The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

why did we trade cody hodgson

bronski beat

Why the hell did we make the trade if he's not going to make an immediate impact, that was the whole point of this trade was supposedly he brought all this grit and intimidation and could score and what this team needed for the playoffs. Because it's not about the future of this team anymore it's about winning the cup now not later NOW, so why are we waiting on this guy? Stupid Trade.

Guess what Cody Hodgson had better stats then Henrik Sedin in his rookie year and he had better stats then Ryan Kesler in his rookie year as well, and will be a better player down the road.

Oh and to the post about Cody being a defensive liabilty and he isn't as good defensively as Ryan Kesler, guess what MORON Ryan Kesler was a +1 only in his Rookie year with the Vancouver Canucks, Cody Hodgson was a +8 in his rookie year here, which mean Ryan Kesler wasn't as good defenisvely as Cody Hodgson was in his rookie year.

Why the hell did we make the trade if he's not going to make an immediate impact, that was the whole point of this trade was supposedly he brought all this grit and intimidation and could score and what this team needed for the playoffs. Because it's not about the future of this team anymore it's about winning the cup now not later NOW, so why are we waiting on this guy? Stupid Trade.

Because that's the only excuse supporters of the Hodgson-Kassian trade can come up with. "Well ummm yeah.. umm... Kassian's not so great now.. but he should be better in.. err.. 5 years!!!" How many times have I heard this?

The fact of the matter is that Gillis made the trade for the immediate needs of the time. He said so himself. Look how that's working out.

AND .. we clinched our division without Cody .. I am sure Cody would have taken Keith out the other night AND scored a short-handed hat trick .. alas, what shall be, IS .. get over it or it will eat you alive, rob you from sleep, lead to divorce and a drinking problem .. oh wait .. never mind .. :lol:

I was re-reading the 2011-2012 Hockey News Yearbook.

Hodgson was rated the Canucks' #1 prospect.

Kassian was rated the Sabres' #1 prospect.

It will take at least 2-3 years before we see the best of Zack, it takes awhile for big, tought, gritty power forwards to develope. Kesler took a few years, Big Bert took awhile.. He is in the best place to learn with role models like the Sedins, Kesler, etc.

Kassian is going to be a fan favorite if he turns out to be the like Bert, Malone, Hartnell.

Hodgson wanted to be traded. Saying no comment after replying to the question if he wanted to be traded means he wanted to be traded. If not, wouldn't you say no?

Guess what Cody Hodgson had better stats then Henrik Sedin in his rookie year and he had better stats then Ryan Kesler in his rookie year as well, and will be a better player down the road.

Oh and to the post about Cody being a defensive liabilty and he isn't as good defensively as Ryan Kesler, guess what MORON Ryan Kesler was a +1 only in his Rookie year with the Vancouver Canucks, Cody Hodgson was a +8 in his rookie year here, which mean Ryan Kesler wasn't as good defenisvely as Cody Hodgson was in his rookie year.

"There has been talk that Hodgson was becoming a distraction to the team. If this is indeed true (and I'm not saying it is) then removing him from the team would be a positive rather than a negative. And removing Hodgson sooner rather than later would be a benefit to this year's Cup run." Gump

So your condemnation and dismissal is based upon 'talk' -which is hearsay.

Do you have any evidence to support your condemnation and theories?

Why make this trade "if he's not going to make an immediate impact"?

Have you considered that it was not the addition of Kassian which was to provide the desired immediate impact? Yes, he's bigger than Hodgson, and he skates better and he plays a far more physical game. These are things which are part of Kassian's game just as having more of an offensive upside is part of Hodgson's game. However, this is not the impact to which I refer.

Perhaps the removal of Hodgson was the impact which the team was seeking.

There has been talk that Hodgson was becoming a distraction to the team. If this is indeed true (and I'm not saying it is) then removing him from the team would be a positive rather than a negative. And removing Hodgson sooner rather than later would be a benefit to this year's Cup run.

Yes of course, "Cody" was going to be our future captain, and he has been a leader on all of junior teams, etc etc. Well, that was in the juniors, and this is the NHL. I believe there are two kinds of leadership on a team. There is leadership on the ice, the "let's go give'em hell" never say die types who play to the final buzzer, and there's the guys who are good in the locker room. I never really got the sense the Hodgson was a leader in either sense. Perhaps in the future, but not right now.

So, if this scenario is indeed the case, we should be glad that Hodgson was sent out of town, regardless of his ability and whether or not Kassian scores a single point in these playoffs.

regards,

G.

"There has been talk that Hodgson was becoming a distraction to the team. If this is indeed true (and I'm not saying it is) then removing him from the team would be a positive rather than a negative. And removing Hodgson sooner rather than later would be a benefit to this year's Cup run." Gump

So your condemnation and dismissal is based upon 'talk' -which is hearsay.

Do you have any evidence to support your theory?

I really hate the hockey argument that rationalizes the Hodgson trade because "they're different type of players". I'm not buying into that one bit. Hockey history dictates that "points matter" or more importantly "scoring goals" in most occasions. One only has to look at the list of "500 goal scorers" to see most of the best NHL players of all time. Which type of skill set represents players like Gretzky, Lemieux, Sakic, Yzerman ect? Hodgson or Kassian?

Crosby, ovechkin, stamkos, malkin are all examples of current stars that carry their teams and they're goal scorers. Goal scorers are supposed to be "supported" by tough players, not traded for them. And frankly, I feel Hodgson looks to have far more potential to get points and score goals then Kassian. Not that Kassian is a bad player, but if they are different in terms of Hodgson being a "goal scorer" and Kassian being a "banger" then we effed up. Unlucky the bruins were allowed to walk all over us, which seemed to trigger a knee-jerk reaction to add "toughness" to the team...the wrong way.

What shocked me is that the goals that Hodgson was scoring were so clutch. And not just once or twice. Not flukes. I was completely blind sided by the trade, as to me it was obvious Cody wouldn't be traded, as per "Steven stamkos unwritten agreement". Young star showing clutch, consistent goal scoring techniques. Making it look easy. We had a guy like this once. I don't like how negative my post looks either, I wish it didn't look that way. I'm just calling it the way I see it and I'm still gona be cheering Kassian on the whole way.

sigh..............

one month later and the tears are still flowing. give up your cody bromance. he's gone. oh....wait....maybe by some tear in the space time continuum your beloved cody will come back and all will be well in your world. management made a decision, be it good or bad. just the title of this thread speaks an almost air of ownership. "we" did not trade cody. and before the response, i loved cody as a player vand athlete, this is like saying "why did we trade bure??????????" although they were two different players with different circumstances it is still.............

redundant.

edit: and to those posters, such as the one above me saying "toughness doesnt win games, points producers do" well my friend, i respectfully disagree. a team needs a mixture of both. CDC for as long as i can remember has been calling for all sorts of drastic moves to heighten this teams toughness, in other words, bringing in a player that can create space for the big guns. the aquisition the MANAGE MENT made (not WE) was to address said weakness. kass will, in my opinion develop into a star, maybe not the likes of a sakic or even bert but he will help in the area that was glaring the most.

Archived