412 replies to this topic

#61 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

This team doesn't need another powerforward. Sure we got pushed around last year, but we've already improved enough with Higgins and Booth playing a top-6 role over Samuelsson and Raymond.

Last year we had a "tough", "gritty" 3rd line that hardly ever scored in the playoffs but this season we were looking fine with 2 20-goal scorers (a common theme amongst the last 5 cup winners) on our third line who would contribute when our top-6 were shutdown again.

Instead of acquiring what this team really needed (defensive depth), we take 1 step forward with a veteran Cup winner in Pahlsson, but 2 BIG steps back by losing Hodgson and getting a fringe NHL player in return.

Everyone is moaning that we lost our version of Chicago's '09-'10 Kris Versteeg (you know, that 20g 30a 50pt 3rd line player). What those people are missing are the similarities between Kassian & another member of that 3rd line that played a major role in the Blackhawks Cup win.

That 6'3" 205lbs guy came in as a 20 year old (December D.O.B.) and promptly put up 11g 8a 19pts -9 in his first 25gp at the AHL level. He got recalled and put up 6g 5a 11pts & 33 hits in 29gp on the 3rd highest scoring team in the NHL that year but when the playoffs rolled around?

He "only" put up 2g 3a 5pts in 17gp but he had 41 solid, heavy hits and one of his two goals was the GWG of game #2 in the Stanley Cup final. He played a big, albeit underrated, part of the 'Canes' Cup win in '05-'06.

That's Kassian's floor - Andrew Ladd. His ceiling? Who knows? But if people want to throw around names like Yzerman & Sakic in the same sentence as CoHo (crazy to me - Chris Drury is more like it) then people could throw the name of Brendan Shanahan into the conversation on Kassian (just as crazy).

Edited by Millerdraft, 01 March 2012 - 06:31 PM.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#62 Adamth

Adamth

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

I was a bit sad to see Cody go- but I'm now more curious to see how the new cup ring fellow will turn out to be. He might answer our Cody kinda guy questions - with Cody being like the young Joe Sakic. As for Zack well enough positive points said. I wanna see this guy rip the guts out of great teams.

#63 CanucksBen

CanucksBen

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:30 AM

Had great chances today, he's gonna score soon the way hes playing.

Posted Image

"Skatin' around, bunch of mice on the ice, showin' off the moves we learn'd"

If I make a joke, and it hurts your feelings, eff off you pansy b*tches

#64 Kassian

Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

Any of you guys think MG is considering sending Kassian down next year so he can develop better, or guys think he's gonna stay up here? I personally think he'll get sent down next season and called up after 20 games then stay with the team.......when MG made the trade and reporters asked about Kassian, he said something along the lines of 'he'll be on the team for now'.

Having Bitz sent down indicates that Kass will be up here for the rest of the season.

If we would have got another forward in the trade I would say yes but we need this dude for the playoffs. It'll be better for him(and his career) if he experiences a long playoff run.

We can't really determine or draw conclusions where he'll be next year. Who knows. My guess would be he stays.

Posted Image

#65 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,412 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:29 PM

Kassian's going to be such a huge help in the playoffs.

If the Sedins are getting handled at any point, even though they are tough. Put Kassian on there line and he can take care of the dirty stuff after the whistles.

Every team hates Burrows and Kesler and want to kill them. Put them on a line with Kassian and let them loose, now they have some back-up if a brawl breaks out.

Subbancopy.jpg

#66 CanucksBen

CanucksBen

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:59 PM

POPULAR

I bet one +1 that Kass scores next game against Buffalo, any takers?

Posted Image

#67 CanucksBen

CanucksBen

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:34 PM

You all owe my pluses.

Congrats Kassian!

Posted Image

#68 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:37 PM

what a shot

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#69 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

1st point as a Canuck on the assist on Booth's goal

1st goal as a Canuck

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#70 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,412 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

Three words:

1) Beast

2) Monster

3) Killer

Subbancopy.jpg

#71 Taelin

Taelin

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

2 point night for Zack!

