The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The False Rationale To Trade CoHo

MacdeesSnipinGs

There are indeed 2 sides to the ice time argument, so indulge me for a second... :)

Is this the right strategy? Only time will tell. But almost all Stanley Cup winning teams have 3 scoring lines (or at least 2 scoring lines with a 3rd that can chip in occasionally) and we gave up that option this year when we traded away CoHo.

Guest The Brown Burrows
The fact that they are ignorant hockey fans and purely Canuck fans is THEIR problem. If half of the idiots in this place knew a tenth of the prospects around this league, no one would be hating on this trade as much as they have. (Again, unless they've recently bought a Hodgson jersey)

Cody Hodgson was also a center and coldn't play that well on the wing. Kassian is a power forward on the right wing... so I hope he can play really well. Kassian is also better defensively and Pahlsson adds to the defense as well. So we lost a bit of offense and PP skill for a little bit of enhanced defence and a better position for a power forward!

1.) you are judging Kassian on his first rookie season. That would be just as fair as judging Hodgson on his rookie season. Rarely do you see a rookie light it up his first year around...proving again most Canuck fans have a very simple game to game mentality. You expect him to be Lucic his first season, Im not surprised most canuck fans are disappointed with this trade.

2.) Yes, it works out for Pittsburg but how many other teams do you kno have 3 allstar centres on different lines. You are looking at one of the only teams with that type of format ( I will get into why that would work for Pittsburg and not for Canucks/Hodgson in the next point) I don't think Gillis would have said "no comment" when asked if Cody came to him. I don't think Cody did ask for a trade but I believe there was a mutual understanding that something had to happen. If J Staal does not have a problem to stay on that 3rd, good for him but im pretty sure 90% of players who have potential for the top 6 will want to play on the top 6.

3.) Cody Hodgson is a skilled 2-way forward however he is not a checking forward which is usually what is required on that 3rd line. One reason having a top 6 C on the 3rd works out for Pitts is because Jordan Staal can be that 3rd line center, only a lot better. Staal is big, physical and a stud defensively so even though he can contribute offensively, he still does a amazing job in his own end. Hodgson on the other hand is not as well rounded as Staal, so even though he could be a good top 6, he is an very average checking 3rd line forward

4.)By establishing a checking 3rd line, it will free up the top 6 to be more offensive.

5.) Even though player for player this may look as an uneven fair, it meets needs of both teams AND players. This was simply a trade that had to happen. So stop being so pessimistic and judging a rookie on his rookie season. We gained a type of player that we did not have and we are not as one dimension IMO. Kassian will almost certainly not start reaching his potential by this season however he will in a couple seasons, maybe as early as next season. That doesn't change the fact that Kassian will still contribute this year. Also as young player, it will be nice seeing him get some playoff experience with a serious contender early on.

Did this trade have risk. Sure it did since Kassian hasn't broken through like Hodgson has. However, I find it hard to believe Kassian will simply be a bust. He has showcased his talent and speed as a heavyweight which is quite a rare combination. Most PF take longer to get comfortable in the NHL environment. Imagine you come up to the big leagues with some of the best players of the world and at 20 year old you are supposed to go around and nail them. Look at PK Subban. He got criticized for getting to comfortable and leveling other players. Over time Kassian will get comfortable and when he does, he will live up to expectations. He will become a top 6 in a couple of seasons. You better buy your tickets for the bandwagon whiners.

Steal is an excellent 3rd line centre. Tough, big, checks well, skates well, and descent hands. The only attribute that Hodgson shares is the good hands. You Cannot have your 3rd line centre be a defensive liability, which Cody was.

Cody Hodgson was fortunate to be getting 3rd line minutes. The only way a soft, skilled, slow player like him develops is on a bad team that can put him in the 2nd line spot with first pp time.

When you add in the whining and bellyaching, having Daddy and Agent cry to his boss? See ya kiddo, enjoy Buffalo.

I now hate Mike Gillis...

He has been flubbing deals for how long now?

Ballard...Booth what a stinker of a re-do for Sturm which stunk too...

