The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian (Official Thread)

hyroglyphixs

As much as I love Cody, he's built to be a 1st or 2nd line center and given that we have H. Sedin and Kesler for these roles, Cody was the odd man out in the long term. Add that to the fact that some playoff teams just got a lot bigger and tougher, we needed that big body in the lineup because you just know that whoever we face in the playoffs will try to immitate what Boston did last year by trying to bully us. I think many people are looking at this deal as a horrible one mainly due to their love for Cody but it's really not all that bad. Kassian has a hard and tough playing style. His play will be more and more appreicated by the fan as things get tougher and he gets better.

Man, It stings to hear CoHo gone, what stings me more is that we are going to vs. Sabres this Saturday. I hope MG knows what he's doing, anyways I hope Cody does a great job in buffalo, i bet he will get an "A" next year. This trade was like the Linden-Bertuzzi Trade, but what a coincidence if we got Hodgson back. I hope Kassian helps this team alot, if is worth Hodgson than he has to prove it.

Stop using the excuse of COHO being stuck behind Henrik and Kesler to feel better about this retarded trade.

Hodgson could've easily been 2nd line center with Kesler and Booth on his wings.

Kassian could easily become Steve Bernier v2.0, good junior stats, big power forward game, no hands, questionable worth ethic.

I would've traded Raymond and whatever picks it took, before i even thought about COHO.

Do you see Pittsburgh trading Jordan Stall, because he's stuck behind Crosby and Malkin?

LOL I'm cautious but excited. Cautious because it took us Hodgson to acquire him, excited because he's something that we haven't had in a long time - a rugged power forward with skill and speed. I just hope the fans don't jump him if he is deemed not NHL-ready - this can be a futuristic move, not necessarily a now or never type deal where he NEEDS to be on the top 9 lines - we got Pahlsson to replace Cody, not Kassian. I wouldn't mind it if he went to Chicago either to develop and come up in the playoffs if he needs more time.

Well despite what happened to us vs Boston last year, l believe that we needed more of a BIGGER presence, more muscle to compliment our team. l hope as many in Nuck Nation, that with Zack he gives us the options up front to help Kes and the Sedins.

l think these new acquisitions will do well for us to survive the tough rounds to getting us the Stanley Cup!

l'm glad ownership and the Nuck's organization have addressed what we will need for this years run! This is going to be something special in the making!

We can't replace the points per game average type of offense Cody has brought to this team. Could be wrong, hope I'm wrong but Kassian is a big question mark when it comes to offense. Sammy will help in the shut down defensive department, so very very doubtful that he will be an offensive threat.

I've been saying this in some of the other threads but here it goes again my 2 cents on this

1) First and foremost I like most of you on this board am sad to see Cody go..he hopefully thrives in Buffalo (Just not this Saturday :lol: )

2) A lot of you seem to be writing of Kassian as a project player who will only help us in the future (which could and probably is somewhat true) but I think a lot of you have also forgotten that when Hodgson came into this season he was just as unproven as Kassian is now ( CoHo only had 2 pts in 8 games and 1pt in 12 playoff games). Now I know stats don't mean much with the limited icetime Cody got last year but my point here is that Cody coming into this year had not done much at the pro level so who's to say Kassian won't come in to the canucks lineup and do similar things (NOT saying he will..it is just a possibility that has yet to be seen)

3) I know in response to my last point there some of you might say that Kassian was given an opportunity in Buffalo and only put up 3G-4A-7PTS in 27 games but I think as I previously stated that these numbers don't mean much given he is in a different situation here where AV will hopefully put him with some linemates that he has chemistry with.

Anyway those are my thoughts in summary I think we should give this guy a chance before calling GMMG an idiot...I trust what management is doing and I trust that they understand what we need to take this team to a cup

I that trade never would have happened. Gillis didnt want to trade Hodgson, they asked for him because they are thin down the middle. The Sabres have tons of young talented wings. They were already the smallest team in the NHL, why the hell would they want Raymond.

You dont get to choose who goes....you have to make sacrifices sometimes. We were too small last year and we are (were) smaller than we were last year. Get over it. Its done. The Canucks development has turned some players who were to be nothing more than grinders, into some pretty special players.

Guy's he's a year younger than Hodgson and has 7 points in 27 games, let's not forget that Cody had only 3 points in 20 games last year (reg + playoffs). If you are going to complain that Kassian hasn't been getting points in his last 17 games...well neither has Hodgson really, he had a great Jan but a pretty slow February once checking has gotten tighter. I think he had two goals this month, both deflected in off opponents.

