412 replies to this topic

#1 Bilbro Baggins

Bilbro Baggins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

Traded to Canucks for Hodgson (as you probably already know). Discuss him here...

http://www.hockeysfu...ct/Zack_Kassian

Talent Analysis

The 6'3, 205-pound (has grown to 6'4, 228-pounds since article was written) right winger is a power forward prospect. He has imposing size and has shown a willingness to use it. While he may not have as much offensive upside as other forwards at the top of the draft order, Kassian's total package of size, checking, and energetic play make him an appealing addition to a club looking for a top-six forward who can open up the ice for other teammates. An ability to put the puck in the net adds to his value as he has proven he won't be an offensive liability with more skilled teammates.
Future

Kassian projects as an imposing power forward at the next level with good enough hands and hockey sense to potentially play on the second line someday. He uses his body effectively in the offensive zone and creates mismatches along the wall for opponents because of his strength. Kassian could ultimately end up anywhere from a fringe first liner to a scoring third liner depending on his development over the next few years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXl47qZDVhY

Edited by TheStork, 28 February 2012 - 04:54 PM.

Posted Image

#2 CanucksBen

CanucksBen

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

Cant wait to see him play.

Posted Image

"Skatin' around, bunch of mice on the ice, showin' off the moves we learn'd"

If I make a joke, and it hurts your feelings, eff off you pansy b*tches

#3 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,510 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

No one knows how he'll turn like. The next Bertuzzi? He's just 21 years of age (One year younger the CoHo)

We'll wait and see.

307mg00.jpg

#4 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

No one knows how he'll turn like. The next Bertuzzi? He's just 21 years of age (One year younger the CoHo)

We'll wait and see.

I think so, he definetly has the Hands, Size, Shot and Agression in his game

zackass.png

#5 CanuckRow

CanuckRow

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

POPULAR

15yezck.jpg

@Chel24Seven

#6 Abcbob

Abcbob

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

wow. that was very hodgson-like there.

#7 VancouverStyle

VancouverStyle

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:50 PM

Welcome Zack, i can't wait to see what you bring to the table. Hopefully he has no problems
adjusting to our system with the Canucks or the Wolves.

#8 Evil Roach

Evil Roach

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:50 PM

Zack Kassian is a bulldog. I know we had to give up hodgson but what else do you expect.... you don't see a big boy with great offensive potential.

#9 VAN_FAN_MATT

VAN_FAN_MATT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:57 PM

POPULAR

I posted this elsewhere (not on CDC), so I'll post it here too I guess.

If by any chance the Canucks have troubles offensively (secondary scoring) in the playoffs, I will surely be much much much more extremely PISSED OFF! Cody provided offensive depth and has proven to be an impact player during this season. He's scored some pretty clutch goals in some of the biggest games against some of our most hated rivals this season. We go from that to Kassian who is a BIG question mark regarding whether or not he is capable of providing offensively in the NHL right NOW. Sure he is a big and tough, gritty player with some serious offensive power forward potential, but like I said, he is a big question mark when it comes to being NHL ready to provide offense and being effective in the NHL. Just a rather large gamble at this time of year. All that above plus on top of it all the Canucks simply did no't get back enough in return for this highly skilled, highly regarded, 'Rookie of the Year' candidate, future captain and future all-star, top line projected centre such as Hodgson. This trade has left me feeling and all of Canucks nation feeling simply ripped the frack off. That is the best I can describe how I fee about this trade. Kassian now has some major expectations to fulfill in Canuckland. He better dam well turn out to be like Cam Neely dammit!

Edited by VAN_FAN_MATT, 28 February 2012 - 12:08 AM.

#10 WZRD

WZRD

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

Better hope that the twins and Kes don't get shutdown in the playoffs again.

Anyways, hopefully Kassian lives up to Gillis' expectations.

Posted Image

#11 VAN_FAN_MATT

VAN_FAN_MATT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:07 PM

I'd really like to see Kassian wear the number 77

2nd line ----> 7 17 77

With all those sevens in there, we could call them the 'Jackpot' line.

I know, I know, your probably thinking to yourself, "good god not another nickname recomendation."

Edited by VAN_FAN_MATT, 27 February 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#12 VAN_FAN_MATT

VAN_FAN_MATT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

Better hope that the twins and Kes don't get shutdown in the playoffs again. Anyways, hopefully Kassian lives up to Gillis' expectations.

I hope he surpasses Gillis's expectaions as well as CDC's expectations.

One thing I over looked is that he also has some pretty decent playmaking skills apparently.