AV runs this show how he wants and we've seen his ability to lead the team when it's crunch time.

NO CUP FOR VANCOUVER UNTIL AV IS GONE.

Gillis is selling our future to appease an arrogant coach.

Argue away, flame me, I don;t care...I;ve been watching this game and this team long enough to see a great team that is unable to produce due to the short comings of their leaders.

VANCOUVER FAILED ON THIS TRADE AND THE FUTURE JUST GOT A BIT DARKER.

I now hate Mike Gillis...

He has been flubbing deals for how long now?

Ballard...Booth what a stinker of a re-do for Sturm which stunk too...

AV runs this show how he wants and we've seen his ability to lead the team when it's crunch time.

NO CUP FOR VANCOUVER UNTIL AV IS GONE.

Gillis is selling our future to appease an arrogant coach.

Argue away, flame me, I don;t care...I;ve been watching this game and this team long enough to see a great team that is unable to produce due to the short comings of their leaders.

VANCOUVER FAILED ON THIS TRADE AND THE FUTURE JUST GOT A BIT DARKER.

Ok MG 'Fanboy' So your argument is that because I'm don't get Paid by the Canucks, I cant have an opinion (In which i based in FACTS) which is a hell of a lot more than most people do in CDC.

So i Guess because i dont get 'Paid' to analyze hockey saying that

1.MG hasn't drafted one player since becoming the GM in 2008 to be currently playing on our roster.

2. Ballard deal hasn't worked out

3. Trading Grabner was probably a mistake

Would all be incorrect

And saying that I think the Kassian deal MIGHT be Number 4 on this list is an "OPINION"

GM's arent perfect and often deals they make don't work out, Even your man crush MG makes mistakes!

my thoughts on this trade...

Cody was playing great but just wasnt going to get the oppertunities behind hank and kes, I understand that this alone is no reason to trade him

BUT,

with this trade I believe that vancouver saw the oppertunity to get Kassian, a big, YOUNG, tough player with plenty of upside, with those previous attributes in mind, I believe at the point the trade was made vancouver could have gotten a much better return of players who are proven. but the fact still remains that they got what they needed NOW, a tough, big player with lots of grit and good hands,

Now back to the aforementioned description, YOUNG, with UPSIDE. this is what i think sealed the deal for vancouver, they gave away a future star for what the needed NOW(toughness, size, grit) and what they see a benefit from in the FUTURE

I believe this trade was made with both the present and the future in mind because as of right now with an unpolished player they get a big gritty player who can contribute which the team needed

and when polished in the not too distant future they will have a star powerforward drooled over of by us fans

Bang on. If Crosby/Malkin/Staal can work in harmony then Henrik/Kesler/Hodgson can as well. Not to mention all 3 penguin players are better player for player. As much as Kesler fans don't like to admit it (and even Kesler himself), Kesler is a grinder. He gets most of his goals through grinding, hardwork, and a decent shot (note: decent shot, not great or awesome). He doesn't possess the same offensive instincts and very few teams would use him as the primary offensive threat. I think Kesler needs to stop trying to change into a finesse player and just play the game that has worked for him in his career. He actually seems to play quite well when playing with other grinders, ie. Hansen and Higgins. I hope he and AV realize that and adjust his game accordingly.

So many people seem to look at Hodgson and Kassian in terms of skill level and who is more "skilled". Rather than think about that, think about how "rare" each player is.

There are countless players like Hodgson in the league if you class Hodgson as a first line centre with smarts and can put up points. There are very few players like Kassian who are big and have the potential of becoming a premier power forward in the league like Lucic. Most teams don't even have one of those type of players. Rare pieces are going to be much harder to come by.

How often do you guys think a player like Kassian will become available? I've even read in this thread that Ott might have cost us more. Brown could have cost us more. The fact is, we got Kassian and Gragnani for Hodgson and Sulzer. It sucks that we lose Hodgson, but do you guys really think we could have had a player like Kassian (a top power forward prospect) at any given time?

It took Gillis his entire time here to get a player like this in the lineup while everyone was screaming that they wanted a big power forward. Well here he is.

Archived