The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

why did we trade cody hodgson

bronski beat

Why the hell did we make the trade if he's not going to make an immediate impact, that was the whole point of this trade was supposedly he brought all this grit and intimidation and could score and what this team needed for the playoffs. Because it's not about the future of this team anymore it's about winning the cup now not later NOW, so why are we waiting on this guy? Stupid Trade.

Guess what Cody Hodgson had better stats then Henrik Sedin in his rookie year and he had better stats then Ryan Kesler in his rookie year as well, and will be a better player down the road.

Oh and to the post about Cody being a defensive liabilty and he isn't as good defensively as Ryan Kesler, guess what MORON Ryan Kesler was a +1 only in his Rookie year with the Vancouver Canucks, Cody Hodgson was a +8 in his rookie year here, which mean Ryan Kesler wasn't as good defenisvely as Cody Hodgson was in his rookie year.

I'd make the same trade all over again if it were up to me. Goodbye Cody - best of luck. Welcome to Vancouver Zack Kassian. There were more than enough reasons to trade Cody Hodgson - it was best for the Canucks and best for Hodgson. Time for everyone to stop whining.

You're a moron man, look at the team. The Canucks are the top team in the league right now, Hodgson was hand picked easy minutes.

Kesler was on a team that missed the playoffs.

Hodgson isn't in Kesler league when it comes to defense. That's why Kesler won the Selke and why he'll win more.

Hodgson will have a chance at the Masterton, for persevering through an 80 year old's back to play hockey.

I'd make the same trade all over again if it were up to me. Goodbye Cody - best of luck. Welcome to Vancouver Zack Kassian. There were more than enough reasons to trade Cody Hodgson - it was best for the Canucks and best for Hodgson. Time for everyone to stop whining.

Cody Hodgson is a bi*ch. That's why AV never played him. Fans loved him without realizing that in his Rookie Season he thought he should have more minutes than Henrik Sedin & Ryan Kesler. All I can say to him is "Go Fu*k yourself". He should've learnt his place and played well.

He was given opportunity to play wing but he sucked a$$ at it.

So bye bye to shi^&y Sabres you go. When we win the cup, he and his politcal father will cry and we will all laugh.

BTW for those of you who don't know, Cody Hodgson's father who instigated Canucks Management alot about Cody's Ice Time was a political figure in Ontario, campaigning on a few Premier's campaigns.

EOM.

Cody Hodgson is a bi*ch. That's why AV never played him. Fans loved him without realizing that in his Rookie Season he thought he should have more minutes than Henrik Sedin & Ryan Kesler. All I can say to him is "Go Fu*k yourself". He should've learnt his place and played well.

So bye bye to shi^&y Sabres you go. When we win the cup, he and his politcal father will cry and we will all laugh.

BTW for those of you who don't know, Cody Hodgson's father who instigated Canucks Management alot about Cody's Ice Time was a political figure in Ontario, campaigning on a few Premier's campaigns.

EOM.

EOM.

Good luck Cody .. goodbye Cody .. I wish your "fans" here were moved with you .. the "smarmy drool" is getting my feet wet .. your either gloating, whining or crying .. I hear the Sabers Forum has some positions open on "right" wing .. :towel:

True enough that Buffalo is doing better than the Canucks since the trade. Prior to the trade, the Sabres were a .500 hockey club. Since the trade they have been ^much* better. However, how much of that success is due to Hodgson and how much is due to other factors is open to opinion.

Other factors in the current Buffalo success might include:

1.) a change in attitude. The players (for what-ever reason) have decided to "turn it on". What the source of this change is could be from various reasons.

2.) the addition of Marcus Foligno. He has something like 5g and 3a in the last eight games. Some of the time Hodgson had a hand in his goals, but more often than not he doesn't seem to have been a contributing factor.

As to Hodgson's point production, indeed there's been a derth of scoring for Vancouver in these last several games. This being said, Hodgson himself did not start scoring until these last few games. Where was he for the first twelve or so? And just because he has managed to score for the Sabres, this does not mean that, had he not been traded, he would have scored for the Canucks even if he was given top-6 minutes and better wingers (at the expense of Sedin and/or Kesler's ice time).

regards,

G.

Competition within the locker room is a good thing. It forces the top 6 to not only play harder, but also train harder off the ice. This tactic is used often in big companies but works in sports as well. I believe AV himself said he likes a little competition between his players. Of course, now that is Cody is removed, we can see very clearly how the top 6 are performing.

Kassian needs more time to develop, I think he should be playing in the AHL because hes not ready to be an impact player for the team. So if Gillis brought him in for the playoffs this year I think that was a bad move. Its hard to say who would be more effective during the playoffs, Kassian or Hodgson. Kassian will fight and hit but hes just not fully developed, while Hodgson was putting up points and adding crucial offensive depth which is important in the post season. The team needed more toughness, I like the trade but as for something that will help this year in the playoffs I don't think Kassian will.

The only issue with the trade is the timing. Why trade Cody now when we have a scoring Third line centerman? Last year's finals had our top two lines shut down. It would come down to the third line. Especially if god forbid we lose Kes or Hank.

I don't question that this trade will bring value to the canucks, but it doesn't look like it will bring an effect now. And we needed a positive contribution now (unless we are planning next year to make the run?) Why not have Cody finish the season, have a post-season shot, then trade him when his value is potentially higher? (Several GM's said they'd wish they knew Hodgson was available.) Unless Gillis was thinking Hodgson wouldn't cut it in the playoffs? In that case i'll be paying attention to Buffalo's run this year, looking like they'll make it.

That said, i'm no GM, i have no clue what is happening in the back end of Gillis' office. Hoping this turns out to be a win win.

Everything is speculative. Would be more effective in his offensive role than kassian in his physical role etc.

But those doubting the trade based on coho vs kassian are ignoring the fact that really pauhlson (sp) was brought in to take the third line center position as a shutdown player. So it would seem that mg is trying to develop a defensively responsible third line capable of some offense at times as well as sustain team speed and physicality.

I really think that pauhlson is here to partially replace manny as well as alleviate the defensive responsibility of Kesler. Kesler was forced to have to do it all last year.

So far the third line has been providing offense.

All this being said assuming that the rumors that coho camp asked for a trade are false

Archived