The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The False Rationale To Trade CoHo

MacdeesSnipinGs

No it cannot be applied here and your reference to Malkin, Crosby, Staal is very flawed because Shero stated today (with reference to not making a trade and being hopeful Crosby would return) that when/if Sid returns Staal will/can play wing. We would not be able to afford to pay CoHo what he'll earn in the next couple years with Henrik and Kes ahead of him. It just doesnt' make sense to pay a 3rd line center the type of money he'd demand.

I don't think this really warrants a new thread - but your numbers (I'll assume they are correct) are undeniable.

The only thing I will disagree with is that I don't think you keep a player like Hodgson playing on the 3rd line just "in case" one of your top guys goes down. You compare it to the Schneider situation - and rightfully so - but I'm one of those who feel that having an elite backup goalie isn't a worthwhile use of assets either.

You could even say that the canucks were sellers at the deadline, trading proven NHL talent for future assets and raw players. Only problem is that the proven Nhl talent has plenty of future skill. Hodgson's numbers are really amzing if you look at the amount of ice time he would get, and his ice time could have been increased, theres alot of situations where AV can play him, but has to be a dumb idiot and keep him on the bench

The fact that they are ignorant hockey fans and purely Canuck fans is THEIR problem.

If half of the idiots in this place knew a tenth of the prospects around this league, no one would be hating on this trade as much as they have.

(Again, unless they've recently bought a Hodgson jersey)

People just don't get it, COHO is not a 3rd line player. Is he supposed to play 3rd line mins until Kesler and Sedin retire? If anything, We did CoHo a favor...Now he has the oppurtunity to blossom even more, be happy for him.

And I for one support this trade, Kassian is exactly what we need now and the future, Not only does he bring the physical play, he has hands, scoring touch and intimidation. We were all skepitical when we aqcuired Higgy and Lappy last season and the were a shoe in with the Van system...why not trust that to be the same outcome with Kassian?

I now hate Mike Gillis...

He has been flubbing deals for how long now?

Ballard...Booth what a stinker of a re-do for Sturm which stunk too...

AV runs this show how he wants and we've seen his ability to lead the team when it's crunch time.

NO CUP FOR VANCOUVER UNTIL AV IS GONE.

Gillis is selling our future to appease an arrogant coach.

Argue away, flame me, I don;t care...I;ve been watching this game and this team long enough to see a great team that is unable to produce due to the short comings of their leaders.

VANCOUVER FAILED ON THIS TRADE AND THE FUTURE JUST GOT A BIT DARKER.

People just don't get it, COHO is not a 3rd line player. Is he supposed to play 3rd line mins until Kesler and Sedin retire? If anything, We did CoHo a favor...Now he has the oppurtunity to blossom even more, be happy for him.

And I for one support this trade, Kassian is exactly what we need now and the future, Not only does he bring the physical play, he has hands, scoring touch and intimidation. We were all skepitical when we aqcuired Higgy and Lappy last season and the were a shoe in with the Van system...why not trust that to be the same outcome with Kassian?

Thats just a generic example.

The point is, his minutes in Vancouver were pretty sheltered. Didn't face top competition because Kesler and Henrik saw top competition.

Malhotra took care of the bulk of the defensive work, so Cody really got some sheltered minutes here.

Hes ready for top 6 time, but its gonna be an adjustment for him when he has guys like Girardi, Chara and Letang working on him more.

* sorry for going a little bit off topic here guys...

The only thing I will disagree with is that I don't think you keep a player like Hodgson playing on the 3rd line just "in case" one of your top guys goes down. You compare it to the Schneider situation - and rightfully so - but I'm one of those who feel that having an elite backup goalie isn't a worthwhile use of assets either.

Wow, this debate isn't going to be settled anytime soon.

But I do have to say this. After Game 6 of the SCF last year everyone was in arms because poor Sedin got ragdolled by Marchand. You think Lapierre or Bieksa would have answered the bell. They didn't. Heck even the twins wouldn't stand up for themselves. I also look at the Sharks series and the beating that Kesler took that essentially turned him from a MVP candidate during the Nashville series to a IR candidate during the finals.

Now think back to the game last night. How many hits and cheap shots did Biz Nasty get in? Look who was giving him the lip service the whole first period. If the pests on the opposition team are looking over their shoulder, they aren't focusing on Hank and Danny and Kess. That is just as valuable as a third line center that can pot 20 goals a year IMO.

And remember the kid is freaking 21 years old. Once he gets some ice time with his teammates he will be just fine. He did not look out of place last night at all and showed he could hit AND play. That setup to Hammy was pretty sweet. All that with probably a few hours sleep and the anxiety of joining a new team with pretty lofty expectations.

I'm sad to see Cody go, but Kassian is going to be a beast. Heck he's already partially there. Check the youtube video of him and Lepisto(sp?). I love the fact that he's in front of the Flyers net alone with 3 Flyers there and when challenged just starts wailling. Our current team sits in front of the net and get puchned, slashed and all they do is talk back. I'm sick of talk, I want action.

A few years back we had Rypien (RIP) and he brought so much energy dropping the mitts with anyone anytime. We haven't had that in the last 2 years. Now we have it and in a package that can play as well.

Stop focusing on what we lost, focus on what we gained. I like the attributes we gained!

Cody Hodgson also plays some of the most sheltered minutes in the NHL when he was here.

Im not saying he won't produce in Buffalo but think of it this way.

When Van played Boston how much Zdeno Chara did Hodgson see?

Now how much Zdeno Chara will Hodgson see when he plays in Buffalo?

There really is 2 sides to the ice time argument

I'll add one more thing that I think played a huge part in GIllis' decision.

Cody has gone through 3 agents in 4 years. His family is very involved in his career. As a former agent did Gillis get any bad vibes by all this? Did he avoid future problems by seeing the signs? Who knows. But I think it figured into it.

Archived