The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian Talk

Bilbro Baggins

This team doesn't need another powerforward. Sure we got pushed around last year, but we've already improved enough with Higgins and Booth playing a top-6 role over Samuelsson and Raymond.

Last year we had a "tough", "gritty" 3rd line that hardly ever scored in the playoffs but this season we were looking fine with 2 20-goal scorers (a common theme amongst the last 5 cup winners) on our third line who would contribute when our top-6 were shutdown again.

Instead of acquiring what this team really needed (defensive depth), we take 1 step forward with a veteran Cup winner in Pahlsson, but 2 BIG steps back by losing Hodgson and getting a fringe NHL player in return.

Please, lets not taint this thread with this kind of talk. There are plenty of other threads in the general section where you can post this.

The deal has been done, Kassian is now a Canucks rookie/prospect. Let's get excited about what he can bring to the table.

Welcome to the 'Nucks Zack. Please don't buckle under the pressure of our insane fan base's expectations of anyone coming in return of the Mighty CoHo.

So is our WCE 2.0 now officially prepared?

Rodin/Jensen - Schroeder - Kassian

I guess it could be said but I wouldn't really say that Schroeder is much like BMO and none of the wingers are anything like Naslund. We're set to have a kid line in a few years that's got great potential to do amazing things for years to come. No need to make comparisons to our former players.

Ehhh, no. We have many Kassian like players in our farm and in the OHL.

Keep dreaming. We have no one in our system - Europe, CHL, ECHL, AHL, or NHL - that plays like Kassian.

Sure, we have players that are as big as Kassian - I'll list them for you.

Archibald - has Kassian's size, grit and mean streak - but lacks Kassian's skills and speed

Jensen - has Kassian's size, skill and speed - but lacks Kassian's grit and mean streak

Grenier - has Kassian's size - but lacks Kassian's grit, mean streak, skill and speed

LaBate - has Kassian's size and speed - but lacks Kassian's skill, grit and mean streak

Nobody in our system is the complete package that Kassian is of size, skill, speed, grit and mean streak as a power forward. Kassian is a rare complete package as a power forward. Jensen is a skilled player, but he is more akin to being a Naslund-type player than a Bertuzzi-type player. Kassian is a Bertuzzi-type player.

This team doesn't need another powerforward. Sure we got pushed around last year, but we've already improved enough with Higgins and Booth playing a top-6 role over Samuelsson and Raymond.

Last year we had a "tough", "gritty" 3rd line that hardly ever scored in the playoffs but this season we were looking fine with 2 20-goal scorers (a common theme amongst the last 5 cup winners) on our third line who would contribute when our top-6 were shutdown again.

Instead of acquiring what this team really needed (defensive depth), we take 1 step forward with a veteran Cup winner in Pahlsson, but 2 BIG steps back by losing Hodgson and getting a fringe NHL player in return.

Nope. Hodgson could not help us this season. He's not a shutdown center like Pahlsson who would free up the offensive minutes for Kesler. Basically the only reason Hodgson was able to produce like he did is because we sacrificed Ryan Kesler's offensive minutes so that Hodgson could get the sheltered minutes he got.

Kesler was out there for 20 minutes of shut down mode against the other team's top line so that Hodgson could get his 10-13 minutes of offensive ice time. Now with Pahlsson, we can get Kesler those offensive minutes that Hodgson ate up. Obviously, Kesler would perform better than Hodgson with the same easy minutes.

That's what happened last year when Kesler broke out - he got the offensive minutes instead of shutdown when Manny came over - except this time around, we have Manny still on the 4th line, and now have Pahlsson on the 3rd line. This move is essentially freeing up Ryan Kesler for offense instead of having Cody play those minutes. I like that.

Kassian addresses the team's need for a power forward with size, speed, skill, grit and mean streak. These players with the complete package are rare. Hodgson became expendable when we got Pahlsson to play 3rd line center because he could not play wing, and we have 2 top centers in the league playing ahead of him in the log jam.

What I will miss from Hodgson is the 2nd unit PP quarterback. We don't have that offensive center to play on the 2nd unit anymore. However, addition of Pahlsson and Kassian will greatly improve our 5 on 5 play, as Kassian's real underrated skillset is that he is tough to knock off the puck (perfect for our puck possession game) and that he is great along the boards at getting pucks (also perfect for our puck possession game).

So my question is when we see him in a Nucks uniform? Since he's already in the AHL are we going to just send him to Chicago or are we going to recall him now and get him some more NHL experience before the playoff?

He will likely play right away IMO. He was buried under alot of depth on the sabers. The Canucks don't have the winger depth for him to not play right away.

Keep dreaming. We have no one in our system - Europe, CHL, ECHL, AHL, or NHL - that plays like Kassian.

Sure, we have players that are as big as Kassian - I'll list them for you.

Archibald - has Kassian's size, grit and mean streak - but lacks Kassian's skills and speed

Jensen - has Kassian's size, skill and speed - but lacks Kassian's grit and mean streak

Grenier - has Kassian's size - but lacks Kassian's grit, mean streak, skill and speed

LaBate - has Kassian's size and speed - but lacks Kassian's skill, grit and mean streak

Nobody in our system is the complete package that Kassian is of size, skill, speed, grit and mean streak as a power forward. Kassian is a rare complete package as a power forward. Jensen is a skilled player, but he is more akin to being a Naslund-type player than a Bertuzzi-type player. Kassian is a Bertuzzi-type player.

