726 replies to this topic

#571 22sedins33

22sedins33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

dont want to go back reading everything.

is it known who the other team in the East interested in Hodgson was?

I think it's safe to say no and that we never will. GMMG doesn't exactly flaunt around that kind of information and who would go out of their way to say they made a crappy offer which was rejected?
The day has only just begun and already your mind has snapped like a dry and brittle twig...

#572 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

I would be soooo insanely angry if this happened. Yeah it is 2 first rounders but TBY will not be that far down to garner any worth from those pics. Corey has been developed into a obvious NHL starter and will be that most likely in the new season....but I want a insanely developed young winger or D-man that shows ability to be on the first paring or the first line anything less would be a total waste of this teams effort and time invested into Corey. To just give away talent like that for unproven pics would be lunacy.

How about Schneider to the Flyers for Couturier a 1st round pick and Matt Read?

Edited by Hockey Playa, 01 March 2012 - 07:09 PM.

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#573 Gunner Garrison

Gunner Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

that is overrating Schneider now

#574 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

Joe Sakic scored 62 points in 70 games in his rookie season - as an 18 year-old, on the worst team in the league. This is coming off of 60/133 and 78/160 goal/point seasons in the WHL when 16 and 17, respectively. In his second year in the 'dub, as a 17 year-old, he scored 11 goals and 24 points in 10 playoff games.

Cody Hodgson never made it to 100 points in Junior, nowhere near Joe's 160 (Cody's best year came after being drafted, while Sakic joined the NHL immediately). His highest goal total in junior was 43 - 35 less than Sakic's peak. He turned 22 last month, and only had 3 points all February, playing on the top and highest scoring team in the league.

Cody Hodgson is a good young player. But he is not, and never will be, Joe Sakic.

I believe Sakic was 19 in his rookie year. I remember because he wanted to go back to junior for the benefit of his development.

just wanted to point that out, no biggie

#575 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

that is overrating Schneider now

Yeah i thought so. :bigblush:

I was thinking more along the lines of Couturier a 1st and Erik Gustafsson for Schneider would be enough in my mind.

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#576 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,354 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

I always thought we would make a trade with Buffalo. Now I just hope we don't meet up in the SCF any time soon.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#577 The Kessing Booth line

The Kessing Booth line

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

I would be thrilled with 2 firsts from tampa, thats a top 10, possibly top 5 pick, and a late 1st. So a Alex Galchenyuk, Cody Ceci, Griffin Reinhart etc. and another talented first rounder with potential. Great return.

#578 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:32 PM

'Hey guys, let's whine and talk about how stupid MG is for trading Hodgson for this Kassian guy. Coho is Cam Neely, Zack is the next Bernier - why would he ever do that? So stupid: this is not the future: we wanna win now'

....So, how's it going down there haters/non-believers? Lolololol : Hahahahaha....

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#579 Grind-Like-Lightning

Grind-Like-Lightning

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:10 AM

"He's unreal. That was an awesome game by him. It was pretty to watch and he made a lot tight, close saves that not a lot of goalies in this league can make." -- Sabres' forward Cody Hodgson on teammate Ryan Miller's 43-save shutout in Buffalo's 2-0 road win over the Anaheim Ducks.

Well OBVIOUSLY this is Hodgson insulting both Luongo and Schneider, arguing that Miller has done better in one game than they had in the entire time he played with them. What a prick, eh?
Posted Image Posted Image

#580 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:12 AM

Based on how Cody's playing in Buffalo, Sabres fans are ecstatic to have Cody on their team. Check their PGT threads for both games so far.

http://hfboards.hock...d.php?t=1124219

Well... that certainly was something.

Outside of Miller, the positive vibes I get from Hodgson's play are positively swelling right now. Another really good effort from that line but guys need to start finishing his set-ups.

All Miller in this one, Hodgson's line was great but should have more goals in this game.

I hate to put ugly on a win but Gerbe and Leino we're brutals in the 3rd, so many turnovers !!!

G-
Miller played OK tonight Posted Image
CoHo was the straw that stirred the drink on that line tonight
Sekera looked solid
Ehrhoff was mostly solid
Pominville was grinding all game

B-
Myers was not his normal self
Regehr hurt ... Yikes

U-
Sylvester ... My god, he's like spoiled milk mixed with vomit.