Edited by VAN_FAN_MATT, 27 February 2012 - 11:16 PM.

#13 dirk diggler

dirk diggler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:16 PM

Really excited to see Kassian play and I support this trade 100%. My only question is if he couldn't crack Buffalo's lineup when is he expected to do so here?
"If I claim to be a wise man it surely means that I don't know..."

#14 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:16 PM

Kassian is a piece that this franchise was missing in its system.

We had to give up a lofty price with Cody to gain him, but I think it'll prove to be worth it.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#15 VAN_FAN_MATT

VAN_FAN_MATT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:28 PM

There was that one comment Darren Dreger said during TradCenter after the trade occured.

That there was at least one eastern conference GM that would surely be angry about Hodgson being traded, and as of the last few days that GM pushed hard to try and aquire Hodgson from VAN but was repeatedly told he was not available, most likely because that GM didn't have the right pieces the Canucks were interested in in order to make a deal.

I whole heartedly believe that GM he was referring to was TOR GM Brian Burke. That is my oppinion, though could be wrong, but very much doubt it. It makes sense. Maybe was dangling Luke Schenn.

#16 Todd Bertuzzzzi

Todd Bertuzzzzi

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

I would still pick cody over zack but i guess he could be really helpful in the playoffs
The Kesler Club

#17 DreamHerO

DreamHerO

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Kassian is a piece that this franchise was missing in its system.

We had to give up a lofty price with Cody to gain him, but I think it'll prove to be worth it.

Ehhh, no. We have many Kassian like players in our farm and in the OHL.
Posted Image

#18 Trelane42

Trelane42

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

Schroeder's performance in the second half made Cody more expendable. This Kassian cat is the sort of player a 5'9" pivot needs to get by in the NHL. Perhaps in 2 years time we will see a line of Schroeder flanked by Jansen and Kassian.

Kassian, I note, had a better PPG (draft and final years) in junior than Jansen. His truculence in that league has no equal among Nuck prospect pool.

#19 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

Excited to see us get a power forward with his potential, we haven't had a big forward like him since Bertuzzi.

61c1f524-b05e-4da1-b54d-e7ac1d87c904.jpg

#20 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,223 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:08 AM

This team doesn't need another powerforward. Sure we got pushed around last year, but we've already improved enough with Higgins and Booth playing a top-6 role over Samuelsson and Raymond.

Last year we had a "tough", "gritty" 3rd line that hardly ever scored in the playoffs but this season we were looking fine with 2 20-goal scorers (a common theme amongst the last 5 cup winners) on our third line who would contribute when our top-6 were shutdown again.

Instead of acquiring what this team really needed (defensive depth), we take 1 step forward with a veteran Cup winner in Pahlsson, but 2 BIG steps back by losing Hodgson and getting a fringe NHL player in return.
Posted Image

#21 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,413 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:13 AM

I really like this deal.

That's how you get a big scoring winger Burkie.

Subbancopy.jpg

#22 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:21 AM

This team doesn't need another powerforward. Sure we got pushed around last year, but we've already improved enough with Higgins and Booth playing a top-6 role over Samuelsson and Raymond.

Last year we had a "tough", "gritty" 3rd line that hardly ever scored in the playoffs but this season we were looking fine with 2 20-goal scorers (a common theme amongst the last 5 cup winners) on our third line who would contribute when our top-6 were shutdown again.

Instead of acquiring what this team really needed (defensive depth), we take 1 step forward with a veteran Cup winner in Pahlsson, but 2 BIG steps back by losing Hodgson and getting a fringe NHL player in return.

Please, lets not taint this thread with this kind of talk. There are plenty of other threads in the general section where you can post this.

The deal has been done, Kassian is now a Canucks rookie/prospect. Let's get excited about what he can bring to the table.

#23 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:35 AM

Welcome to the 'Nucks Zack. Please don't buckle under the pressure of our insane fan base's expectations of anyone coming in return of the Mighty CoHo.

So is our WCE 2.0 now officially prepared?

Rodin/Jensen - Schroeder - Kassian

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#24 22sedins33

22sedins33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:56 AM

Welcome to the 'Nucks Zack. Please don't buckle under the pressure of our insane fan base's expectations of anyone coming in return of the Mighty CoHo.

So is our WCE 2.0 now officially prepared?

Rodin/Jensen - Schroeder - Kassian

I guess it could be said but I wouldn't really say that Schroeder is much like BMO and none of the wingers are anything like Naslund. We're set to have a kid line in a few years that's got great potential to do amazing things for years to come. No need to make comparisons to our former players.
The day has only just begun and already your mind has snapped like a dry and brittle twig...

