412 replies to this topic

#31 one night

one night

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

Nope. Hodgson could not help us this season. He's not a shutdown center like Pahlsson who would free up the offensive minutes for Kesler. Basically the only reason Hodgson was able to produce like he did is because we sacrificed Ryan Kesler's offensive minutes so that Hodgson could get the sheltered minutes he got.

Kesler was out there for 20 minutes of shut down mode against the other team's top line so that Hodgson could get his 10-13 minutes of offensive ice time. Now with Pahlsson, we can get Kesler those offensive minutes that Hodgson ate up. Obviously, Kesler would perform better than Hodgson with the same easy minutes.

That's what happened last year when Kesler broke out - he got the offensive minutes instead of shutdown when Manny came over - except this time around, we have Manny still on the 4th line, and now have Pahlsson on the 3rd line. This move is essentially freeing up Ryan Kesler for offense instead of having Cody play those minutes. I like that.

Kassian addresses the team's need for a power forward with size, speed, skill, grit and mean streak. These players with the complete package are rare. Hodgson became expendable when we got Pahlsson to play 3rd line center because he could not play wing, and we have 2 top centers in the league playing ahead of him in the log jam.

What I will miss from Hodgson is the 2nd unit PP quarterback. We don't have that offensive center to play on the 2nd unit anymore. However, addition of Pahlsson and Kassian will greatly improve our 5 on 5 play, as Kassian's real underrated skillset is that he is tough to knock off the puck (perfect for our puck possession game) and that he is great along the boards at getting pucks (also perfect for our puck possession game).

So who was out there on the powerplay with the Sedins? What are LaPierre and Malholtra rtoles on the Canucks? Let's hope we don't hope Kassian will not turn another Bernier. Pahlsson is also 5 years older than when he won a Cup with the Ducks and he has scored only 2 goals this year.

#32 one night

one night

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:00 AM

Anyone feel bad for him?††There's a lot of pressure on this kid.††Imagine what the fans would do if he doesn't pan out.

I'm still beyond pissed at the Hodgson deal... but what can you do?††I'm just a rambling guy behind a computer..

I hope Kassian can prove the doubters wrong and provide that grit and scoring ability we sorely needed.

Buffalo tried to get Kassien playing with more Grid with no result that is why they traded him.

#33 Rhinogator

Rhinogator

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

Nope. Hodgson could not help us this season. He's not a shutdown center like Pahlsson who would free up the offensive minutes for Kesler. Basically the only reason Hodgson was able to produce like he did is because we sacrificed Ryan Kesler's offensive minutes so that Hodgson could get the sheltered minutes he got.

Kesler was out there for 20 minutes of shut down mode against the other team's top line so that Hodgson could get his 10-13 minutes of offensive ice time. Now with Pahlsson, we can get Kesler those offensive minutes that Hodgson ate up. Obviously, Kesler would perform better than Hodgson with the same easy minutes.

That's what happened last year when Kesler broke out - he got the offensive minutes instead of shutdown when Manny came over - except this time around, we have Manny still on the 4th line, and now have Pahlsson on the 3rd line. This move is essentially freeing up Ryan Kesler for offense instead of having Cody play those minutes. I like that.

Kassian addresses the team's need for a power forward with size, speed, skill, grit and mean streak. These players with the complete package are rare. Hodgson became expendable when we got Pahlsson to play 3rd line center because he could not play wing, and we have 2 top centers in the league playing ahead of him in the log jam.

What I will miss from Hodgson is the 2nd unit PP quarterback. We don't have that offensive center to play on the 2nd unit anymore. However, addition of Pahlsson and Kassian will greatly improve our 5 on 5 play, as Kassian's real underrated skillset is that he is tough to knock off the puck (perfect for our puck possession game) and that he is great along the boards at getting pucks (also perfect for our puck possession game).

Good post. I would like to think Kassian is a Lucic mini as it stands right now.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#34 Lazy but Talented

Lazy but Talented

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

So who was out there on the powerplay with the Sedins? What are LaPierre and Malholtra rtoles on the Canucks? Let's hope we don't hope Kassian will not turn another Bernier. Pahlsson is also 5 years older than when he won a Cup with the Ducks and he has scored only 2 goals this year.

come one. do the research before comparing a player to a player he is nothing like except for their size. Bernier has almost 0 mean streak and is not the greatest skater. Kassian is mean as hell and is actually a very good skater for a man his size. stop throwing these comparisons around because your upset

#35 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:12 AM

So stoked on Zack. One of my favourite players of that draft. Unlike Bernier, he's already proven he has great speed. The fact that he is on pace for 40 goals in the AHL this year despite the team not being stacked & the fact he is on pace for 10 goals this year in the NHL despite having Matt Ellis as his usual center and playing under 12 minutes per game? He's gonna be good.

He's also got those deadpan eyes which tell me only one thing: he's here to win.