So you're saying Jensen-Schroeder-Kassian is the WCE reincarnate... :emot-parrot:

Anyone feel bad for him? There's a lot of pressure on this kid. Imagine what the fans would do if he doesn't pan out.

I'm still beyond pissed at the Hodgson deal... but what can you do? I'm just a rambling guy behind a computer..

I hope Kassian can prove the doubters wrong and provide that grit and scoring ability we sorely needed.

Nope. Hodgson could not help us this season. He's not a shutdown center like Pahlsson who would free up the offensive minutes for Kesler. Basically the only reason Hodgson was able to produce like he did is because we sacrificed Ryan Kesler's offensive minutes so that Hodgson could get the sheltered minutes he got.

Kesler was out there for 20 minutes of shut down mode against the other team's top line so that Hodgson could get his 10-13 minutes of offensive ice time. Now with Pahlsson, we can get Kesler those offensive minutes that Hodgson ate up. Obviously, Kesler would perform better than Hodgson with the same easy minutes.

That's what happened last year when Kesler broke out - he got the offensive minutes instead of shutdown when Manny came over - except this time around, we have Manny still on the 4th line, and now have Pahlsson on the 3rd line. This move is essentially freeing up Ryan Kesler for offense instead of having Cody play those minutes. I like that.

Kassian addresses the team's need for a power forward with size, speed, skill, grit and mean streak. These players with the complete package are rare. Hodgson became expendable when we got Pahlsson to play 3rd line center because he could not play wing, and we have 2 top centers in the league playing ahead of him in the log jam.

What I will miss from Hodgson is the 2nd unit PP quarterback. We don't have that offensive center to play on the 2nd unit anymore. However, addition of Pahlsson and Kassian will greatly improve our 5 on 5 play, as Kassian's real underrated skillset is that he is tough to knock off the puck (perfect for our puck possession game) and that he is great along the boards at getting pucks (also perfect for our puck possession game).

So who was out there on the powerplay with the Sedins? What are LaPierre and Malholtra rtoles on the Canucks? Let's hope we don't hope Kassian will not turn another Bernier. Pahlsson is also 5 years older than when he won a Cup with the Ducks and he has scored only 2 goals this year.

Anyone feel bad for him?  There's a lot of pressure on this kid.  Imagine what the fans would do if he doesn't pan out.

I'm still beyond pissed at the Hodgson deal... but what can you do?  I'm just a rambling guy behind a computer..

I hope Kassian can prove the doubters wrong and provide that grit and scoring ability we sorely needed.

Buffalo tried to get Kassien playing with more Grid with no result that is why they traded him.

Good post. I would like to think Kassian is a Lucic mini as it stands right now.

So who was out there on the powerplay with the Sedins? What are LaPierre and Malholtra rtoles on the Canucks? Let's hope we don't hope Kassian will not turn another Bernier. Pahlsson is also 5 years older than when he won a Cup with the Ducks and he has scored only 2 goals this year.

come one. do the research before comparing a player to a player he is nothing like except for their size. Bernier has almost 0 mean streak and is not the greatest skater. Kassian is mean as hell and is actually a very good skater for a man his size. stop throwing these comparisons around because your upset

So stoked on Zack. One of my favourite players of that draft. Unlike Bernier, he's already proven he has great speed. The fact that he is on pace for 40 goals in the AHL this year despite the team not being stacked & the fact he is on pace for 10 goals this year in the NHL despite having Matt Ellis as his usual center and playing under 12 minutes per game? He's gonna be good.

He's also got those deadpan eyes which tell me only one thing: he's here to win.

As for all you whiners saying Cody can't set up the 2nd PP anymore, well, he was on pace for 7 PP assists, Reinprecht can probably handle that + Gragnani is great puck mover so the 2nd PP is better already. I am gonna miss watching him develop, but for this year the Canucks are still a better team.

Zack Attack is huge and he's gonna be great! Also the perfect linemate for Schroeder in the future who always plays better with bigger wingers (going all the way back to his days with Desbiens in his rookie playoff & JVR at the WJC).

STOKED.

I feel sorry for him having to come in and fill Cody's shoes. Not that I think they were huge shoes to fill at this point but trying to fill the elusion that we traded a already allstar hof for a career AHL'er.

It's funny to think that for years I have been reading about people complaining that we lost Lucic in the draft and that we have no canadian "big boy" to lead this franchise. Now we get one with arguably better CHL and AHL hands then Lucic and everyone is about to strangle Gillis in the streets.

He's 21 put up great numbers (better than Cody) in the AHL and is NHL ready. Welcome to this team Kassian I'm stoked to see what you can show this team and prove everyone wrong. I for one am on your band wagon :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel:

I think we can expect our powerplay to go back to what it was doing last (which was also 1st in the league) by having Kesler and the Sedins playing the majority of the minutes on the first unit.

Anyone feel bad for him? There's a lot of pressure on this kid. Imagine what the fans would do if he doesn't pan out.

I'm still beyond pissed at the Hodgson deal... but what can you do? I'm just a rambling guy behind a computer..

I am just hoping that he is the kind of player that thrives in those conditions which I think it is possible that he can easily become a fan favourite if he makes big hits, fights and scores a goal here and there. We'll just have to wait and see if he can feed off of the crowd or be fed to them...

BizNasty has tweeted that he asked 9 (kassian) to fight because it was his job

anyways, uhm.. i watched the first period and then i had to leave.

how was he as he settled in with the team with the 2nd and 3rd period?

Lapierre and Malhotra were stuck on the same line genius

coho had more ozone faceoffs time than henrik and kesler

Archived