G: Hodgson's passing is exceptional.

I am going to expand this to: (GGBU) Great, Good, Bad and Ugly

Great:
Ryan Miller

Good:
Ennis, Hodgson and Stafford...best line for the Sabres tonight.

They're calling it the EHS line and are all reporting that it was their best line. Having watched both games, I can confirm that Hodgson made that second line tick. He took command of the puck at times and made things happen. Ennis, Hodgson and Stafford have found immediate chemistry.

http://hfboards.hock...=1120941&page=4

I'm really jumping th gun here, but if ennis and stafford continue to show chemistry with him, do we keep stafford around for another season?

Here's a really telling indication of how the Sabres are playing right now.

Good: Miller
EHS line

Bad: Everyone else

Ugly: Regehr injured, Miller dinged up.

Both teams are getting exactly what they want from their new players. Kassian has brought something new to the Canucks. Hodgson has brought something new to the Sabres. It's turning out to be a very equal trade so far, as both have really stood out in a positive way.

Edited by WeatherWise, 02 March 2012 - 12:12 AM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#581 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:19 AM

I believe Sakic was 19 in his rookie year. I remember because he wanted to go back to junior for the benefit of his development.

just wanted to point that out, no biggie

I checked his birthdate - unless I counted wrong, he was 18.
Posted Image

#582 ManUtd

ManUtd

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:20 AM

I checked his birthdate - unless I counted wrong, he was 18.

Your math is wrong. 88 (that's when his first NHL season started) - 69 (the year he was born) = 19.

rsz_avs.jpg

#583 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,197 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

In my mind, it's official. Cody or someone in his camp asked for a trade:

http://www.vancouver...3489/story.html

#584 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

Well, d'uh. (No offense to you of course)

If I couldn't sympathize with Cody for being mishandled early on (that 125gp season plus the rigorous offseason training and subsequent undetected back injury), I'd be pretty pissed with the kid. As it stands I'm able to rest easier with this now all out in the public but like I said, I sure hope Gillis didn't say no to Corey Perry after that Boston game when CoHo had 1g 1a.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#585 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,197 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

Well, d'uh. (No offense to you of course)

If I couldn't sympathize with Cody for being mishandled early on (that 125gp season plus the rigorous offseason training and subsequent undetected back injury), I'd be pretty pissed with the kid. As it stands I'm able to rest easier with this now all out in the public but like I said, I sure hope Gillis didn't say no to Corey Perry after that Boston game when CoHo had 1g 1a.

Lol. As I am a nosy person by nature, I am also happy it's all public and fans can see the truth. I have no issues with Cody either, people have to do what's best for their lives. Unfortunately, in professional sports those things can stick with players through their careers.

#586 rb4u

rb4u

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

CoHo definitely has a future in politics after he retires from hockey.

#587 16mark

16mark

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

It could have worked out. People are saying he would have always been under Hank and Kess. But Kess could have been put on the wing. Kess's speed is more suited for the wing anyways and Cody's a better passer. You really think Kess's ego is so big he wouldn't have gone to the wing for the betterment of the team? The only reason he's at center was because after Sundin left we we're weak down the middle. Kess played the wing playing with Sundin so don't tell me it couldn't have happened. Can you imagine Cody between Kess and Booth with Cody's vision and Booth and Kess driving to the net. People say we wern't tough enough? We made it game 7 of the final. And during that series the refs reintroduced the dead puck era. And that's probably why we traded for Kassian. Dont get me wrong i like Kass but what makes me want to puke is I know in my Gut Cody is going to be the next Joe Sakic. Joe wasnt the best skater but he worked on it and went on to score big goals in the biggest games. Remember Stoyanov was more highly touted that Naslund. He was picked 9 spots ahead on Nazzy in the 91 draft. I just hope Kassian works out nobody wants Kass to be the next Big Bert than me

#588 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,197 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

Ya. There's a reason why his camp initially said Cody wouldn't be available to media today, then 'suddenly' changed their minds and the main local media weren't able to get there in time.

