The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The False Rationale To Trade CoHo

MacdeesSnipinGs

After going through the COHO and Kassian threads the dominant rationale among the crowd that likes this trade to bring in Kassian is that he brings an element of "toughness" to the line-up that we didn't previously have, and that COHO didn't have a spot behind Kes and Hank moving into the future.

Fair enough COHO ain't exact 6,3 230! However i think these arguments are in many ways flawed.

The leading hitter on the Canucks is Lappy. He has 178 hits in 63 games. or 2.83 hits per game, averaging just over 11 TOI per game. He also has 7 fighting majors, scrapping in just over 11% of all games this year. He has 118PIM averaging 1.87pim/gm

Zach Kassian on the other hand has 39 hits in 27 games or 1.44 hits per game, averaging 12 TOI per game, he has 2 fighting majors, fighting just 7.5% of all games this year and has accumulated 20PIM averaging 0.74PIM/gm

Info used from: http://espn.go.com/n...lties/count/121

I understand that fighting, hits, and PIM, don't mean 'toughness', but a direct correlation of how you play the game can be deduced.

Also, Lappy was acquired for a 3rd round pick

Kassian was acquired for well... you know

To finish this point, toughness does not have to be acquired by trading your rookie of the year candidate, and IMO a point-a-game player in a couple years.

Travis Moen for 2nd round Pick? Raymond for Moen straight up?

Other ways to acquire this much desired toughness!

Second argument: "CoHo has Nowhere to play behind Kes and Dan, and will always have a limited role, with limited Ice time".

Cant the theory of having Schneids for Luo, be applied for having Coho as inexpensive insurance policy of sorts, god forbid injury to Kes or Dan. A guy to step into a top 6 role at the drop of the hat?

Ask Pittsburgh with Crosby, Malkin and Stall how that's working out.

I also feel like people don't truly understand the Loss of offensive Production with CoHo gone.

As much as i love Kes this aint a knock on him, just illustrating the offensive prowess of CoHo

Ryan Kesler has 19 goals in 58 games or .32 goals per game. He also Averages just over 20 TOI per game with a total of 1,163:10 Minutes on the ice this season. Averaging 1 goal for every 61 minutes of ice time. Not to mention averaging 3.26 TOI of PP time/gm with 7 of his goals coming on the PP, playing with Hank and Dank.

Coho has 16 goals in 63 games or .25 goals per game. He averaged just 12.43 TOI per game with a total of 801:56 Minutes of ice time averaging 1 goal for every 50 minutes of ice time. CoHo played 1:50 TOI of PP time and had a remarkable 5 ppg, in limited time without the sedins.

Info used from: http://www.nhl.com/i...wName=timeOnIce

Cody Hodgson this year is a much more efficient goal scorer than Kes. Obviously Kes brings incredible intangibles to the game but loosing this kind of offense to you lineup cannot be understated.

I completely understand that sometime hard decisions have to be made, but trading away this stud, for an unproven guy who has 3 career NHL goals stings a little. Obviously stats can be deceiving but they help gain a better understanding of what a player brings to the table.

Hopefully GMMG proves me wrong and we can laugh at this, like the "get rid of burrows thread from 2008" when Kassian is lighting it up as the Canucks version of "Lucic 2.0!"

But for right now this one just stings!

I agree that if we needed toughness and grit we could've gone a number of different ways rather than us trading a Calder Trophy candidate; However, Kassian has a rare blend of size, skill, physicality, and toughness and hopefully will be a fixture in our top 6 in the future.

Future.

OP you might not be familiar with Kassian.

You are making him sound like a young "George Parros to be" when infact he is more of a "Todd Bertuzzi to be" type player. Could very well be a PPG powerforward. Stands up when needed, physical, big and intimidating.

I agree that if we needed toughness and grit we could've gone a number of different ways rather than us trading a Calder Trophy candidate; However, Kassian has a rare blend of size, skill, physicality, and toughness and hopefully will be a fixture in our top 6 in the future.

Future.

There's no way the Canucks win this trade, unless Kassian really blooms in the playoffs and has a Marchand/Bolland-like performance to score some big goals. Otherwise, the Canucks just took a few steps back in terms of chances to win a Cup.

We were absolutely set. Depth scoring and defensive stars win Cups, and 20-goal scorers on 3rd lines is the only common theme of the past 5 cup winners. For some reason MG went against that theme.

