The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian Talk

Bilbro Baggins

Traded to Canucks for Hodgson (as you probably already know). Discuss him here...

http://www.hockeysfu...ct/Zack_Kassian

Talent Analysis

The 6'3, 205-pound (has grown to 6'4, 228-pounds since article was written) right winger is a power forward prospect. He has imposing size and has shown a willingness to use it. While he may not have as much offensive upside as other forwards at the top of the draft order, Kassian's total package of size, checking, and energetic play make him an appealing addition to a club looking for a top-six forward who can open up the ice for other teammates. An ability to put the puck in the net adds to his value as he has proven he won't be an offensive liability with more skilled teammates.

Future

Kassian projects as an imposing power forward at the next level with good enough hands and hockey sense to potentially play on the second line someday. He uses his body effectively in the offensive zone and creates mismatches along the wall for opponents because of his strength. Kassian could ultimately end up anywhere from a fringe first liner to a scoring third liner depending on his development over the next few years.

I posted this elsewhere (not on CDC), so I'll post it here too I guess.

If by any chance the Canucks have troubles offensively (secondary scoring) in the playoffs, I will surely be much much much more extremely PISSED OFF! Cody provided offensive depth and has proven to be an impact player during this season. He's scored some pretty clutch goals in some of the biggest games against some of our most hated rivals this season. We go from that to Kassian who is a BIG question mark regarding whether or not he is capable of providing offensively in the NHL right NOW. Sure he is a big and tough, gritty player with some serious offensive power forward potential, but like I said, he is a big question mark when it comes to being NHL ready to provide offense and being effective in the NHL. Just a rather large gamble at this time of year. All that above plus on top of it all the Canucks simply did no't get back enough in return for this highly skilled, highly regarded, 'Rookie of the Year' candidate, future captain and future all-star, top line projected centre such as Hodgson. This trade has left me feeling and all of Canucks nation feeling simply ripped the frack off. That is the best I can describe how I fee about this trade. Kassian now has some major expectations to fulfill in Canuckland. He better dam well turn out to be like Cam Neely dammit!

Better hope that the twins and Kes don't get shutdown in the playoffs again. Anyways, hopefully Kassian lives up to Gillis' expectations.

I hope he surpasses Gillis's expectaions as well as CDC's expectations.

One thing I over looked is that he also has some pretty decent playmaking skills apparently.

Kassian is a piece that this franchise was missing in its system.

We had to give up a lofty price with Cody to gain him, but I think it'll prove to be worth it.

There was that one comment Darren Dreger said during TradCenter after the trade occured.

That there was at least one eastern conference GM that would surely be angry about Hodgson being traded, and as of the last few days that GM pushed hard to try and aquire Hodgson from VAN but was repeatedly told he was not available, most likely because that GM didn't have the right pieces the Canucks were interested in in order to make a deal.

I whole heartedly believe that GM he was referring to was TOR GM Brian Burke. That is my oppinion, though could be wrong, but very much doubt it. It makes sense. Maybe was dangling Luke Schenn.

Kassian is a piece that this franchise was missing in its system.

We had to give up a lofty price with Cody to gain him, but I think it'll prove to be worth it.

Ehhh, no. We have many Kassian like players in our farm and in the OHL.

Schroeder's performance in the second half made Cody more expendable. This Kassian cat is the sort of player a 5'9" pivot needs to get by in the NHL. Perhaps in 2 years time we will see a line of Schroeder flanked by Jansen and Kassian.

Kassian, I note, had a better PPG (draft and final years) in junior than Jansen. His truculence in that league has no equal among Nuck prospect pool.

This team doesn't need another powerforward. Sure we got pushed around last year, but we've already improved enough with Higgins and Booth playing a top-6 role over Samuelsson and Raymond.

Last year we had a "tough", "gritty" 3rd line that hardly ever scored in the playoffs but this season we were looking fine with 2 20-goal scorers (a common theme amongst the last 5 cup winners) on our third line who would contribute when our top-6 were shutdown again.

Instead of acquiring what this team really needed (defensive depth), we take 1 step forward with a veteran Cup winner in Pahlsson, but 2 BIG steps back by losing Hodgson and getting a fringe NHL player in return.

Archived