As for all you whiners saying Cody can't set up the 2nd PP anymore, well, he was on pace for 7 PP assists, Reinprecht can probably handle that + Gragnani is great puck mover so the 2nd PP is better already. I am gonna miss watching him develop, but for this year the Canucks are still a better team.

Zack Attack is huge and he's gonna be great! Also the perfect linemate for Schroeder in the future who always plays better with bigger wingers (going all the way back to his days with Desbiens in his rookie playoff & JVR at the WJC).

STOKED.

#36 Z. Kassian

Z. Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:23 AM

I feel sorry for him having to come in and fill Cody's shoes. Not that I think they were huge shoes to fill at this point but trying to fill the elusion that we traded a already allstar hof for a career AHL'er.

It's funny to think that for years I have been reading about people complaining that we lost Lucic in the draft and that we have no canadian "big boy" to lead this franchise. Now we get one with arguably better CHL and AHL hands then Lucic and everyone is about to strangle Gillis in the streets.

He's 21 put up great numbers (better than Cody) in the AHL and is NHL ready. Welcome to this team Kassian I'm stoked to see what you can show this team and prove everyone wrong. I for one am on your band wagon :towel: :towel: :towel: :towel:
Posted Image

#37 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:23 AM

I think we can expect our powerplay to go back to what it was doing last (which was also 1st in the league) by having Kesler and the Sedins playing the majority of the minutes on the first unit.

Anyone feel bad for him? There's a lot of pressure on this kid. Imagine what the fans would do if he doesn't pan out.

I'm still beyond pissed at the Hodgson deal... but what can you do? I'm just a rambling guy behind a computer..

I hope Kassian can prove the doubters wrong and provide that grit and scoring ability we sorely needed.

I am just hoping that he is the kind of player that thrives in those conditions which I think it is possible that he can easily become a fan favourite if he makes big hits, fights and scores a goal here and there. We'll just have to wait and see if he can feed off of the crowd or be fed to them...

#38 Kassian

Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

He's looking awesome so far, just what I expected. Gonna be a fan favourite in the future.

Posted Image

#39 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,338 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

This kid is intense, hope he smashes Biznasty's twitter.

#40 Its-Hod(g)son

Its-Hod(g)son

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:41 PM

BizNasty has tweeted that he asked 9 (kassian) to fight because it was his job

anyways, uhm.. i watched the first period and then i had to leave.
how was he as he settled in with the team with the 2nd and 3rd period?

Lapierre and Malhotra were stuck on the same line genius
coho had more ozone faceoffs time than henrik and kesler

#41 bluesy_shoes

bluesy_shoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:27 AM

Great first game. Really impressed. His touch passes were awesome tonight. Whoever said he doesn't have a head for the game probably watched him in a weak system. I hope he can keep this up and that he doesn't lose focus.

Posted Image

bluesy_shoes

#42 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:55 AM

Some things that I noticed from Kassian's first day as a Canuck:
  • Seemed to gel easily with any line that he was thrown on.
  • Already has good skating ability and is very agile for a man of his size.
  • Made several nice passes out there and tends to read the play quite well.
  • Very hard to knock off of the puck and uses his size well to protect the puck also
  • I like the fact that Kassian doesn't sound like he has a severe lack of intelligence in his interviews like Lucic does.

#43 Southern Mail

Southern Mail

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:09 AM

Kassian had a good first game with his new team ... I think that Canucks fans can exhale now ;)

#44 22sedins33

22sedins33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:43 AM

Did anyone else notice how much he licks his lips in interviews? It kind of threw me off a bit. I'm not hating... just seeing if I'm the only one haha
The day has only just begun and already your mind has snapped like a dry and brittle twig...

#45 TheFleetwoodMack

TheFleetwoodMack

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

Kassian appeared to be as advertised. If he can show passing ability as good as he had with the Peterborough Petes, I'll be ecstatic about this trade.

#46 Trelane42

Trelane42

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

1st game review:

-good skater for a big man (not as fast as Oreskovich but much better than Bitz and other behemoths)
-decent hands, good judgment to go along with accurate passing but could have held on to the puck longer on occasion (likely nerves)
-showed glimpses of a developing cycle game but there is more to give
-best sign--chances were there when he played with more skilled players

Realistically he's a bottom 6 forward for at least this year and the next. Up to him after that. Like all players his age he needs confidence and some results to prove to himself he belongs.

#47 Go Go Canucks Go

Go Go Canucks Go

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

He fit in very seemlessly on the 2nd 4th and 1st line throughout the game. Very impressive.

We never saw Cody have this kind of chemistry with anyone on the team this year.

