The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian Talk

Bilbro Baggins

CDC's reaction:

Kassian has a two point night: OMG Kassian's awesome, keep him on the second line AV! What a great trade!

Kassian goes pointless the next night: Drop Kassian to the fourth line, he can't handle the pressure. Hodgson would have scored on that penalty shot.

:picard:

Guest Dasein

When our stars are slumping, you can't look at a couple rookies as the reason we're losing.

Kassian is not going to win us games, to think that is to expect too much.

Agreed.

So if he can win us ONE, just ONE game in the playoffs, I would be ecstatic. The thing is, he has the potential to be the difference maker in so many ways - big hit, big fight, big goal, big play on both ends of the rink. Hopefully he can play hero in one of the games in this year's playoffs.

All I ask is that he brings it every game and works hard at improving every day.

CDC's reaction:

Kassian has a two point night: OMG Kassian's awesome, keep him on the second line AV! What a great trade!

Kassian goes pointless the next night: Drop Kassian to the fourth line, he can't handle the pressure. Hodgson would have scored on that penalty shot.

:picard:

I agree..It's one extreme to the other around here..Hodgson probably would have scored on that penalty shot.....!!....Conversely,Last season Cody was very much a peewee out there(I am also taking in to account he was coming off an injury)...Kassian is much farther ahead in the trajectory my opinion.

It's funny how CDC is soooooooo in love with Kassian and Hodgson.

Hodgson provided scoring depth on the 3rd line.

Kassian is a rough tough physical 3rd/4th line winger.

Both are rookies.

Be excited for your Canucks players but don't put them on a pedestal.

Here's hoping Kassian does well.

It's funny how CDC is soooooooo in love with Kassian and Hodgson.

Hodgson provided scoring depth on the 3rd line.

Kassian is a rough tough physical 3rd/4th line winger.

Both are rookies.

Be excited for your Canucks players but don't put them on a pedestal.

Here's hoping Kassian does well.

Why not?

• 2 weeks later...

Kassian needs to be on the third line.

He isnt just a rough and tumble forward. He's got some hands guys. He would wear people down with Sammy and Hansen, and would provide a scoring threat.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Higgins

Kassian-Pahlsson-Hansen

Lapierre-Malhotra-Weise/Bitz/Raymond

Kassian needs to be on the third line.

He isnt just a rough and tumble forward. He's got some hands guys. He would wear people down with Sammy and Hansen, and would provide a scoring threat.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Higgins

Kassian-Pahlsson-Hansen

Lapierre-Malhotra-Weise/Bitz/Raymond

I agree. Hopefully the Raymond experiment is over. Then again, I really like Burrows and Hansen with Sammy....

I sort of wish Kassian had been sent down to the wolves for a while in order to get top 6 minutes and work on his offensive game. he could then be called upon in the playoffs full of confidence and eager to prove himself. Maybe that seems stupid but ifeel he has the potential to be an offensive force if he gets developed with that in mind. I love him on the fourth but worry it may be detrimental to his future. I have faith in the canucks organization and realize their knowledge of how to develop players far exceed mine but I wonder about what they see Zack as in the future.

Maybe we will give some of our stars a night or two off before the playoffs and we will see zack once again getting some time in the top 6 before the playoffs start. I just really hope that if we were to play chicago again in the post season he could get some time with the sedins as I would love for him to get some quality time getting to know bolland. there are a couple of pictures of Kassian that people have been posting in which he looks so freaking feral that its easy to imagine him feasting on a rat.

Kassian so far has been ok... but I dunno, it feels like he could be doing more.

It's good that he is will to play after the whistles and he surprising gets into good positions (had a handful of breakaways already)... but I want to see thundering hits. Maybe it's not his style, since I don't know much about him, but having a hard hitter is what the Canucks are missing.

Edler and Alberts can make big hits, but in terms of forechecking, Hansen, Lapierre, Burrows doesn't really hit that hard. I'm hoping that Zack Kassian can make some hits like Bertuzzi on Jackman or what Torres did during the playoffs.

• 2 weeks later...

i think you can see glimpses of kassian's game at times, when he holds off defenders and makes a play or gets in on the forecheck and plasters the guy into the glass. I think he can turn into a great 2nd line winger in 2-3 years.

I see a comparable for him as a blake wheeler type player with that type of learning curve as well give him time.

For a big guy, Kass clearly has both speed and explosiveness in his legs plus glimpses of soft hands & talent. What he needs is a dose of Higgins.

The last two games he was sent backwards, to limited if any 4th line ice in the 3rd periods as he became less effective after good first periods. Is it fair to guess that his fitness is not up to the level of battle required for the NHL? Hence suggesting learning from Higgins, who's extraordinary fitness allows immense effectiveness in individual battles as he simply has more energy to out battle people. All the skills Kass has brewing under the surface until he finds both that battle level, and the fitness to do it.

Playing 20 minutes a night, at high intensity on the Wolves, would have been great for Kass? But I guess he had to be show cased...

But we also said the same about Bitz coming off injury, maybe he is down to get that fitness? Kassian will be good in the long run; wonder if he can hold his spot vs Bitz for this year's play off???

I agree. Hopefully the Raymond experiment is over. Then again, I really like Burrows and Hansen with Sammy....

What I'm realizing with Kassian is that he doesn't have NHL speed yet.

Now I'm not just talking about how fast he can skate, but rather how quickly reacts to plays and makes plays. For this reason I don't think having him in the AHL will help.

He needs game time to get up to speed and I think as we get into the playoffs were game speed slows down due to checking he will adapt well.

i think you can see glimpses of kassian's game at times, when he holds off defenders and makes a play or gets in on the forecheck and plasters the guy into the glass. I think he can turn into a great 2nd line winger in 2-3 years.

I see a comparable for him as a blake wheeler type player with that type of learning curve as well give him time.

I haven't seen enough of Wheeler to comment. TSN said the other day that Wheeler had issues about how much it took to be an impact player physically. What I noticed or assume with Kassian is that he is thinking the game well already. Anything he has said or has been reported as saying has been very positive. Exposure to players like Higgins, Lapierre and Burrows should be excellent for his development.

Even though Kassian isn't doing much for us now, he is doing more than Hodgson was doing at the same point last season.... At least Kassian isn't getting knocked down left and right.

I don't remember Hodgson getting knocked down left and right....

He was getting to be a very good puck battler.

Even though Kassian isn't doing much for us now, he is doing more than Hodgson was doing at the same point last season.... At least Kassian isn't getting knocked down left and right.

I agree, Kassian is still young and he will develop. Even if he plays on the 4th line he is still getting experience and will improve, maybe we will one day see him as the "Bretuzzi 2.0" but in the mean time we need to remember that he is still a rookie and is still impoving.

Archived