#25 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:23 AM

Ehhh, no. We have many Kassian like players in our farm and in the OHL.

Keep dreaming. We have no one in our system - Europe, CHL, ECHL, AHL, or NHL - that plays like Kassian.

Sure, we have players that are as big as Kassian - I'll list them for you.

Archibald - has Kassian's size, grit and mean streak - but lacks Kassian's skills and speed

Jensen - has Kassian's size, skill and speed - but lacks Kassian's grit and mean streak

Grenier - has Kassian's size - but lacks Kassian's grit, mean streak, skill and speed

LaBate - has Kassian's size and speed - but lacks Kassian's skill, grit and mean streak

Nobody in our system is the complete package that Kassian is of size, skill, speed, grit and mean streak as a power forward. Kassian is a rare complete package as a power forward. Jensen is a skilled player, but he is more akin to being a Naslund-type player than a Bertuzzi-type player. Kassian is a Bertuzzi-type player.

#26 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:33 AM

Nope. Hodgson could not help us this season. He's not a shutdown center like Pahlsson who would free up the offensive minutes for Kesler. Basically the only reason Hodgson was able to produce like he did is because we sacrificed Ryan Kesler's offensive minutes so that Hodgson could get the sheltered minutes he got.

Kesler was out there for 20 minutes of shut down mode against the other team's top line so that Hodgson could get his 10-13 minutes of offensive ice time. Now with Pahlsson, we can get Kesler those offensive minutes that Hodgson ate up. Obviously, Kesler would perform better than Hodgson with the same easy minutes.

That's what happened last year when Kesler broke out - he got the offensive minutes instead of shutdown when Manny came over - except this time around, we have Manny still on the 4th line, and now have Pahlsson on the 3rd line. This move is essentially freeing up Ryan Kesler for offense instead of having Cody play those minutes. I like that.

Kassian addresses the team's need for a power forward with size, speed, skill, grit and mean streak. These players with the complete package are rare. Hodgson became expendable when we got Pahlsson to play 3rd line center because he could not play wing, and we have 2 top centers in the league playing ahead of him in the log jam.

What I will miss from Hodgson is the 2nd unit PP quarterback. We don't have that offensive center to play on the 2nd unit anymore. However, addition of Pahlsson and Kassian will greatly improve our 5 on 5 play, as Kassian's real underrated skillset is that he is tough to knock off the puck (perfect for our puck possession game) and that he is great along the boards at getting pucks (also perfect for our puck possession game).

#27 Spitfire_Spiky

Spitfire_Spiky

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

So my question is when we see him in a Nucks uniform? Since he's already in the AHL are we going to just send him to Chicago or are we going to recall him now and get him some more NHL experience before the playoff?
Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest

#28 Deep

Deep

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

So my question is when we see him in a Nucks uniform? Since he's already in the AHL are we going to just send him to Chicago or are we going to recall him now and get him some more NHL experience before the playoff?

He will likely play right away IMO. He was buried under alot of depth on the sabers. The Canucks don't have the winger depth for him to not play right away.

#29 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,543 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

Keep dreaming. We have no one in our system - Europe, CHL, ECHL, AHL, or NHL - that plays like Kassian.

Sure, we have players that are as big as Kassian - I'll list them for you.

Archibald - has Kassian's size, grit and mean streak - but lacks Kassian's skills and speed

Jensen - has Kassian's size, skill and speed - but lacks Kassian's grit and mean streak

Grenier - has Kassian's size - but lacks Kassian's grit, mean streak, skill and speed

LaBate - has Kassian's size and speed - but lacks Kassian's skill, grit and mean streak

Nobody in our system is the complete package that Kassian is of size, skill, speed, grit and mean streak as a power forward. Kassian is a rare complete package as a power forward. Jensen is a skilled player, but he is more akin to being a Naslund-type player than a Bertuzzi-type player. Kassian is a Bertuzzi-type player.

So you're saying Jensen-Schroeder-Kassian is the WCE reincarnate... :emot-parrot:

Edited by avelanch, 28 February 2012 - 08:34 AM.

#30 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

Anyone feel bad for him? There's a lot of pressure on this kid. Imagine what the fans would do if he doesn't pan out.

I'm still beyond pissed at the Hodgson deal... but what can you do? I'm just a rambling guy behind a computer..

I hope Kassian can prove the doubters wrong and provide that grit and scoring ability we sorely needed.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.