The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian (Official Thread)

hyroglyphixs

I've been waiting a long time for MG to pull a move off like this. As one of his bigger critics on this site, I have to admit I really like this trade. We needed someone along the lines of Parros, Ott, Gaustad or Moen. Instead of overpaying for someone less skilled and aging, he brought in a prospect who has more skill than all of the above and can actually throw down. Look at some of his clips from this year alone. This kid is NHL ready, perhaps moreso than Cody just off of size alone. I also get a kick out of all those MG experts who somehow knew that there was no chance he would trade away his first draft pick no matter what. I love when people on this site start giving definitive statements about what he will or won't do. Nice to see him throw in a curve ball and get someone who can contribute what we need to win the cup, as well as keep for a long time. Hoddy will be a decent player but his lack of speed and size just turns him into another Sedin in the making which teams clearly have been able to shut down in the past. Can't wait to have a few different looks to our offense come playoff time. The Sedins can be our finesse playmakers. Mayray Hansen can be our speed demons. Lappy and Higgy can be high octane energy guys. Booth and Kass can be our powerforwards. Kes and Burr can do everything. Manny and Sami are shutdown centres. Our team just added a lot more balance. We can now hold on to jshray who probably holds a lot less value than Cody did anyway but may end up being quite good himself.

• 1 year later...

^ lol

Don't blame Kassian for his lack of development... blame management and the coaching staff for doing a terrible job with our young guys for a long time now. The organization hasn't done what's best for Kassian, and it's funny 'cause they did the same thing to the guy he was traded for.

Kassian was rushed. This upcoming season probably should have been his first.

Schneider worked out well but he's not really at a "prospect" age and was never in an ideal situation with the whole Luongo thing.

I still cringe at Grabner's handling and trade.

Schroeder might not be treated right, either. Probably will end up being pawned off for an under-performing player on a bad contract sooner or later. However, things could change under Torts, and I really hope this is the case because we can't afford guys like Horvat and Shinkaruk being ruined.

Did it so I could apply the power of Hindsight later. B)

Did that hurt?

They both started playing in the NHL at the exact same age (Well, Pyatt would be Born in August and Kassian in January, so technically Pyatt would have been slightly younger)

Pyatt played more NHL games than Kassian at his age. If you put all 3 of Kassian's seasons together (83 games), we can compare the stats of Pyatts first season (78 games). They look very similar, I would argue that Kassian got to play on a better team (and we are counting two other seasons, where he should have improved)

Since I have been informed that Kassian's draft was so strong, and Pyatt's was so weak. It make me think I am wrong, Kassian is not a Pyatt 2.0

He doesn't deserve to be compared to someone leaps and bounds ahead of him.

Kassian < Pyatt

Also,

I think Nugent Hopkins is gonna keep taking a walloping until he becomes a Lindros. (a little more foresight, he won't be as good... in case that is the only point you are going to argue)

He's a young player that needs time to learn and develop his game. I just don't want to see him get a free pass to do his developing on our top line.

He's far to inconsistent and a times, lackluster to be on the top line. He's a guy that needs a mentor and at the moment, I think Kes is the best player to do that. Kes can also make up for some of Zack's mistakes.

Did it so I could apply the power of Hindsight later. B)

Did that hurt?

They both started playing in the NHL at the exact same age (Well, Pyatt would be Born in August and Kassian in January, so technically Pyatt would have been slightly younger)

Pyatt played more NHL games than Kassian at his age. If you put all 3 of Kassian's seasons together (83 games), we can compare the stats of Pyatts first season (78 games). They look very similar, I would argue that Kassian got to play on a better team (and we are counting two other seasons, where he should have improved)

Since I have been informed that Kassian's draft was so strong, and Pyatt's was so weak. It make me think I am wrong, Kassian is not a Pyatt 2.0

He doesn't deserve to be compared to someone leaps and bounds ahead of him.

Kassian < Pyatt

Also,

I think Nugent Hopkins is gonna keep taking a walloping until he becomes a Lindros. (a little more foresight, he won't be as good... in case that is the only point you are going to argue)

Archived