Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bronski beat

why did we trade cody hodgson

422 posts in this topic

1/3 of his years having more goals than assists is much different than a career (at all levels) where Grabner posts a 2:1 ratio of goals to assists. Have you forgotten the debate, son?

Seriously, its like you are going out of your way to misinterpret anything I say. You want Grabner but you don't want Grabner? WTF? You want me to debate your self-chosen selection of draft picks and ignore the failures? You want to discuss Nonis trading away picks and comparing that to picks Gillis traded away? You want to discuss the trade deadline moves Nonis made and wasted picks on? Have you forgotten that?

Until you show the ability to understand me there isn't any point in debating your (deliberate?) misinterpretation.

PS Grabner sucks. Only the worst teams in the league would accept a player like him, and not for long.

I'm just Hoping that we find another talented centerman before the Sedins retire. If Kesler is still here when the Sedins sail off, I trust Gillis to already have a prospective 2nd line center.

It hurts to have Hodgson go before we see his potential but Gillis wants a cup now, now, now. I'm sure he'll do well in Buffalo and now he'll have more opportunities to utilize his slapshot against Boston:) It was unfortunate we stifled his development with limited icetime. At least Burke/Nonis' core is still here and amazing.

ok, i think there is alot more to this deal than meets the eye. first the fact that when mike gillis was asked if cody asked for a trade he said no comment. which would make us think he did. but im sure we all heard cody's interview with james duthie the kid sounded really shocked. meaning most likely he didnt ask for one. rumour is cody's agent and dad pushed for this trade. now people saying he was never going to play before henrik and ryan acting like he is chained to only be a centerman. can he not just play on the second line wing?

sedin sedin burrows

booth kesler hodgson

higgins pahlson hansen

this kid was sopposed to be our future captian when kesler and sedin were gone. nothing against zack kassian i love the kid but i really strongly beleive we could have adressed our toughness issue without trading hodgson like cmon. i would much rather overypay raymond and a 1st for moen or ott.

coach v never liked cody he never liked shirokov he never liked grabner. i have a hard time picturing niklas jensen playing on this team same with schroader. and with kassian i think he is going to be treated like ballard. he is going to make him a healthy scratch in the playoffs only playing him when we have injuries. which would make this trade look extremely bad. cody could have played wing with kesler everyone would have been happy we would have the defence/checking 3rd line. cody hodgson dosn't have one negative thing to his game, he has all the traits to be a great team leader. the truth is we could have adressed our toughness issue without trading cody.

i also think coach v is a terrible coach on an amazing team.

one more thing this trade really worries me for what we can get for schnieder

yes i did, when henrik retires and kesler's body has had enough hodgson would be captain

Not even close... Our next captain hasn't even been drafted or traded for yet.

Cody wanted out, he and his father complained about ice time, He may turn out to be a great player, but Kassians type of player is much more sought after. Big, burly, fast and physical with good hockey sense.

We are modeling our team after Detroit. NO PRIMA DONNAS

Big wingers are not in at all in short supply. In fact Buffalo has called up two similar players from the AHL that have both surpassed what Kassian was doing in way fewer games. Foligno and Tropp have both been very good and with Sulzer chipping in the and Hodgson scoring the Sabres are very happy with this move.

The Canucks picked up a a guy playing on the fourth line (albeit with loads potential) and a defenceman in Gragnani that will most likely be gone in the summer. I don't think this is going to be a positive trade down the road.

Top line centres are hard to come by. Buffalo definitely got the hotter commodity in this trade with the much higher potential.

Now that Hodgson is starting to produce the pressure on Kassian also will start to go up. It is going to be tough for him in Vancouver. Brutal market for rookies to come up in. Probably only Montreal and Toronto have more media and fan scrutiny on the young players.

I'm still in favour of board members needing at least 100 posts or something before they are allowed to make threads.

And bring back the minus button.

To correct Bertuzzi Babe, when Hodgson was drafted they were talking about Vancouver getting a steal, and about his on ice vision and his LEADERSHIP ability, and potential to be a future captain. This was from people like Bob McKenzie at TSN.

You have to give up something to get something. As long as Kassian turns into a Bertuzzi/Neely type player (If he gets 60 points a season, plays like a wrecking ball, etc.) then it would be worth it. Power Forwards are hard to find.

Short term however. If Kes or Henrik got injured in the playoffs, having a player like Cody would have been good insurance.

This is deal is more long term help, than short-term. It was a bold move, and typical unexpected Mike Gillis. However unless Kassian was the guy that Gillis coveted, maybe he should have looked more on the open market, and perhaps he might have gotten a better deal, perhaps not.

I'm not upset we lost Grabner. I'm upset that to make that deal we had to give up a first rounder. I would have looked elsewhere, and looked for another d-man. Quinton Howden may very well be another solid power forward and a good winger that would could use long term.

Don't forget we still have Steven Reinprecht who's going to be called up come playoffs. He's also a center.. a $2M center who would still put Cody in the spot of "not needed". Canucks just have to wait until regular season ends, as he has to clear re-entry waivers during the season.

I'm still in favour of board members needing at least 100 posts or something before they are allowed to make threads.

And bring back the minus button.

Jesus, just give it up already.

You fans are so fickle.

You Hodgson homers are so ridiculous.

What did Hodgson do for us in his first year?

You guy's just want instant gratification....

you are all crying like a bunch of babies.

Grow up and give the trade some time.

I'm sick of hearing this whining....

You Suck!

I dont know why a lot of people had Cody penciled in to be the Canucks captain of the future. Christ half this board wanted him gone last year and called him a bust and wanted gillis head for drafting him. Dude scores some goals as a 3rd line center and all of a sudden he is the next Crosby. Give it a couple of years before people can really asses this trade.

Boston fans and media are laughing at us right now thinking we can beat them by adding a bigger guy in the line up, while losing our top rookie cody.

Cody Hodgson was supposed to be a top 2 center and the future captain of this team....according to who exactly? If you think about it, this is pretty much impossible. He would be behind Kesler and Hank for a good 5+ years. So this silly idea so many people seem to have in their head really doesn't make a lot of sense.

And please, don't give me that ''well he could have played on the wing'' crap. We witnessed this experiment and Cody wasn't nearly as effective on the wing. He is a natural center and playing him on the wing would not be using him to his full potential at all. This would piss his agent off even more.

Enough already. Hodgson's gone... let's move on. It's like some of you are pining for a girlfriend who left you.

Kassian is a plug. We lost in this trade.

Oh but YOU said he was supposed to be the future captain of the CANUCKS, did you not? He may be an amazing person........however, unless you have some sort of crystal ball or have been to a palm reader lately, I believe there's only one outstanding case of idiocy here..........

At least add something new if you're going to address this topic once again. You've added nothing at all.

To the point, Cody was gone in the summer anyway if he didn't go at the deadline. Gillis saw the deal he wanted and he took it.