#72 One one two

One one two

Got skipped

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,878 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:33 AM

I've always liked this guy... Now I'm starting to love him. Always been a fan of power-forward type players with some skill. I was only a kid when Bertuzzi was here (to be fair, I guess I'm still a kid), and hardly remember anything from that time, but I do remember he was my favourite player.

I hope he gets to stay on the second line to start next game, but if he starts to get lazy or whatever he should be demoted quickly. Don't want a young guy like him to take that spot for granted. ;)

Edited by One one two, 04 March 2012 - 12:34 AM.

#73 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:44 AM

Remember guys - Zack Kassian was traded once before in his junior career - to the Windsor Spitfires.

Windsor acquired Zack for their playoff run - they won the Memorial Cup. This kid has been coveted by contenders before to be a difference maker and he knows what people want from him when they trade for him and what it takes to win it all (though it was at the junior level). Basically what I'm trying to say is - he's been through this ride before, and came out on top.

This kid knows how valuable he is and what is valuable about him. Very excited to see him in the playoffs.

#74 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fElo4CcRbKc

1st point as a Canuck on the assist on Booth's goal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVwXq2zjHwo&feature=player_embedded

1st goal as a Canuck

I'm not sure if people remember all the loose pucks just layin' there in front of Thomas in the finals last year but I, for one, am glad that we now have three guys in Booth-Kesler-Kassian that will drive the net (and have the strength to get there) looking for the dirty goals on the inside. I was going crazy watching those glorious possible 2nd chance opportunities turn into easy transition breakout passes for Boston...

Edited by Millerdraft, 04 March 2012 - 11:55 AM.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#75 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

Nice hard shot, love it!

Posted Image

#76 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

Is it just me or do Bert and Kass look relatively alike? Except Bert is Italian and nearly 20 years older. Same look in their eyes though.
Posted ImagePosted Image

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#77 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:43 PM

It sure was nice to see our second line producing some big goals last night. Hopefully AV has some sense to keep these guys together to build up some chemistry before the playoffs because we sure can use that secondary goal support down the stretch. I for one am proud to say that I was a fan of this trade from the start. I was already familiar with what kind of player ZK9 is and what he could bring to this team. As you noticed he can make any of our lines better whether it be crashing and banging and being physical on the fourth, or making plays and putting up points with limited ice time on the scoring lines. ZK9 can help us in so many ways and the best part is he is only going to get better. That being said last night we went down early and the team put themselves in a pretty bad position for the rest of the game. If I could choose a few positive things about the game it would be that we managed to score 3 five on five goals while Buffalo was clogging up the neutral zone after they took the lead. Another would be that our second line was the reason we got on the score sheet. That really hasn't happened consistently in a while, so here's to hoping we can continue getting some fire power from that line.

Edited by JohnLennon, 04 March 2012 - 11:44 PM.

#78 canuckfan_sincebirth

canuckfan_sincebirth

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:58 PM

Ehhh, no. We have many Kassian like players in our farm and in the OHL.

lol like who? If we did he woulda been up there along time ago

#79 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,543 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

Booth-Kesler-Kassian was amazing, and I hope AV keeps that line together. 3 big powerful fast hitting guys with offensive talent. it's like our own version of the legion of doom. It looks like this trade will work out afterall. cody will still probably have a better career, but kassian's performance so far has made the bitter pill much easier to swallow.

#80 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,202 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

Everyone is moaning that we lost our version of Chicago's '09-'10 Kris Versteeg (you know, that 20g 30a 50pt 3rd line player).  What those people are missing are the similarities between Kassian & another member of that 3rd line that played a major role in the Blackhawks Cup win.

That 6'3" 205lbs guy came in as a 20 year old (December D.O.B.) and promptly put up 11g 8a 19pts -9 in his first 25gp at the AHL level.  He got recalled and put up 6g 5a 11pts & 33 hits in 29gp on the 3rd highest scoring team in the NHL that year but when the playoffs rolled around?