#589 16mark

16mark

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

And I bet you JS got more than 12 mins a game. btw it was a different game back then.

#590 16mark

16mark

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

I think you are missing the forest for the trees here. Kesler looks broken down because he had no long offseason to train given the late summer due to the long Cup run and the late labrum surgery. Pahlsson's addition eases up Kesler's defensive workload, especially on the PK which will, I don't know, leave Kesler with more energy to expend on offence? Cody Hodgson's sparkling 40% faceoff rating wasn't taking any pressure off of Kesler any which way you cut it and Kesler's 51% Dzone starts with Cody on the roster prove that but now with Pahlsson? I bet Kesler jumps up to 66% Ozone starts and that means his production ought to jump up (hit the crossbar lastnight and that was a shot we saw go in a bunch of last year).

Gillis still is following the Detroit model: "heavy bodies" (as Babcock calls them) that can control the boards, protect & cycle the puck down low, create traffic in front and get shots through from the point with big body screening the goalie. Go look a the wingers in Detroit, they're all big bodies with skill: Franzen, Bertuzzi, Holmstrom, Cleary (plays a big game), Abdelkader, Miller, and even Zetterberg plays a big game in spite of his size. They are also all faster skaters than CoHo (save for Holmstrom).

Shanny wasn't bad for them either. But how is our track record when it has come to recruiting power forwards under MG regime?

#591 rb4u

rb4u

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

It could have worked out. People are saying he would have always been under Hank and Kess. But Kess could have been put on the wing. Kess's speed is more suited for the wing anyways and Cody's a better passer. You really think Kess's ego is so big he wouldn't have gone to the wing for the betterment of the team?

Was thinking of this particular alignment myself when the announced the Pahlsson trade was announced.
Always thought of Kesler as more of a shoot first defensive centre than the more traditional puck distributor.
Never understood why they used CoHo on the wing earlier in the year when they auditioned him on the 2nd line.
Guess we will never know now...

#592 BurnabyJoe

BurnabyJoe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

I'm still crushed over losing Hodgson.

But Kassian was just meant to play here. He's exactly what we need right now, and his favourite player is Todd Bertuzzi!
http://i8.photobucke...e/canucks40.jpg <- Jim Robson's 40th Anniversary Team.

#593 16mark

16mark

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

Obviously it takes more than one game.

But anybody who thinks Zack Attack is in the same league as the above mentioned players seriously has no ability to judge a hockey player. Pyatt & Bernier never had the speed that Kassian possesses. Pyatt NEVER EVER not even pre-NHL had the grit factor. Bitz? He didn't look good or at least not better than a 4th liner. He had a couple of lucky points with the Sedins, but do you actually let that cloud your judgement when you are deciding whether a player is good or not?? Weise? Are you kidding me?

Torres is the only one with both speed and hitting ability. However, he played 3rd line from the start and had 1 point in his first 7 games. Who was tooting his horn as a future top-6 player exactly?

Anyhow, like I said, it obviously takes more than 1 game but I was stoked on what I saw from Kassian today, including his ability to make decent defensive decisions.

Pyatt was picked 8th, Bernierwas picked 16th and Raffi was 5th. All in the 1st round all had a turn with our team and all failed. Kass was picked 13th overall in 09. All three were said to have great speed for there size as well and all three were just as highly touted as Kassian by the best scouts in the world so no Im not kidding you.

#594 16mark

16mark

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

His play today made me feel a bit better. I kind of expected it though as MG wouldn't trade Coho for a scruby scrub. People comparing him to Bernier and Pyatt are ???? goofs. You're wrong, get over it. You've already been proven wrong. It's not a matter of time. YOU ARE WRONG.

Proof:

28 games played. 44 hits. ATOI 12 mins.

Fights:

Vs. Matt Martin (win)
Vs. Tom Sestito (win)

STOP WITH THE BERNIER AND PYATT crap.

How can you be so dogmatic? Do your research both of the formentioned were picked in the first round as well.

