The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian (Official Thread)

hyroglyphixs

I'm hoping for Hodgson to rip it up in Buffalo cause he's such a nice and humble guy but then again if he does really well then Canucks fans wont be happy cause they'll think we lost the trade. In order for us to win this trade, Coho has to do average but I really don't want to see that happen to such a great guy.

At first I was shocked - we all have the feeling of a personal attachment to Cody, like we raised him to where he is now - how could we get rid of him? And who are these guys coming in to replace him?

The longer I think about it though, the more the shock dulls and the more I like this deal:

1. Kassian's development is along the lines of where Hodgson was last year. One thing that Hodgson didn't (and doesn't) have, is Kassian's power - Kassian is a major physical upgrade over Hodgson.

2. If Kassian continues his development as expected, I can see him on the 2nd-3rd line next year, and 1st-2nd the year after that. Here, Hodgson would still be behind Kesler and Henrik at that point. Sure Hodgson's the future, but he wouldn't be able to realize that future playing on the 3rd line.

Don't forget - we got Gragnani as well.

1. This guy's not just a spare part like Sulzer - coming from a team that is -27, this guy is a +10.

2. He can score goals too - the easy comparison from spending time together in Buffalo is a "more defensively minded Ehrhoff". He'll obviously be given a chance to play on the right side of Edler, and if it works, then that's awesome. Worst case he replaces Ballard as our #5.

3. He'll also be an offensive upgrade to the 2nd PP unit over Bieksa/Hammer, letting them focus more on the tough minutes.

Take a step back, try to ignore your emotional attachment to Hodgson, and look at the benefits of what we're getting in return. It's a pretty good deal that happens to benefit both sides.

On the 1996 NHL trade deadline the Pittsburgh Penguins traded Markus Naslund to the Vancouver Canucks for Alek Stojanov. Stojanov played only 107 games in the NHL recording a whopping 7 points. Naslund became the face of the Canucks both and on and off the ice. I hope to God that we didn't trade away a Naslund.

On the 1996 NHL trade deadline the Pittsburgh Penguins traded Markus Naslund to the Vancouver Canucks for Alek Stojanov. Stojanov played only 107 games in the NHL recording a whopping 7 points. Naslund became the face of the Canucks both and on and off the ice. I hope to God that we didn't trade away a Naslund.

I loved having CoHo too, and I'm shocked that he was traded. But this trade is the ideal situation for CoHo and the Canucks. We should be happy for him.

And it sucks that Zack is going to be welcomed into a new city with "Oh, you're that guy we gave up Hodgson for." I'm excited to see what he brings to the table.

And I'll continue to support Coho in Buffalo as well. He's joining our Eastern conference, estranged-at-expansion brother.

He'll be a great player in the next few years. He has an unlimited ceiling which is great. The only problem is that the Canucks may have lost their chance at the cup this year. The Sedins will be shut-down and Kesler isn't exactly the most consistent playoff performer. The lack of offensive depth is going to be scary especially if Kassian is not ready to play in the NHL.

Archived