The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

why did we trade cody hodgson

bronski beat

Yeah, this is true at a lot of levels. While MG traded Cody for Kassian, Zack isn't Cody's replacement: that's Pahlsson, and he's doing a pretty good job of it, not just defensively but offensively. Hansen and Higgins are definitely thriving offensively with Pahlsson as their center, and overall, it's a stronger two-way line. I expect Pahlsson to be back for another year or two at this rate, and in that time, we'll see if Schroeder can make the jump to the NHL, and what we've got with Kassian. It wouldn't shock me to see Kesler drop back to 3rd line center in a couple of years if he can't get back into 30 goal territory or find himself as a playmaker. Loved Cody while he was here but he's first line or bust for a team like ours unless he can improve his skating and defense enough to be a two-way player. Beyond all the backroom issues, that's the hockey reason why he's gone.

The more interesting question to me is, "Why didn't we trade Cody Hodgson for a proven player?"

The fact that Gillis didn't ante up Hodgson for a expensive rental player at the deadline given our window of opportunity here is unusual. The fact that he didn't acquire that player says one of two things: Either that player was out of reach, even with Hodgson thrown in; or that Gillis isn't 100% sold on this being the year to make such a move.

On that note, Hodgson didn't just want more icetime here. He wanted THE icetime. Meaning Henrik's, not Kesler's. ie. The cushy offensive zone starts that get you the most easy points against the easiest competition. This is what gets guys like Stamkos the points and it's what got Henrik an Art Ross and Hart. However, Hodgson is not Stamkos nor Henrik and he likely never will be comparable.

What i like about the Hodgson trade is that he filled two team needs while getting rid of a potential distraction. I for one won't miss the talk about how Hodgson is being screwed here. But i won't like all the game-to-game of Hodgson's progress in Buffalo. 'Hey, how about that Grabner?' Cheers.

TOML

I agree with the first part of your post and puzzled at the second

IF you are going to give up on what was roundly appraised by hockey minds as a steal at #10 in the draft, AND you are in a Cup contention year, you'd better be getting someone who will IMPROVE your chances immediately.

IF the Canucks did not have any new or developed muscle it may be excusable. But the fact is Gillis brought in Pinizzotto (who is day to day last I heard), Byron Bitz (who should be healthy for the playoffs) and Weise. And we also have Volpatti (who was projected to be ready also). Sure Kassian may one day evolve into more that just a tough guy and develop more into a Bertuzzi or Lucic type of power forward, but for this year he's just another big body with moderate hockey skills, and because of his age and experience, he's not even the top of the heap of that group yet. The team could bring in whoever on that list that is playing the best at the time instead of Kassian, AND still have their once prized rookie and the scoring threat he brings.

Those of us who are questioning this move are not doing so because we want to wallow in sentiment, its because we still haven't gotten a reasonable reason for the move AT THIS TIME. I have said that in the long run it may work out for both teams, but why pull the plug on Hodgson now?

I don't believe for a second that Cody wanted out of Vancouver, a team near the top of the standings, with a realistic chance of getting back to the SCF. He has been nothing but professional outside the dressing room, so I don't see him as being anything different inside. Was Cody screwed because of his agent and/or father being obnoxious and demanding? (ie. Lindros) maybe. His father was a minister in the disastrous Harris government, another belligerent Conservative, so its possible. Cody is still a very young man and could have been convinced, wrongly, that this was the only way to go.

But it doesn't mean that the Canucks had to bow to these pressures. At least until the Summer. He was our 4th leading scorer on a team where scoring was what failed us (along with goaltending) last years final. The opinion that he "just didn't fit in" is laughable. Gillis was rightly concerned about defense depth this last two seasons and addressed that. Canucks needed to get tougher? He also addressed that (see above). Yet scoring depth is thrown away? If Danny is out for a while, or gawd forbid another injury on the top 6, he would have been nice to have in the back pocket.

Pahlsson and Malhotra's contracts are very close to the average NHL cap hit - as is Raymond's - people who are critical of these contracts haven't spent enough time looking around the NHL at what the average player looks like - these guys are good values for their cap hits. I think Vancouver fans tend to get a skewed sense of market value as the vast majority of Canucks are good contracts - and a few of them, like Burrows and Higgins, are simply amongst the most underpaid players in the NHL.

Part of what makes the Kassian deal such a good one is the fact that his contract is for three years at $870K. He is already well worth his cap hit, and in two years...

On the other hand, Hodgson is making twice that, and has an agent who thinks he is in the same class as Steven Stamkos - resigning him after next season will be a nightmare.

Archived