#595 16mark

16mark

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

Joe Sakic scored 62 points in 70 games in his rookie season - as an 18 year-old, on the worst team in the league. This is coming off of 60/133 and 78/160 goal/point seasons in the WHL when 16 and 17, respectively. In his second year in the 'dub, as a 17 year-old, he scored 11 goals and 24 points in 10 playoff games.

Cody Hodgson never made it to 100 points in Junior, nowhere near Joe's 160 (Cody's best year came after being drafted, while Sakic joined the NHL immediately). His highest goal total in junior was 43 - 35 less than Sakic's peak. He turned 22 last month, and only had 3 points all February, playing on the top and highest scoring team in the league.

Cody Hodgson is a good young player. But he is not, and never will be, Joe Sakic.

And I bet you JS got more than 12 mins a game. btw it was a different game back then. Goalies were smaller pads were smaller. 80 points in todays game is like 110 in the 80's You really think Gretzky would score 200 points in todays NHL.? You cant compare todays stats to the 80's 90's. in 92-93 players were scoring 70 goals

#596 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

Pyatt was picked 8th, Bernierwas picked 16th and Raffi was 5th. All in the 1st round all had a turn with our team and all failed. Kass was picked 13th overall in 09. All three were said to have great speed for there size as well and all three were just as highly touted as Kassian by the best scouts in the world so no Im not kidding you.

I don't give a f*ck when they were drafted.

Even a blind man could tell the difference between Kassian and those players (especially in potential) at the time they came to the Canucks. Especially when you consider that NONE of the above were in their rookie seasons when they came here and had already shown what they had to offer at the NHL level (esp. Torres).

Wow they were picked in the first round! So was Stefan, but so was Daniel Sedin. Great.

Thank you for informing me that you don't understand player development!

Edited by Teemu Selšnne, 02 March 2012 - 09:38 PM.

#597 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

'Hey guys, let's whine and talk about how stupid MG is for trading Hodgson for this Kassian guy. Coho is Cam Neely, Zack is the next Bernier - why would he ever do that? So stupid: this is not the future: we wanna win now'

....So, how's it going down there haters/non-believers? Lolololol : Hahahahaha....

Kassian had one solid game. No one is drooling over him that wasn't already. Relax.

Zomg he's not Rick Nash!

Just like his father.
Posted Image

#598 TheGhostOfRazor

TheGhostOfRazor

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:25 PM

I just wish the Canucks had mortgaged their 1st round pick and more if necessary for a grittier, impact 3rd liner instead of Pahlsson. Anyone from this list would have been good better: Brandon Sutter, Steve Ott, Gaustad, or Brooks Laich.

It's just my opinion that both Kassian and Gragnani are going to really help the Canucks big-time, but the help won't be felt nearly as much as if the team didn't replace Hodgson with Pahlsson. I mean, this isn't 2007.
Busy cultivating useless good taste.
Posted Image

#599 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:32 PM

I just wish the Canucks had mortgaged their 1st round pick and more if necessary for a grittier, impact 3rd liner instead of Pahlsson. Anyone from this list would have been good better: Brandon Sutter, Steve Ott, Gaustad, or Brooks Laich.

It's just my opinion that both Kassian and Gragnani are going to really help the Canucks big-time, but the help won't be felt nearly as much as if the team didn't replace Hodgson with Pahlsson. I mean, this isn't 2007.

Pahlsson may not be as gritty as the guys you mentioned, but he's SO strong on the puck and along the boards (in the 'trenches'). This isn't 2007, but Pahlsson hasn't lost a step, give him a few games and he'll be looking good - when the matching game gets tight in the playoffs he'll look even better.

Plus, all those players that you mentioned probably weren't available to the Canucks, except for maybe Gaustad who was traded for a 1st that will likely be higher than the Canucks'.

#600 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:38 PM

3rd line duties have changed. Yes Pahlsson has replaced Cody but not for his offensive abilities. Pahlsson was a huge factor in Anaheims 2006-2007 stanley cup drive because he shutdown the opposing teams top scorers. This line has been converted to a checking line which is extremely important in order to limit the other teams chance of scoring on us. Our top two lines should be providing the goals, and they are to blame if this isn't the case come playoff time.

Edited by JohnLennon, 02 March 2012 - 11:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.