Didn't get knocked off the puck like Cody would in the defensive and offensive zones. His vision is good too, Not CoHo good but still impressive.
Aaron Rome 1 goal in 114 games and oh yeah 10 assists. Thats 11 points people..that's a decent .0964 points per game average. He's a power play expert at turn overs and wide shots. He's a depth defenceman for anyone looking to win the stanley cup. A key here is he is very slow and takes timely penalties because he is an expert at head games. Clearly the most underrated underachiever of all time. He also has a mean 5 oclock shadow. MMMMM Aaron Rome goes down smooth like an unshaked can of Guinness that has been in the garage for awhile. MMM Aaron Rome put him on your powerplay, let him kill penalties, a stud...a steed... half cro magnon man part time bowling champion but supremely talented Defenceman. Rome for the Norris! I think Rome was solid like Rory Fitzpatrick or Eric Weinrich...Rome could use a yellow visor for that matter ...really give him the edge

#48 Stark

Stark

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

He fit in very seemlessly on the 2nd 4th and 1st line throughout the game. Very impressive.

We never saw Cody have this kind of chemistry with anyone on the team this year.

Didn't get knocked off the puck like Cody would in the defensive and offensive zones. His vision is good too, Not CoHo good but still impressive.

His ability to be a good fit through the entire lineup gives us so much flexibility and depth. We can shuffle the lines depending on the kind of team we're facing, and still be solid throughout.
Posted Image

R.I.P. LB RR PD

#49 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

"The first shift with the Sedins is something I will never forget. It was pretty special. They're two great players. It was an honour to play with them."

- Zack Kassian

#50 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 35,969 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

My favorite part about his game last night was his refusal to fight bissonette, it shows he wants to be more than just a goon/3rd/4th liner, he wanted to show that he's more than just a guy who drops the gloves, and a maturity beyond that of someone like Beach, who would have fought to try to impress the brass in his first game. It quells some of my fears for sure.

Long term, cody will still be the better player, but at least we didn't just get another version of Beach in return, we got something in the middle/closer to cody. I hope Kass keeps it up and continues to improve. it would be nice to see him evolve into a bert type player (maybe with a nicer demeanour/no controversy)

#51 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

One thing that stuck out to me that I didn't think I'd notice with Kassian was his passing/playmaking ability. It wasn't Cody-like but he seemed like he could make some things happen in the offensive zone.

Posted Image

#52 Faloth

Faloth

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:12 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciVzPGf4xLQ

Man Kesler should watch this video on how to break into the middle and snap a shot past the D-man.... I can't count how many times Kes tries this and it gets deflected away or knocked over the glass or misses the net entirely.. Kes is the MAN! but god dam I love seeing this shot work!

#53 Ron Swansons Moustache

Ron Swansons Moustache

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

One thing that stuck out to me that I didn't think I'd notice with Kassian was his passing/playmaking ability. It wasn't Cody-like but he seemed like he could make some things happen in the offensive zone.

i was quite impressed with his first game he didnt seem out of place at all maybe he could be the set up man for Booth and Kesler if they develop some chemistry look out!
http://Posted Image

#54 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:22 PM

Does anyone know if @ZackKassian is legit?

#55 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

Buffalo tried to get Kassien playing with more Grid with no result that is why they traded him.

Thats the first I heard of that. I heard they traded Kassian away because they had a chance to land Cody Hodgson. Nothing more.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#56 Zack Kassian #9

Zack Kassian #9

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:43 AM

I was very impressed with his first game. He displayed some of his playmaking ability last night which was very promising. If he ever moved up to the 2nd line permanently then this will be useful with two lesser playmakers in Kesler and Booth.

Would still love to see a line of Higgins Kesler and Kassian. Perfect mix of everything you would want in a line. Grit, balance, size and speed. Higgins is a very smart player who can make some nifty passes as well.

He has ton of skill, these are just some of the things he can do from this year.

Overally I'm just totally excited about this kid and hope he can be consistent.

Edited by Zack Kassian #9, 01 March 2012 - 12:45 AM.

#57 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

Any of you guys think MG is considering sending Kassian down next year so he can develop better, or guys think he's gonna stay up here? I personally think he'll get sent down next season and called up after 20 games then stay with the team.......when MG made the trade and reporters asked about Kassian, he said something along the lines of 'he'll be on the team for now'.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#58 dbam09

dbam09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

Idk. You could argue that he doesnt need the AHL. All be it a small sample size, but in his first 30 games in the AHL he was scoring at a 40+goal clip and was near ppg. Thats better numbers than Hodgson or Schroeder had or have in the AHL. Plus his size allows him to be effective on the 3rd of 4th line RIGHT now, so even if he's not scoring he'll still have a spot on the roster barring unforseen circumstances.

#59 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 35,969 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

kassian will continue to develop on the canucks. unless he really stinks it up he's not going down.

#60 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

Any of you guys think MG is considering sending Kassian down next year so he can develop better, or guys think he's gonna stay up here? I personally think he'll get sent down next season and called up after 20 games then stay with the team.......when MG made the trade and reporters asked about Kassian, he said something along the lines of 'he'll be on the team for now'.

I highly doubt Kass is sent down. Unless something really bad happens. I see him being an important piece in the playoffs and developing offensively in the NHL next year.

Cody needed a bit more time in the AHL because he wasn't scoring at Kassian's pace. (Pace for 40 goals, 70 points).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.