He "only" put up 2g 3a 5pts in 17gp but he had 41 solid, heavy hits and one of his two goals was the GWG of game #2 in the Stanley Cup final.  He played a big, albeit underrated, part of the 'Canes' Cup win in '05-'06.

That's Kassian's floor - Andrew Ladd.  His ceiling?  Who knows?  But if people want to throw around names like Yzerman & Sakic in the same sentence as CoHo (crazy to me - Chris Drury is more like it) then people could throw the name of Brendan Shanahan into the conversation on Kassian (just as crazy).

I was also thinking Andrew Ladd as a comparison.

Similar scenario to ours in Carolina and Chicago, player cap-wise and style-wise, although those teams seemed a bit deeper at the time.

Hopefully Kassian has the same result as Ladd in his rookie year. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#81 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

<p>

Booth-Kesler-Kassian was amazing, and I hope AV keeps that line together. 3 big powerful fast hitting guys with offensive talent. it's like our own version of the legion of doom. It looks like this trade will work out afterall. cody will still probably have a better career, but kassian's performance so far has made the bitter pill much easier to swallow.

Burrows and Higgins aren't that shabby in that role either.

#82 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,543 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

burr will always be the 3rd twin, and higgins isn't as dynamic.

#83 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

Hodgson pointless in the 4 games he's played for Buffalo since being traded and is +2.

I'm kind of relieved that Hodgson didn't light it up on Buffalo right away which would have put a lot of pressure on Kassian. Instead, Kassian has some breathing room after getting his first assist and goal last game.

#84 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,543 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:34 PM

cody would have had a number of assists by now if Ennis would shoot at the open net instead of passing it back into the crowd of people in front of the net, or if either line mate could bury any of the glorious chances they've had as a result of his many prime passes. then again, if cody capitalized on some of his opportunities he wouldn't of had to worry about them producing either.

#85 4thlineplug

4thlineplug

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:41 PM

hodgson was flat out bad tonight. exposed defensively as he is too slow at the moment, and offensively can't do anything against the top checkers and d-man. only thing he can do right is the PP but still has no points to show for
Sig too big.

#86 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

Can you blame him? Look at the mileage Cody had to travel:

Flew with the Canucks on their giant cross-continental 6-game road trip to the final destination Phoenix then got traded => flew to Buffalo for a physical => flew back to Anaheim to start a cross-continental 4-game road trip with the Sabres

Kid's not the greatest skater to begin with - if he was flat tonight, pretty obvious that he's dead tired. The adrenaline from getting traded and having to play in Vancouver may have kept him going the 3 games before, but against Winnepeg (although it was the biggest game on the trip for Buffalo) Cody probably had nothing left in the tank.

I don't think he's ready to be a top 6 center that can provide consistent secondary scoring, but no reason to bash because he's a no show one particular night.

If you start comparing night for night Kassian and Hodgson, it's pointless. We'll know when all is said and done.

#87 4thlineplug

4thlineplug

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

ill bash him whenever i want tyvm
Sig too big.

#88 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,543 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

how about you do it in a hodgson thread, this is a kassian thread and we should all go back to discussing kassian in here.

#89 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

Kassian didn't look that great on the 2nd line against Dallas. I saw 2 bad passes to the middle to no one. Resulted in Canucks getting hemmed into their zone.

Put him on the 3rd/4th line so there's not so much pressure on the guy and let him develop (he's a rookie). I don't think he deserves to leap frog over Higgins (unsung hero).

#90 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 70,508 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

Kassian didn't look that great on the 2nd line against Dallas. I saw 2 bad passes to the middle to no one. Resulted in Canucks getting hemmed into their zone.

Put him on the 3rd/4th line so there's not so much pressure on the guy and let him develop (he's a rookie). I don't think he deserves to leap frog over Higgins (unsung hero).

Totally agree with you!

307mg00.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.