Guest The Brown Burrows
After going through the COHO and Kassian threads the dominant rationale among the crowd that likes this trade to bring in Kassian is that he brings an element of "toughness" to the line-up that we didn't previously have, and that COHO didn't have a spot behind Kes and Hank moving into the future. Fair enough COHO ain't exact 6,3 230! However i think these arguments are in many ways flawed. The leading hitter on the Canucks is Lappy. He has 178 hits in 63 games. or 2.83 hits per game, averaging just over 11 TOI per game. He also has 7 fighting majors, scrapping in just over 11% of all games this year. He has 118PIM averaging 1.87pim/gm Zach Kassian on the other hand has 39 hits in 27 games or 1.44 hits per game, averaging 12 TOI per game, he has 2 fighting majors, fighting just 7.5% of all games this year and has accumulated 20PIM averaging 0.74PIM/gm Info used from: http://espn.go.com/n...lties/count/121 I understand that fighting, hits, and PIM, don't mean 'toughness', but a direct correlation of how you play the game can be deduced. Also, Lappy was acquired for a 3rd round pick Kassian was acquired for well... you know To finish this point, toughness does not have to be acquired by trading your rookie of the year candidate, and IMO a point-a-game player in a couple years. Travis Moen for 2nd round Pick? Raymond for Moen straight up? Other ways to acquire this much desired toughness! Second argument: "CoHo has Nowhere to play behind Kes and Dan, and will always have a limited role, with limited Ice time". Cant the theory of having Schneids for Luo, be applied for having Coho as inexpensive insurance policy of sorts, god forbid injury to Kes or Dan. A guy to step into a top 6 role at the drop of the hat? Ask Pittsburgh with Crosby, Malkin and Stall how that's working out. I also feel like people don't truly understand the Loss of offensive Production with CoHo gone. As much as i love Kes this aint a knock on him, just illustrating the offensive prowess of CoHo Ryan Kesler has 19 goals in 58 games or .32 goals per game. He also Averages just over 20 TOI per game with a total of 1,163:10 Minutes on the ice this season. Averaging 1 goal for every 61 minutes of ice time. Not to mention averaging 3.26 TOI of PP time/gm with 7 of his goals coming on the PP, playing with Hank and Dank. Coho has 16 goals in 63 games or .25 goals per game. He averaged just 12.43 TOI per game with a total of 801:56 Minutes of ice time averaging 1 goal for every 50 minutes of ice time. CoHo played 1:50 TOI of PP time and had a remarkable 5 ppg, in limited time without the sedins. Info used from: http://www.nhl.com/i...wName=timeOnIce Cody Hodgson this year is a much more efficient goal scorer than Kes. Obviously Kes brings incredible intangibles to the game but loosing this kind of offense to you lineup cannot be understated. I completely understand that sometime hard decisions have to be made, but trading away this stud, for an unproven guy who has 3 career NHL goals stings a little. Obviously stats can be deceiving but they help gain a better understanding of what a player brings to the table. Hopefully GMMG proves me wrong and we can laugh at this, like the "get rid of burrows thread from 2008" when Kassian is lighting it up as the Canucks version of "Lucic 2.0!" But for right now this one just stings!

Kassien brings an element of toughness to the game and he is better then a George Parros and Travis Moen because he is young and can be a point per game guy in a couple of years. I get that, but arn't we supposed to be trying to go all in for a stanley cup this year because if we were tryingh to win this year we could have got the toughness and grit from a cheaper player like Moen or Ott kept Coho and won the cup. We didn't have to add toughness that has a promising future in exchange for young talent that has an even more promising future.

A trade like this should not be made half way through the season. I wonder how this affects the other players mentality.

There's no way the Canucks win this trade, unless Kassian really blooms in the playoffs and has a Marchand/Bolland-like performance to score some big goals. Otherwise, the Canucks just took a few steps back in terms of chances to win a Cup.

We were absolutely set. Depth scoring and defensive stars win Cups, and 20-goal scorers on 3rd lines is the only common theme of the past 5 cup winners. For some reason MG went against that theme.

I didn't want the Canucks to have any thing to do with Rick Nash as soon as Cody Hodgson's name came up as someone that would have to be traded the other way. Zack Kassien??? Trading Coho wasn't justified even if it meant getting Nash, but at least Nash is a proven NHL player. This trade was just absurd. Cody Hodgson would have had a bigger impact on this cup run then Kassien.

Should've just traded for Parros. pretty sure a 3rd round pick could've got us him

Archived