Come playoff time we need a third line that can shut down and wear down the opposition...having guys like Pahlsson, Malholtra, Kassian, Hansen and Lappierre in our bottom 6 are going to be crucial for that role. I LOVED Coho here and I think he could be clutch occasionally throughout the playoffs, but this deal benefits our needs now more than keeping Hodgson. Also keep in mind Hodgson was going to be an UFA really soon and his agent has been saying all along that they want him getting more minutes as a 2nd line centre....theres no room for one here with Mr. Art Ross and Mr. Selke in the lineup. From an emotional standpoint this trade sucks and is hard to take...but I think it will make us better this year and next.

Like most have understood...Coho won't ever unseed Hank or Kesler for Center spot on first two lines. Coho will be a great player for a longtime but also Zack will be as well and is more needed for what he can bring to this team. I also like the other moves the Canucks made today.

Bottom line is we want to win our first Cup right now and in the summer we could vary well have Webber and Nash on route to Van. I only mention this because Coho would have demanded more money soon and we just won't be spending that kind of money on a 3rd line center.

Lets see if the Twins get a facewash after shift in this years final :)

On the 1996 NHL trade deadline the Pittsburgh Penguins traded Markus Naslund to the Vancouver Canucks for Alek Stojanov. Stojanov played only 107 games in the NHL recording a whopping 7 points. Naslund became the face of the Canucks both and on and off the ice. I hope to God that we didn't trade away a Naslund.

Zack Kassian for Alexander Sulzer

Marc-Andre Gragnani for Cody Hodgson

There now it feels better. I am sure that is more, or less the idea of the trade. The Canucks need more strength at forward and depth at defence. Solved and solved.

If you're bummed out by this trade, that's because you are making a direct comparison between Hodgson and Kassian. Yes, it hurts to lose a potential franchise center, but you need to recognize that Zack Kassian is not coming over from Buffalo to replace Cody - we did that with a previous deal for Sami Pahlsson. With Pahlsson, we are going back to the conventional shutdown 3rd line. This allows us to give those sheltered offensive minutes that we gave to Cody by having Kesler play the entire game in the shutdown role to Kesler - by having Pahlsson take half of Kesler's shutdown minutes.

Without doubt, Kesler will outproduce Cody with the same offensive minutes - that's what happened last season when we got Manny to take some of Kesler's defensive minutes before he got injured. Now, we have 2 lines that can take Kesler's shutdown minutes, meaning Kesler will really be able to focus on offense. With this formula, we went to game 7 of the SCF despite both Manny and Kesler getting injured. With another addition of Pahlsson (and having Booth instead of Samuelsson and Luongo playing the way he is this year), we are better equipped than last year.

Now let's focus on Kassian. What do we have in this kid? A big, rugged power forward that can shoot, skate and play. Here's my take though Canucks fans - dont, please don't, expect Kassian to be our "answer" to Boston, or as our "Lucic".

This kid just turned 21 and this is his first season in the pros against men. No matter how big you are, you are going to be intimidated, not intimidating, by the other big experienced players in this league. Buffalo had the unfair expectations for this kid to be their answer to Boston - how do you expect a then-20 year old to take on the entire Boston team? Boston plays the way they do because their entire roster is willing to fight - from Chara to Thornton to Campbell to Horton to Lucic - everybody fights on Boston. To expect one kid, a 21 year old, to stand up to all of them, is insane.

Buffalo played this kid like his biggest asset was his toughness - so they played him as a 3rd/4th line banger and killed his offensive instincts in the process. He was constantly moved up and down from AHL to NHL and it's as if they had him believe that the only way he could stick to the roster was by fighting...

But what I think Buffalo overlooked is that Kassian has great skills. Kassian can skate extremely well for his size. Kassian can shoot very well. Kassian can pass very well. Kassian can hold on to, and protect the puck with his body extremely well. Most importantly, Kassian is a beast along the boards.

Kassian can help us gain possession and keep our cycle game going. He's not a fighter - that mean streak aspect of his game will come along as he gets more confident and established in this league.

He can help us NOW on the top 9. This kid is skilled - it's a different skillset than Cody - Kassian's skills are speed, size, grit, puck possession and board battles. He is an impact player in many ways that Cody is not. Similarly, Cody is an impact player in many ways that Kassian is not - smart, playmaking, leadership. Except - we have players that have the skillset that Cody has, and they are better at Cody in that regard. We do not have players better than Kassian at what he does with his size, speed and skillset.

Kassian, if he cannot help us now, will help us in the future greatly. The reality of the trade is, we don't need Kassian to be an impact player this season. Pahlsson is what we swapped Hodgson for - not Kassian. We can afford to wait for Kassian to develop if we need to send him down. No worries. But when he is ready, he will bring something to this team that nobody else can.

With our player development and leadership, I have no doubt that whatever "problems" Kassian is rumoured to have will get straightened out by the veteran leadership in our locker room, our experienced coaching staff or the organization.

Archived