term, we have taken a step backwards at a time when we're poised to win it all. It's almost a rebuilding move, or one that's about redesigning the team, not one that is about putting a top team over the top. It makes me sick to recall Gillis going on about not messing with chemistry, and the need to make small but significant moves at the trade deadline instead of big mistakes. Instead he's acting like a riverboat gambler. This is not exactly a vote of confidence in a team that currently sits first overall and does make it look like the Bruins are in his head. Yes, it could work out in our favour eventually but in the next 4 months, I don't see Kassian contributing at the same level Cody has. And in the long run, Kassian does have to become another Bertuzzi for us to win the deal. Hopefully he does but until then, I'm in mourning.

Trading a young guy who played a grand total of 80 games or so with the team will destroy the chemistry and is almost a rebuilding move? You don't really know what you're talking about, do you? Rebuilding move is when you trade older and experienced guys for younger players and picks. Trading a young forward with high potential for another young forward with high potential is called a hockey trade.

It's not like we traded Kesler or Burrows either. It will take some time before Kassian will get things going but the chemistry won't be affected as much as you think.

It's ridiculous watching all the hysteria and paranoia from the CDC.

Lots of you wanted a big trade at the deadline.

Lots of you wanted a big, gritty and skilled forward.

Lots of you wanted more D depth.

Lots of you wanted more depth in the bottom 6.

We have that now, so what the heck are you crying about? Were you people actually expecting to get impact players by trading Raymond, Ballard and a 1st? It seems so many of you have lots of growing up to do.

I am NOT a fan of this trade.

The rant that Hodson can't play in a third line role is ridiculous. It wouldve been more of a 2A 2B line. He gave us three lines to score and made his other players better because his of his vision. I am a huge fan of Kesler but he's just so inconsistent offensively and is very effective in a shutdown role (he was able to shut down Toews last year, but in the process forgot he was a 40 goal scorer). Also, I don't know how much better Kesler makes his wingers. His passing ability is suspect. Also, Hodson anchored that second unit powerplay and made it a threat.

How many more years can the sedins be expected be playing at the same level?????? maybe 2-3 at most....

I am totally aboard that we needed more size and grit, but we could've done that with vetern wingers that may have cost us first rounders (ie. Travis Moen, Ryan Malone, Tim Jackman). Why did we have to gamble NOW, with a kid who's played 27 games for the Sabres!!!! He can't even stick with the sabres (a known soft team) and iwth the big rematch of Sabres-Bruins, I didn't see how "mean" this guy was. A sure thing like Hodgson is supposed to net you back a Morrow, Doan type PROVEN vetern player.......

I am a HUGE fan of Gillis but he may be forevor judged by this move.

It's ridiculous watching all the hysteria and paranoia from the CDC.

Lots of you wanted a big trade at the deadline.

Lots of you wanted a big, gritty and skilled forward.

Lots of you wanted more D depth.

Lots of you wanted more depth in the bottom 6.

We have that now, so what the heck are you crying about? Were you people actually expecting to get impact players by trading Raymond, Ballard and a 1st? It seems so many of you have lots of growing up to do.

Noone wanted a huge trade that involved Hodgson. Most of us just wanted to add some vetern physical depth players.

Yes people wanted a big, skilled gritty forward BUT not someone who has played 27 games in the NHL has 9pts? and can't stick with the Sabres

Yes we wanted more D depth but from someone who is more reliable, physical Dman (last time I checked he wasn't that reliable....)

Yes we wanted more depth on the bottom 6 (and that was adressed) But not from giving up our dynamic center.

The main thing is that this guy is not proven.....and this is not the time to take on a project.

Let's face it.

Firstly, this was NEVER a Raymond or Cody deal. Raymond was hardly of interest to a team who was trading away Kassian. Buffalo wanted/needed a centre. So let's not use this as yet another reason to hate Raymond.

Also, I can't believe the hypocrites on here. All last summer we have listened to moans about how we got bumped around by physical teams.............closely followed by the bedroom GM's formulating trades, HALF of them which included Hodgson.

Along comes an opportunity to rectify the situation BIG TIME and our GM who is recognised for his astute judgement, makes it happen.

You guys are like kids. You want the other kid's toys but you don't want to give up any of your own toys. These other Clubs are not charities, set up for the Canucks benefit.

If you go back and listen or look at the transcript of Gillis's recent interview, he almost spells it out for us. Reinprecht a bigger body with proven 2-way skills was performing well in Chicago and he would be coming up for the playoffs. Schroeder was starting to look like the player we thought we had and he had started to get his head down. If Schroeder plays anything like we think he will then Cody's time would be up here sooner rather than later so MG saw the opportunity to cash in his chips while the value would bring him something we didn't have............we don't even have it in Chicago.

Kassian will not be a 4th liner, if all works out he will be put on the Sedin line when we play the tough guys to cause some damage.

We have tweaked the character of this team in a good way. We have, through the acquisition of Pahlsson and Kassian given this team 5 different faces. I see this as another MG masterstroke which will likely double our chances of winning the Cup.

Some idiot above feels he needs to take steps "for him to avoid hating Kassian." Really junior you need to grow up and hopefully catch some sense along the way. You're pathetic, what has Kassian done other than go where he was wanted.

Good post.

Absolutely love the trade. All of you whiners need to chill out and look at the positives. In the summer MG will trade Schnieder to Columbus and get Ryan Johansen as part of the return. He will be our future big skilled center. Thats my best guess.

Archived